Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Choices For 2009 GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 01:19 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choices For 2009 GS450h

I currently own a 2007 LS460. I will be ordering a 2009 GS450h from my dealer in July. In making this change, I want the fun-to-drive-ness of a hybrid, and I know I must sacrifice comfort in doing so. However, I want to minimize the decrease in comfort in going from a LS to a GS. So I considered the Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System. However, it only comes with run flat tires. In order to put regular tires on the GS, I must buy new wheels as well as new tires, my salesman tells me.

My questions are as follows: 1) Is it true that I have to replace wheels as well as tires if I have to change from runflat tires to regular tires after I buy the car? 2) Which will give me better comfort: a) Active power stabilizer suspension system with runflat tires, or b) NO active power stabilizer suspension system with regular tires?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Ex-Lexic; 04-28-08 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 01:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's false information. i am pretty sure you can just switch out the tires from runflat to non-runflat. sc430 people did that, and i think some 3gs owners did that too

regular tires will give you more comfort for sure. APSSS pretty much does not create harsher ride at all, that's the beauty of it. and if you want handling, trust me that's one option you WANT

if i were you i would order APSSS and just change the tires myself to non-runflats like the michelin pilot sport a/s
Old 04-28-08, 01:41 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

APSSS is not going to give you better comfort, it gives you better handling.

yes, agree with Henry, work it out with the dealer to swap out runflats for non-runflats with spare, runflats cost more, tell them to do it as good will gesture.
Old 04-28-08, 04:27 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

GS400h? is that new model or typo?

I just saw the ad on some websites where it says GS400h as well.
Old 04-28-08, 04:43 PM
Ex-Lexic
Driver

Originally Posted by STIG
GS400h? is that new model or typo?

I just saw the ad on some websites where it says GS400h as well.
Typo. Edit/changed to GS450h. Thanks.
Old 04-28-08, 07:17 PM
stevil
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not totally sure about this, but I think if you have the Active Power Stabilization Suspension System, there is no room in the trunk for a spare. I recall reading that the APSSS unit takes up room in the trunk where the spare tire would go, which is why the run-flat tires are mandatory when you order. You may want to validate this with someone who has APSSS though. I do not have it, but I do have run-flats, and I do have a donut spare in the trunk.

Also, for what it's worth regarding the counter-sway that APSSS provides and any perception of "comfort". A few months ago I was watching a show on new car technology and there was an inventor who had a car that acted kind of like a motorcycle, in that you would lean to steer. It allowed for better manouverability. When asked if the swaying back and forth would make people sick he replied that it actually helped reduce motion sickness due to the natural motion and the way our bodies respond to changes in inertia. He said staying upright was actually worse for motion sickness when one takes a sharp corner.
Old 04-28-08, 07:23 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

I am sure that you can take out the run-flats and put in some normal tires.....your sales person is just not getting it right.
Old 04-29-08, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am 100% sure you can change to non-runflat without changing the rims. I would make that a condition of your sale. I would also double check on the spare tire.
Old 05-19-08, 07:51 AM
SierraFred
Driver School Candidate

I just changed from the OEM Dunlop run-flats to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 2008 GS350 AWD with no fitment problems. Just 1200 miles on the car, but I wanted to improve the ride. Costco did the install, reset the pressure monitors, no problems at all there. They did insist on inspecting the trunk to verify that the donut spare was there. Apparently they have a policy of not replacing run-flats with normal tires if there is no physical spare.
I am experiencing a resonance with the Michelins, however, quite noisy at around forty MPH. Has anyone else had this problem, or do I just have a bad set of tires? Just had the car aligned, no apparent balance problems.
Old 05-19-08, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by SierraFred
I just changed from the OEM Dunlop run-flats to Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 2008 GS350 AWD with no fitment problems. Just 1200 miles on the car, but I wanted to improve the ride. Costco did the install, reset the pressure monitors, no problems at all there. They did insist on inspecting the trunk to verify that the donut spare was there. Apparently they have a policy of not replacing run-flats with normal tires if there is no physical spare.
I am experiencing a resonance with the Michelins, however, quite noisy at around forty MPH. Has anyone else had this problem, or do I just have a bad set of tires? Just had the car aligned, no apparent balance problems.
that doesn't sound right, i had a/s before and it was very quiet. you sure your alignment is ok?
Old 05-19-08, 10:42 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

My bet is that they didnt balance the tire right.
Old 05-20-08, 08:40 AM
SierraFred
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the responses. I will have both checked again.
Old 05-20-08, 12:27 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Check it at a differnent place and get a second opinion.