Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

is the 450h built in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-09, 06:25 PM
ToyotaLexus
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default is the 450h built in Japan?

is the 450h built in Japan?

thanks!
Old 02-26-09, 10:48 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

it is my understanding that all lexus hybrids are built in japan
Old 02-27-09, 05:08 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Be sure to look at the VIN (vehicle identification number). If it starts with a J then it was manufactured in Japan.

Some RX's are manufactured in Canada and most of the RX's are manufactured in Japan.

Last edited by Trexus; 02-27-09 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (03-04-18)
Old 02-27-09, 05:19 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I am pretty sure most of the new rx's are made in Japan, and all hybrids are
Old 02-28-09, 05:36 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

All Hybrids are built in Japan. Initial 2010 RX (Non Hybrids) will be built in Japan, then gradualy shift the production to newly built Canadian Assembling Facility.

Do keep in mind, since the car is still a technically "Japanese Imported" car, and only "assembled" in Canada, it will still carry the "Jxxxxxxxxxxxx" VIN tag. The only place that you can find the final assembling location is the plate on Driver side door frame.
Old 03-18-09, 01:08 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

when i got my GS last october, my saleman told me that only the base RX (at that time) was made in japan. all other RX made in canada (except for hybrid - as mentioned by others above). and he did mention that there is a quality difference between made in japan, and made in canada. made in canada is still built well, but not quite the same "feel" as the made in japan ones. interpret this any way you want, but if i were to buy an RX, the final assembly would have to be "japan".
Old 03-21-09, 06:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ while i also like my cars built in japan, i really cant say that there is a difference. the plant is met with the same expectations, only in a different location.
Old 03-22-09, 07:39 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ while i also like my cars built in japan, i really cant say that there is a difference. the plant is met with the same expectations, only in a different location.
There shouldn't be. They use the same machines to manufacture individual parts. So it wouldn't "feel different" at all. The only difference would be how well the workers assemble it. I heard the Japanese Lexus workers do some crazy training before even being allowed to screw in bolts.
Old 03-25-09, 03:22 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meowmix52
There shouldn't be. They use the same machines to manufacture individual parts. So it wouldn't "feel different" at all. The only difference would be how well the workers assemble it. I heard the Japanese Lexus workers do some crazy training before even being allowed to screw in bolts.
that could very well be true. which would explain why a car built in japan has a better "feel" to it than the ones made in canada.
Old 04-19-09, 08:58 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

If assembled in Canada of Japanese components, it will NOT carry the "Jxxxxxx" VIN tag. I'm 100% sure of that. The J- for Japan- represents where it rolled off from brand new.

Originally Posted by hzhao
All Hybrids are built in Japan. Initial 2010 RX (Non Hybrids) will be built in Japan, then gradualy shift the production to newly built Canadian Assembling Facility.

Do keep in mind, since the car is still a technically "Japanese Imported" car, and only "assembled" in Canada, it will still carry the "Jxxxxxxxxxxxx" VIN tag. The only place that you can find the final assembling location is the plate on Driver side door frame.
Old 04-22-09, 08:13 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by meowmix52
I don't want to say which plant can build better cars. As you said, the training are really thorough and detailed. And, I believe Canada's workers should recieve the same level of training. However, JDM usually will add more flavors into their local training due to the essence of their culture, and this usually makes their workers more focus on daily works. IMO.
Old 10-06-14, 06:00 AM
cactusgary
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 450h built ?

They are now building the 450h in Canada. Those of you who commented that a better car is made in Japan, clearly have not toured the plant in Canada. All the main body work is done by very exciting robots working at incredible speeds. You could eat off the floor - a plant tour is definitely work the ride to Cambridge!
Old 10-06-14, 11:06 AM
SeventyGTX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just ordered a 2015 and the dealer said it will be coming from Japan.
Old 10-19-14, 08:34 AM
Art234
Driver School Candidate

Our 2010 was built in Japan. Our 2015 was built in Ontario, Canada. I was surprised as well.
There appears to be no difference in quality between the two, however, so I suppose that's a good thing.
Old 10-19-14, 09:35 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

If VIN begins with JT, it's Japan, if 2T, it's Canada. It would be interesting to see if there is any statistically significant difference in issues/warranty repairs for Canada vs. Japan models. Anecdotally, I can say that my Canada-built RX loaner have always felt more "loose" than the Japan ones, with rattles and what not, but to be fair, most of my "data" dates back to the 2004-2009 generation.

Then again, the 3rd generation GS, which was notorious for rattles, was built at Lexus' award-winning Tahara plant in Japan, so we certainly can't generalize.

Quick Reply: is the 450h built in Japan?