Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Rate your Mpg's
30+
5.92%
27-29
27.81%
24-26
40.83%
20-23
23.67%
Under 20
5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of mpg are you guys getting?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-07, 02:12 PM
LexusLs400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of mpg are you guys getting?

Whats kinda real world mpgs are you guys getting?
Old 05-19-07, 09:32 PM
silvervett
Lead Lap

I haven't been paying too much attention because my car only has a little over 5,000 miles on it. I made a long trip to TX and back to NY but the car had well over 1,000 pounds in it so that would give me a low reading. The last time I looked at the MPG computer it had about 26 mpg. I just disconnected the DRL and I am sure it will probably add about 1/4 to 1/2 mpg. I am going to wait till I get at least 1,000 more miles on the car and use every mileage technique I know and see exactly how many miles I can stretch out. I will also do an exact calculation measuring mow many gallons I pump into the tank between fill ups. I bet if I keep the speed down I can get 28 to 30 mpg. I wonder what speed will give you maximum mpg?
Old 05-20-07, 08:01 AM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusLs400
Whats kinda real world mpgs are you guys getting?
Around 26.5 to 27mpg overall for 5000 miles of driving. That's by manually calculating, not going by the vehicles reported average displayed, which many have reported here to show higher average mpg by 1mpg or more in many instances. I run 93 octane.
Old 05-21-07, 12:40 AM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

I see some improvement after I switch to 0w-20 oil by Nenos.
It jumps from 25+ to 27+ now.
I am 3 exits plus 3 miles local away from job, so 25+ was usually the number I got before switching to Eneos.
Old 05-23-07, 05:58 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adapting to the Hybrid Way of Driving, and coasting as much as possible is where the real benefits are.

I extremely doubt that there is a "magic" grade of oil that will increase fuel mileage as much as was posted here. Or, by modifying DRL's will increase by any noticeable difference fuel mileage.

If someone was to unload 500lbs or more, for example from the curb weight of the vehicle would one be able to quantify and be able to achieve real world results. I.e. remove all the interior seats, less for the drivers seat, spare tire, tools, interior door panels, interior carpeting, sound system etc...

The magic speed for me is about 45-50mph, usually on partially congested freeway traffic can you get away with driving at that speed. I find the hybrid regularly switches the ice off and either runs in series with coasting and battery power. Boy, the mileage really shines. The batteries are usually charged and mainted to at least 75% capacity and there is plenty of battery reserve to achieve ice off once entering city mode.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 05-24-07, 05:55 PM
TwoHybrids
Driver School Candidate

Default overall average of 25 mpg

My household owns two cars, a 2004 Toyota Prius and a 2007 AWD RXh, and I find that the RX is much more consistent on its MPG than our Prius.

I can get 50+ MPG on our Prius under certain conditions. Once did a 40-mile roundtrip Los Angeles-area trip with just me, AC off, and the car empty and returned 55 MPG! But if the Prius is full of people and/or stuff and I'm accelerating hard and the AC's on, fuel economy can easily slip below 35 MPG.

With our RXh, I'm finding its fuel economy to be much more consistent. When loaded up and accelerating hard, it can fall to 18 or so. When lightly loaded, AC off, windows up, and driving gently, she'll give me 30. But by and large, she sits at 23-27 MPG.

Given my driving style and habits, I'm overall averaging about 25 MPG.

Does anyone else share this desire: Golly gee would it have been good if Lexus included an "economy" or "fuel savings" mode! The car has so much power -- you owners who've stomped your right foot when the road is clear ahead of you, you know what I'm talkin' about! -- that it's really a shame not to have the driver option to lessen the power to gain economy. There are certainly trips and drives when you want the full power that the RXh has on tap (wonderful...), but there are also trips and drives when I could do with 1/3rd less power in exchange for greater fuel efficiency.

How about a button that allows me to cut HP and/or drive further on the batts, in order to increase the fuel efficiency? Given the amount of power on tap in the car, such a setting option makes a lot of sense.

Power on!
TwoHybrids
Old 05-24-07, 07:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah cause the Prius has "just enough" or adequate power so mpg goes down when loaded. The RXh has plenty of power so it doesn't feel as strained when it's loaded down. Plus, you have a more powerful battery and electric motor.
Old 06-04-07, 10:53 AM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm grateful for this thread. I just bought a 350 but have had a 400h loaner for five days. Coincidentally, my wife has had one for six days. I'm sitting right around 25.5mpg, and she's @ 24.6.

Speaking selfishly, I wondered if I would regret not going the hybrid route. Overall, I have no regrets. The noises the hybrid makes, while not really ugly, are somewhat intrusive. I've only had my 350 a short time, but with the same driving habits I'm seeing 22.1mpg. At that rate it would take me a long time to recoup the initial investment of the 400h in gas savings.

I am a bit curious as to the EPA ratings. I've got a light foot - and an even lighter foot since I'm trying to extract as much economy as possible out of the hybrid. My loaner is FWD, with 33/28 EPA ratings. I do fairly close to a 50/50 city/highway mix, and am somewhat disappointed to only see numbers in the 25's.
Old 06-04-07, 10:59 AM
MadloR
Driver

Originally Posted by VroomVroom
I'm grateful for this thread. I just bought a 350 but have had a 400h loaner for five days. Coincidentally, my wife has had one for six days. I'm sitting right around 25.5mpg, and she's @ 24.6.

Speaking selfishly, I wondered if I would regret not going the hybrid route. Overall, I have no regrets. The noises the hybrid makes, while not really ugly, are somewhat intrusive. I've only had my 350 a short time, but with the same driving habits I'm seeing 22.1mpg. At that rate it would take me a long time to recoup the initial investment of the 400h in gas savings.

I am a bit curious as to the EPA ratings. I've got a light foot - and an even lighter foot since I'm trying to extract as much economy as possible out of the hybrid. My loaner is FWD, with 33/28 EPA ratings. I do fairly close to a 50/50 city/highway mix, and am somewhat disappointed to only see numbers in the 25's.
Your missing out on the other benefits why we drive 400h's. Yes it does get BETTER mileage, but it was never designed to be a prius mileage beater. It does however beat out 99% of SUV's out there.

It is environmentally friendlier. I love knowing that while coasting, idling, and or sitting in traffic my engine is not polluting.

As well, the RX400H is unique... there just are not that many out there wrt to all the SUV's and RX350/330 on the road.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 06-05-07, 04:18 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MadloR
Your missing out on the other benefits why we drive 400h's. Yes it does get BETTER mileage, but it was never designed to be a prius mileage beater.
Oh and don't forget ITS FASTER THAN THE RX350. Now thats what I like.

Ill speak for my mom. She gets 28-30 city driving. And 25ish highway. Mileage has been improving since we just got out of the break in period.
Old 06-06-07, 05:29 AM
Rockville1
Rookie

I've been averaging 29.5 MPG overall. On long highway trips, I average 27.5. If I drive primarily around town, I get about 32.

I've had the car for 6 months now, have 5200 miles and I have definately seen a huge improvement over the break-in period, but this likely also reflects the warmer weather and summer-mix gasoline.

Also, what grade of gasoline are you all using? I have tried using 87, 89, and 93. I have found no noticable difference between 89 and 93 octane, but I see a very marked drop off in economy with the 87. Thus, I now routinely fill up with 89.
Old 06-06-07, 10:30 AM
MadloR
Driver

Default super unleaded

90% of my refueling I use Super Unleaded. In my area, gas stations offer midgrade fuel pricing for super unleaded fillups on Thursdays.

Hence, I try to refuel on Thursday and for those weeks when I have more than 50% fuel left (from last thursdays fillup) I wait to next Thursdays fillup. If not, I will use mid grade to refuel.

If I know I am taking a long trip, then I will refuel with midgrade (90% highway).

I have found no noticeable difference in fuel economy except if using regular unleaded fuel.

The past few weeks, I have easily averaged over 29mpg, even pulled off one tank at 32mpg.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 06-11-07, 02:51 PM
tonyhui
Driver School Candidate

On a recent 1100 miles road trip around Washington State, including driving up to 5200 ft. Hurricane Ridge in Olympic N.P. twice (lots of deers up there at this time), I averaged 28 MPG. Milage tend to drop when going over 65 MPG and I only get about 24 when going 85. On the highway, optimal efficiency is around 55 to 60 which will get you around 29 MPG.
Old 06-11-07, 06:54 PM
ambler
Driver School Candidate

We're averaging around 25 MPG around town after two months. MPG goes way up whenever we switch over to cruise control - I guess we all suffer from lead foot when driving ourselve, but once control is handed over to the computer the speed with which it switched back and forth is amazing to watch - as a passenger, of course...
Tony
Old 06-16-07, 08:58 AM
tdt5648
Driver School Candidate

Our RXh has over 25,000 mi, and this has been my experience thus far. Mileage varies from season to season with cooler season prevailing (spring and fall). If it's too cold or too hot, then we lose up to 2 mpg. Also, mileage improves with super unleaded, but if any gasoline grade has any ethanol blend in it, then mileage will drop. Furthermore, our FWD RXh gets better mileage than my two sisters' AWD RXh's. Bottom line for mixed driving around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area: avg 27mpg, best 28.3mpg.

Quick Reply: What kind of mpg are you guys getting?