Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Thinking of returning - GS450h recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-08, 09:02 PM
gsdriver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Thinking of returning - GS450h recommendations?

I'm a former Lexus owner (2nd generation GS300) who switched to Mercedes for my current car, but I'm thinking about switching back. I test drove a GS450h and liked how quiet it was.

Do any current GS450h owners have recommendations for or against it?

I searched the forums, and it looks like the 450h has the same dashboard rattle problems as the GS350. But other than that, is the GS450h more trouble prone than other GS models? Is regular maintenance more complicated or expensive with the hybrid? There are a lot of messages about tire problems on the RX400h forum about tire problems, does that apply to the GS450h too?
Old 04-01-08, 09:21 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Not sure about what problem the RX400h's tire problem is, but I own a GS350. So far no noise from the cabin, some people are more paranoid then others. Reading online tend to make people get a little more emotional. lol, emotional.

The thing is, if you drive a lot, the hybrid is your answer. Also, in about 10 years... if you plan to keep it for that long will pay off in gas from what I have read and so on. I don't plan on keeping mine for that long, so I opted for the GS350. People who want more power go for the GS460.

Don't buy the hybrid just because its the top of the line for the GS line. Get something that can accommodate what you need and then get all the options you want.
Old 04-01-08, 10:03 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure the 450H owners will chime in, but it is a great vehicle. Seems like a lot of GS owners (myself included) have dash rattle problems, but I assume this problem will be less apparent in later build models.

Just one warning, make sure you check out the size of the trunk and see if it's large enough for you. The hybrid battery limits the usable space in the trunk.
Old 04-01-08, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Id say go for it. The dash rattle problem if you have it is fixable. I had mine done on the first shot. WARNING.... check the trunk space. 350 or 450h it is pretty small for a car of this size.
Old 04-01-08, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

imho gs450h is an awesome car -- except the trunk. if that's something you can live with, then i think that's an awesome choice
Old 04-02-08, 10:02 AM
mahroni
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gsdriver
I'm a former Lexus owner (2nd generation GS300) who switched to Mercedes for my current car, but I'm thinking about switching back. I test drove a GS450h and liked how quiet it was.

I searched the forums, and it looks like the 450h has the same dashboard rattle problems as the GS350. But other than that, is the GS450h more trouble prone than other GS models? Is regular maintenance more complicated or expensive with the hybrid? There are a lot of messages about tire problems on the RX400h forum about tire problems, does that apply to the GS450h too?
I have my 2008 GS450h for sale if you are interested. Original sticker was $61k. I got it about 4 months ago. It has 3100 miles on it. i'm asking $52,900 for it.
Old 04-02-08, 01:05 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

I've had my 450h for over a year now, and I'm very happy with my choice. Yes, the dashboard area and other rattles and squeaks are annoying and should not be there on a $60K car, but some of the issue are fixable (I had the most annoying windshield creak fixed), and there are absolutely no other problems that I have personally experienced or have seen others reported.

Most 450h cars do come with run-flat tires, and they provide extremely harsh ride. Many people (including myself) had their run-flats replaced with regular tires, which has a tremendous positive impact on the ride quality.

I believe the 450h is an absolutely unique car that has no rival in the industry. While some other V8 cars can boast better handling and some may have slightly more powerful engines, NONE can claim mileage in mid- to upper-20s!!! NONE! And none have the super-smooth CVT transmission like in the 450h.
Old 04-03-08, 12:14 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Wow you're a long time lurker, congrats on your 1st post after 6 years!

The GS450h is a stellar vehicle.
Old 04-05-08, 12:19 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I would want to sell my GS350 and get the GS450h. I just cant afford the price hike for being green.
Old 04-14-08, 03:11 AM
color_wolf
Driver School Candidate

I would be one to say that you shouldn't get the 450h. I have had mine for over a year and I just don't like it. The driving dynamics are horrible for a sports sedan ... I feel like I am driving a boat. I have driven the merc e class and many 5 series and both just drive and feel way better than the lexus. The only reason that I would get the lexus is if I were a gadget guy. I personally am currently looking to get rid of my car and replace it with an m3 or s5.
Old 04-14-08, 05:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree, if anyone is look for a true performance sedan, the GS is not it. I for one already know that before I bought the GS. That is not saying that the GS is not as good as the MB or BMW, the GS is as good or better than the MB or BMW in other areas.
Old 09-18-08, 11:27 AM
Tomotero
Driver School Candidate

Default GS 450h is an extraordinary car!

Originally Posted by gsdriver

I'm love my car, but I'm seeking to do a lease transfer. Only 19 months remain the payment is $1090. The car is loaded!! Every option including Dynamic cruise, Mark Lenvinson CD/DVD, Satellite, Spider wheels, all the goodies. No fees or costs to drive off. I'll even make the 1st payment. I'm listed on Swapalease.com Do you know anyone interested?
Old 09-18-08, 11:33 AM
Tomotero
Driver School Candidate

I have a beautiful loaded, loaded silver 2007 GS 450h. Looking to do a lease transfer. No drive off fees or costs, just assume the lease for 19 months. I can send pics and details. Hollywood area. Truly an extrodinary car!
Old 09-18-08, 11:38 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Modeler
I've had my 450h for over a year now, and I'm very happy with my choice. Yes, the dashboard area and other rattles and squeaks are annoying and should not be there on a $60K car, but some of the issue are fixable (I had the most annoying windshield creak fixed), and there are absolutely no other problems that I have personally experienced or have seen others reported.

Most 450h cars do come with run-flat tires, and they provide extremely harsh ride. Many people (including myself) had their run-flats replaced with regular tires, which has a tremendous positive impact on the ride quality.

I believe the 450h is an absolutely unique car that has no rival in the industry. While some other V8 cars can boast better handling and some may have slightly more powerful engines, NONE can claim mileage in mid- to upper-20s!!! NONE! And none have the super-smooth CVT transmission like in the 450h.
And I'm of the wacky mindset that wishes to have this car equiped with the IS-F engine, brakes, suspension and interior, which would then take care of any of the V8 boasting while still maintaing that 20+ mpg status
Old 09-18-08, 11:40 AM
vrferrari
Pole Position

Just interested in the people selling their 450h's.
Can you tell me why you're selling the car's ? It doen't appear that some of you have had your cars for very long. Are you moving into a different car ?

Quick Reply: Thinking of returning - GS450h recommendations?