Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Dead battery in 2008 GS450H / remote window down problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-08, 07:25 AM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead battery in 2008 GS450H / remote window down problem

I have no idea what happened but now it works, maybe the battery needed more time on the charger

PS if it does happen some time in the futue can I reset it myself. The remote window down is one of my favorite features. I always put all the windows down and wait a minute before I enter on a hot day

Lexus seems to put undersize batteries in their hybrids, the 07 RX400H went dead more times than I can count.

The GS450H went dead twice in the couple months I had it. The first time may have been my fault because there is a very small chance I may have left the lights on. But the second time I am positive I didn't leave anything on.

By the way I spent a long time looking for the battery until I got out the book and discovered it was in the trunk.

My problem is that the dealer had my remote set to lower all the windows and tilt the sun roof if I held the open button on the remote, but after the battery went dead for the second time the windows and tilt the sun roof feature does not work if I hold the open button does not work if I hold the remote.

The service department is closed for the weekend, can I reset it myself?

Last edited by silvervett; 08-16-08 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-16-08, 09:18 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

with car, on, try holding each of your windows button on the up, until you see soft beep... that should reset automatic windows feature...
Old 08-16-08, 07:04 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

Thanks, the battery they put in the hybrid seems to be undersized. I guess the starter system does not put much stress on the battery so they thought they could get by with a small battery. Or maybe my assumption is wrong and the car needs a lot more power to start , and if the battery isn't fully charged the car won't start.The first time it happened with the RX I had a Coleman plug in cooler running for a few minutes with the engine off, and another time I had the radio on so I could listen to it while I did work in the garage. The GS450H will be 2 months old in a few days and I had the battery die twice. I have always left the radio on n the car while I did work outside or in the garage and have never had a battery die like this in other cars

Has anyone else noticed that the RX ad GS hybrids seem to have problems with batteries loosing a charge?
Old 08-16-08, 08:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Well the garage radio part can be solved with a portable $10 radio from Wal*Mart.
Old 08-16-08, 08:53 PM
f=ma
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Well the garage radio part can be solved with a portable $10 radio from Wal*Mart.
serisouly, get up to date. pffft radios.
Old 08-16-08, 09:41 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I probably have a dozen radios all over the house, I even have an MP3 player with headphones, but sometime when I get home from a drive there may be something on talk radio I want to finish listing to so I just roll down all the windows and crank up the radio and do some work in the garage while I listen to the radio.

I moved into this house almost a year ago and I still have a bunch of stuff in the garage that has to be unpacked so i listen to the car radio while I work.

Sometimes I hook up the MP3 player to an FM transmitter and have it broadcast the MP3s into the car radio
Old 08-17-08, 04:30 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by silvervett
Thanks, the battery they put in the hybrid seems to be undersized. I guess the starter system does not put much stress on the battery so they thought they could get by with a small battery. Or maybe my assumption is wrong and the car needs a lot more power to start , and if the battery isn't fully charged the car won't start.The first time it happened with the RX I had a Coleman plug in cooler running for a few minutes with the engine off, and another time I had the radio on so I could listen to it while I did work in the garage. The GS450H will be 2 months old in a few days and I had the battery die twice. I have always left the radio on n the car while I did work outside or in the garage and have never had a battery die like this in other cars

Has anyone else noticed that the RX ad GS hybrids seem to have problems with batteries loosing a charge?
change your habits to suit your car. or maybe there is some higher power battery that can fit that space as well?

I have never ever had issue with Prius which I had for 3 years and had tiny battery. But then again, I never used electricity without power being on.