Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

2008 GX470 or 2008 RX400h?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-07, 09:16 PM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 GX470 or 2008 RX400h?

I currently own 2006 IS 350 and I love driving it! My wife and I are expecting a baby soon and looks like we will need another car with more room than IS in the back. Right now, infant seat that we bought barely fit in the back (the front seat in front of infant seat has to be moved forward a little bit). Also, the stroller we bought didn't fit in the trunk of our IS. So we are planning to buy another car (bigger) probably around next spring/summer. I will be driving the next car and my wife will be driving the IS.

Right now, I've narrowed my choices to Lexus RX400h AWD, Lexus GX470 and Acura MDX. IS is our first Lexus and we've previously owned Acura/Honda (Acura TL, RSX-S, RSX, S2000). We like Lexus' car quality and service over Acura so we like to stick with Lexus car for next car.

So between RX400h and GX470, what do you guys recommend? Right now, I am leaning toward GX because I think it has better AWD system than RX. I don't plan to go off-roading or anything but I want my future car to be able to handle snow on steep incline. Both our house's driveway and street infront are pretty steep. Last year, we had several snow storms in Seattle and we were stuck in our house because we only have our RWD IS350 so I had to ask my friend with his AWD Audi to fish me out of my house to go to grocery shopping. So a car with good AWD system is my top prority. If anyone with AWD RX can comment back on it's ability in the snow, I'd really appreciate it!

With GX, it has more power and good 4WD system so I don't think driving in snow on steep roads will be a problem. Some things I don't like about GX are: 1) rear trunk door swing out instead of up 2) gas mileage 3) no HID and no AFS headlight like RX 4) Seem a little tall and I am afraid it might tip over . $50,000 car with no HID? HID should at least be an option IMO. I like HID because I think it is brigther than non-HID at night.

What car do you guys recommend? RX or GX?
Old 09-23-07, 07:18 AM
nobuddy
Rookie

I was a bit leery about the AWD system in the RX400h (07) until I took it on my first ski trip last year. It was surprisingly good. My winter home is located well down a long steep unplowed driveway and the RX never made a misstep, driving through about 2 feet of snow. I wasn't expecting it, and had a friend on call to "rescue" us, but he was never needed.

I've since taken the RX to the snow 6 or 7 times, and I have nothing but good news to report.

The only problem is that there is no AWD marking anywhere on the vehicle, so I had to convince one Chain Control guy that it was indeed AWD.

nb
Old 09-23-07, 10:49 AM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

Good to know RX400h can handle good in the snow! I really like RX400h features over GX470 but leaning more toward GX because it has a good 4WD system. Now, it changes things. Thanks for your reply with your RX400h experience.
Old 09-23-07, 12:13 PM
unabacia
Driver School Candidate

It's a tough an interesting choice considering both vehicles will undergo major changes in 09. The 400H will grow to be the same length as the GX. (The 08 Highlander has been completely re-done and now stands at 188 inches in length like the GX.)

I believe the gas mileage efficiency of the Hybrid is worth $500 per year (based on 10K miles)

I went with the GX. Remember to consider how much storage space you with need in the rear with your growing family.
Old 09-23-07, 02:28 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RedLine78,

I own both vehicles. They're two totally different animals with both having some really nice attributes. If you want a little more interior width and a little more storage space (as long as you totally remove the GX's third row seat), want a full 4WD system with transfer case (a very nice system in this vehicle), and aren't bothered by the gas mileage, the GX is a good choice. Especially if you like a more hefty, truck-like feel and suspension (in Lexus style!). You'll also pay more for it than the RX400h...

If you want a car-like ride, the ability to get through on-road snow conditions, like cool technology, want a bit more agility in getting in and out of tight spaces, somewhat better handling, a lower price tag, and better gas mileage, go with the 400h...

I've never been bothered by the side-opening tailgate on the GX. As a matter of fact, when I pull it into my garage, I can open the rear door with my garage door still open. With the RX, I have to close the garage door before I can open the tailgate all the way on the RX. Otherwise the RX tailgate hits against the overhead door arm that hangs down (hope you get this).

I love both vehicles for different reasons...

Jim
Old 09-24-07, 03:17 PM
slimpiggy
Driver School Candidate

Bro, me was in the exact same boat as you were one year ago.

I got the first IS350 in Toronto and was outgunning every M3 and Porsches outthere, have done 190km/h on the highway while it was pouring rain, the IS felt very stable at that speed, and the speedometer turned bleeding red (I realize it was a foolish act and will probably repeat it)

Afte spending $3G on a set of snowtires that "best rubbers you can buy in this town" and a set of original rims, I soon realize that while the IS held up the snow pretty good (Toronto is a snowy place), I eventually got stuck in the snow because the IS was 2 inches off the ground, so when there is 3 inches of snow on the road you ain't going nowhere.

At the same time my son was just born, took me two weeks to realize that the IS didn't have an infant carseat and/or stroller in mind when they designed it, after my mother twisted her back while getting out of my car I realize that I needed a bigger Lexus (yes, Lexus only).

as for the 4wd issue, I rented a 2007RAV4 for 2 months in the winter and I found the 4wd system on it was more than adequate, therefore I refuse to believe that the 4wd system will be inferior to the RAV4, as a result, the argument of the GX having a "better 4wd" is irrelevant.

I eventually settled on an RX400h, the rearseat even reclines, been loving it eversince

Originally Posted by RedLine78
I currently own 2006 IS 350 and I love driving it! My wife and I are expecting a baby soon and looks like we will need another car with more room than IS in the back. Right now, infant seat that we bought barely fit in the back (the front seat in front of infant seat has to be moved forward a little bit). Also, the stroller we bought didn't fit in the trunk of our IS. So we are planning to buy another car (bigger) probably around next spring/summer. I will be driving the next car and my wife will be driving the IS.

Right now, I've narrowed my choices to Lexus RX400h AWD, Lexus GX470 and Acura MDX. IS is our first Lexus and we've previously owned Acura/Honda (Acura TL, RSX-S, RSX, S2000). We like Lexus' car quality and service over Acura so we like to stick with Lexus car for next car.

So between RX400h and GX470, what do you guys recommend? Right now, I am leaning toward GX because I think it has better AWD system than RX. I don't plan to go off-roading or anything but I want my future car to be able to handle snow on steep incline. Both our house's driveway and street infront are pretty steep. Last year, we had several snow storms in Seattle and we were stuck in our house because we only have our RWD IS350 so I had to ask my friend with his AWD Audi to fish me out of my house to go to grocery shopping. So a car with good AWD system is my top prority. If anyone with AWD RX can comment back on it's ability in the snow, I'd really appreciate it!

With GX, it has more power and good 4WD system so I don't think driving in snow on steep roads will be a problem. Some things I don't like about GX are: 1) rear trunk door swing out instead of up 2) gas mileage 3) no HID and no AFS headlight like RX 4) Seem a little tall and I am afraid it might tip over . $50,000 car with no HID? HID should at least be an option IMO. I like HID because I think it is brigther than non-HID at night.

Old 09-24-07, 07:17 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

If you can get a RX400h take it you will enjoy it!!! IMO the GX470 is to truck like but that is my opinion. I test drove one with my son and he bought a GS300 AWD and to "nobuddy" Thank You very much as snow was my question but I said my RX300 was great so why not the RX400h my concern is get home from work I will turn around if I deem it to bad to drive in I actually did this half way to work with the RX300 one morning.
Old 09-27-07, 10:31 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

If you are looking for fun, like in your IS, you will find it in the RX. Obviously its much faster than the GX and while it won't compare to the power and speed of an IS, you can still have some fun in it. And the handling aint bad.
Old 09-27-07, 02:44 PM
tjp74
Driver

3) no HID and no AFS headlight like RX 4) Seem a little tall and I am afraid it might tip over . $50,000 car with no HID? HID should at least be an option IMO. I like HID because I think it is brigther than non-HID at night.

No HID??? My father in law 2005 GX470 came standard with HID. Are you sure about that?

I used to like GX but I am not so sure, it's aged pretty well but still aged, it's pretty much at the end of product life cycle. Is new model coming what, next year?

not sure how long you can wait for that but I would wait for the all new model if I were you.
however, if new model isn't coming out next year then you don't have much choice.
Old 09-27-07, 05:27 PM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjp74
No HID??? My father in law 2005 GX470 came standard with HID. Are you sure about that?

I used to like GX but I am not so sure, it's aged pretty well but still aged, it's pretty much at the end of product life cycle. Is new model coming what, next year?

not sure how long you can wait for that but I would wait for the all new model if I were you.
however, if new model isn't coming out next year then you don't have much choice.

No, I am not sure about HID. For RX, HID headlights are listed in the detailed spec page but I don't see HID listed under GX's detailed spec page.

RX400h:
Headlamps Automatic on/off headlamps with 30-second auto-off delay
Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) with High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps with dynamic auto leveling

GX470:
Headlamps Automatic on/off projector-beam headlamps with 30-second delay
Smoked bezel

Since both cars will have new design in 2009, I think I will wait for 2009 model.
Old 09-28-07, 09:37 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

They don't have HID on the current GX's... They told me the height of the vehicle's headlights off the ground made it difficult to put the HID's in without blinding oncoming traffic. I don't think the LX had them up to this point either. The redesigned LX probably does but I haven't checked it out yet. I put an aftermarket HID kit in my GX470 (H11 bulbs). I bought it from Xenondepot. Worked very well and was a big improvement over the stock halogens.
Old 09-28-07, 10:51 PM
RedLine78
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JimsGX
They don't have HID on the current GX's... They told me the height of the vehicle's headlights off the ground made it difficult to put the HID's in without blinding oncoming traffic. I don't think the LX had them up to this point either. The redesigned LX probably does but I haven't checked it out yet. I put an aftermarket HID kit in my GX470 (H11 bulbs). I bought it from Xenondepot. Worked very well and was a big improvement over the stock halogens.

Xenondepot HID kit pretty easy to install on GX?
Old 09-28-07, 11:01 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having driven both extensively, I really feel as if there is no comparison. The GX is head and shoulders above the RX in almost all areas and if you have the extra money for the GX I think it is COMPLETELY worth it.
Old 09-29-07, 05:31 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Xenondepot HID kit pretty easy to install on GX?
Very easy to install. I took my time with it to make it look like OEM and did it in maybe 2-3 hours. You could do it in less if you aren't too picky. I put sheathing around the new wiring harness and mounted the ballasts and relays such that you couldn't see them. You have to remove the battery and follow the electric window and sunroof reset procedures once you're complete.

Jim
Old 10-07-07, 07:55 AM
dc67soul
Driver School Candidate

We have both GX470 and the RX400H. I purchased the hybrid when it first came out in the summer of 2005. A year later, when we decided to add little ones to the family, we picked up the GX for more seating room. Overall, we like the features and most aspects of the RX better: acceleration, auto tailgate, handling, HID, headlight washer, etc... However, the GX's additional seating room is certainly irreplaceable by the RX. Although both do well in the snow, the GX will perform better for extensive off-raod activities due to its higher ground clearance and a true 4-wheel drive as opposed to AWD of the RX. The downfall of both GX and RX compares to your IS is the performance and FUN, which is why we recently added a SC 430 to our fleet.

Quick Reply: 2008 GX470 or 2008 RX400h?