Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Bought new 400h

Old 01-06-08, 05:49 PM
///M
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought new 400h

So this weekend I bought a new 2008 RX400h which I'm picking up in about two weeks. Finally got rid of the gas guzzling 2004 Land Rover Discovery, Don't get me wrong, my wife and I loved the thing, as did my 4 year old and the yellow lab and golden retreiver. But she was a gas guzzler, rode rough, although was menacing looking with the bar in front etc (it was a trail package edition and we did some LR sponsered off roading with it - I know the 400h is not made for off roading). It was my wife's primary car, mine is an M3.

Got the 400h because my wife got a new job which she will have to travel alot so this was a smart choice. Will be a bit of a squeeze for the dogs, but what can you do right?

So whats the deal with iPod integration and is there anything else I should know/expect when I pick it up?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-07-08, 08:55 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Expect average mileage until about 5000 miles. Then it should get better.
Old 01-09-08, 11:06 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, Congrats on the ride...

I had one for a loaner over the weekend and it was so smooth and quiet. Lovely!
Old 01-18-08, 05:48 AM
Rockville1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!

I've had my '07 400h for one year and love it! I agree with SLegacy on the gas mileage - it will definately improve after 5000 miles.
Old 01-19-08, 05:05 PM
///M
Driver School Candidate

Arrrgh! Still waiting for my 400h to come in. They had to bring it in from SC as it had the same specs I wanted (color, dash and AWD), that same day someone bought it at the SC dealership, so I find out yesterday that mine is on it's way from Japan bound to NY, but my specific one will be diverted here to FL.
Will update when I finally pick it up.
Old 01-20-08, 09:53 AM
davidsong
Lead Lap

i have mine for 2 years now, and my mpg sux...

mayb its bcuz i floored it at every light
Old 02-09-08, 09:34 PM
///M
Driver School Candidate

So I picked up the car 2 weeks ago while having a loaner 2008 RX350 loaner. I must say I am impressed, I got the AWD version, was able to get the dealer to throw in tinted windows, pinstripes, and all weather rubber mats (besides the few thousand off the sticker price). It came with nav, cargo liner, regular carpeted floor mats, cargo net, upgraded stereo, wood trim and heated seats.

I like it much better than the 350, and way more than the LR Discovery that it replaced. It actually handles really well and drives great. It's really my wife's car, but I don't mind driving this compared to the LR. Much more responsive.

The start up really screws me up because I don't know the damn thing is on. Much unlike my M3 that sounds like a beast. But I think it is faster than the 350 and for some reason just think it is better than the 350, not really sure why.

The two dogs are cramped in the back but fit in fine (95 lb Lab and 60 Lb golden retriever, the 4 year old gets a kick out of the nav screen, I refuse to do the DVD player - hell I didn't have one growing up why should she).

It is an impressive auto, I am recommending it too all my friends, although I am intrigued about the hybrid caddy coming out next year.

It really should have come with integrated ipod port and get rid of the stupid casette player - I had a massive amount of casettes years ago but got rid of them when CDs came out.

I also love the automatic rear door and adaptive headlights.

Funny thing was, the day I picked it and while I was at the Lexus dealer, The Land Rover guy called me and asked if it I had gone over to the "dark side" I had to tell him that the LR was way too much of a gas hog. He did tell me that when LR comes out with a hybrid, that I would be the first that he calls. Just thought that was way too funny.

Anyway, cheers to all.
Old 02-11-08, 10:30 AM
tomv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M

So whats the deal with iPod integration and is there anything else I should know/expect when I pick it up?

Thanks guys.
We bought the VAIS SL2i and are very happy with it.
We've never even inserted a cassette or CD into the car.

The iPod is installed in the glove compartment and the cable has enough slack that I can reach the iPod, switch to simple mode (quickly hit SCAN button 8 times) and have direct control of the iPod for searching for specific songs or albums.

One thing we did that really helped with our enjoyment of this was along with creating playlists.. kids music, popular music, etc, was to create a playlist of our entire collection. We use this "All Music" playlist the most and simple play it in random order. Kind of like a 60 gig iPod shuffle
Old 02-11-08, 10:36 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Congrats on the RX & welcome
Old 02-13-08, 05:29 PM
///M
Driver School Candidate

I wish they had used a push button start in this car. It would make way more sense then turning a key and not hearing the engine turn over. They use a start button in almost all their other models.
Old 02-13-08, 05:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the RX 400h!!! What kind of interior trim package did you get?

I've driven the RXh several times, it does take getting used to 'gently' turning the ignition and not hearing anything.
Old 03-16-12, 06:41 AM
Keaberts
Driver School Candidate

so i traded in my 2000 RX300 AWD with 122k for a 2007 RX400h AWD with 74k yesterday... i woke up this morning and still cant believe there is a hybrid Lexus sitting in my driveway...

It was pretty funny when i went to test drive it at the dealership.... it was at a Nissan dealership and the salesman went to start it, no engine turned on so he thought it was dead.... he came back with a jump box, but luckily i figured it out while he was gone.....

I wanted this car for the power, but i cant help but drive like a grandpa behind the wheel to see how long i can stay on battery power only.... but no doubt the power is there when you need it.... i'm still getting used to everything....

how would i know if my vehicle is equipped with the laser cruise control? where is the laser mounted?....

also, the drivers side headlight has built up condensation inside... if i leave it like that it will likely damage the headlight in some way or another... im sure all that moisture isnt good for the adaptive headlamps... any suggestions? should i try to buy one from a junk yard or ebay ($$$) or can i bake the headlamp, take it apart, and then re-seal??

also, how long until i can create my own threads?
Old 03-16-12, 07:55 AM
Weighit
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Keaberts, I have had my 400H now for about 11 months and only recently figured out to increase the tire pressures to gain some better mileage. I have left the mileage reset button alone for the past 4 fill ups and it is averaging 24.9 mpg. I think with the way I'm driving now seeing 25.5 average is possible. That is 75 mph runs on the highways and 35 mph or slower drives in town. My Jeep liberty could never give me more than 18 mpg average so we are pretty happy. I don't know about the light moisture, I do have 2 light units I removed from this car when they got scratched and insurance purchased new ones. They were about $1,100 each without the bulbs.
Old 03-16-12, 10:15 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

do a search on this and the RX350 forum to find the reseal and fix moisture in the headlamps....
here is thread on headlamps....
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...densation.html
Old 03-16-12, 10:59 PM
Keaberts
Driver School Candidate

thanks guys! will be doing that very soon to fix the headlight... also, i have a question about insurance... did anyone else's insurance sky rocket with the purchase of their RX400h? or is it just pronounced because i am still considered a "young driver"... it went up by more than $50 per month :-(

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought new 400h