Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Ok, I gave in and got the Vaistech SLI

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 07:24 PM
ler0y
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, I gave in and got the Vaistech SLI

Ok, I gave in and got the Vaistech SLI for my 2006. I have to admit, it was a bit of an impulse buy, but I've been mulling over the idea for the past 2 years now. Ideally I think I would have wanted the Dice Electronics unit, but the car audio place didn't have one. I also paid much more for it than it is worth considering the rate of exchange with the US dollar now.

But anyways. The annoying part has more to do with the apple ipod than anything else. Everything has to be organized into playlists, and considering I have between 10,000 and 20,000 songs, it could get quite tedious to do so. Eventually I'll take the time to do it, but like I said its quite annoying but due to iTunes more than anything else. Otherwise it works as advertised.

I'm still in the process of trying it out so I'll report back when I have more results.
Old 05-25-08, 07:43 PM
soda97
Driver School Candidate

if I have an iphone, could my videos show up on the nav screen?

soda
Old 06-02-08, 04:26 PM
jditom
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ler0y
Ok, I gave in and got the Vaistech SLI for my 2006. I have to admit, it was a bit of an impulse buy, but I've been mulling over the idea for the past 2 years now. Ideally I think I would have wanted the Dice Electronics unit, but the car audio place didn't have one. I also paid much more for it than it is worth considering the rate of exchange with the US dollar now.

But anyways. The annoying part has more to do with the apple ipod than anything else. Everything has to be organized into playlists, and considering I have between 10,000 and 20,000 songs, it could get quite tedious to do so. Eventually I'll take the time to do it, but like I said its quite annoying but due to iTunes more than anything else. Otherwise it works as advertised.

I'm still in the process of trying it out so I'll report back when I have more results.
The annoying playlist thing is not Apple's fault but VAIS. Apple organizes tunes anyway you want and VAIS is coming out with a upgrade that will let you do more functions like the iPod. They claim it is weeks away. I have the VAIS as well and would like to have the upgrade. Other than that I do not like that some functions no not work when in motion unless you cut some wires and do a hack.
Old 06-05-08, 09:06 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 things that made the unit more manageable for me are:
I put the iPod in the glove compartment and I left enough slack that I can bring it over to the driver. After hitting Scan a few times, it switches to iPod mode so I can control the iPod using the iPods wheel.

Another thing I did was to create a playlist with ALL of my songs. This allows me to select the ALL playlist then shuffle.

I hadn't heard about the new firmware, but am now jumping over to the Vaistech forum to learn more about it.

Overall, I am very happy with it.. My mom has a Dice unit for her BMW and I think the Vaistech does a better job.
Old 06-14-08, 01:29 PM
ler0y
Driver

Well, I have the 2006, so I can't even get any display from the ipod on the NAV screen. I think you can for the 2007. I haven't really looked into it too much yet.

But yeah, I'm putting all my songs into playlists, but it takes a lot of time since I pretty well have to go through them one at a time.

How is the Dice Electronics device? I was thinking of getting that one initially.

If Vais does come up with a firmware upgrade, I'm wondering how to get it on. I had my installation done in a shop so I have no idea how to get at it.
Old 06-14-08, 06:22 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Best thing to do is contact Vais. But, you might want to check it out yourself. Most of the time when you have other people install they tend to forget to connect certain wires, which causes headaches. On my previous vehicle, I took my car to the shop to get the ipod adapter, and came home realizing it does not work. Took it back, and it was just not connected. I believe when you get the Vais, they come with instruction. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to open your center console to check.

Here is a thread that will help you get started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=Vais

There should be other threads for more info. Just do a search. Hope that helps!
Old 07-07-08, 06:04 PM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jditom
The annoying playlist thing is not Apple's fault but VAIS. Apple organizes tunes anyway you want and VAIS is coming out with a upgrade that will let you do more functions like the iPod. They claim it is weeks away. I have the VAIS as well and would like to have the upgrade. Other than that I do not like that some functions no not work when in motion unless you cut some wires and do a hack.

turns out the upgrade to emulate the ipod (songs by artist etc) only works with gen5 navi systems. add due respect, time to check out scosche.com