Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Rate your Mpg's
30+
5.92%
27-29
27.81%
24-26
40.83%
20-23
23.67%
Under 20
5.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

What kind of mpg are you guys getting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 12:20 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While driving down a completely flat stretch of road yesterday I noticed something. I set the cruise to 57 mph. The ICE shut off and the electric motors gave it the power it needed to maintain speed. Then it would coast and charge and then accelerate as needed. Very cool. 35 mpg it said I was getting during that time.
Old 06-25-07, 12:26 PM
slimpiggy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jblackbelt
thats really interesting. i wonder why mine is getting so low mileage then.
I did have an episode like that for two days, my normal routine is to go 35km to downtown toronto for work then return in bumper to bumper traffic, one day I didn't go downtown and only drove 20km to another location, the two days following that routine-breaking trip I noticed the 400h was operating on the ICE almost exclusively, in the meantime the battery is completely full, it just doesn't kick in, my mpg went from 8.1L to 10L. two days later I happened to go in for my first schedule inspection and when I pick it up the car is normal again, so I will keep an eye on it
Old 06-25-07, 12:40 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Ive noticed that the first 5 minutes of driving mileage isnt optimal. 22-23 mpg. But the systems are all warmed up, battery charged mileage increases significantly to 28-40 mpg range.
Old 06-25-07, 01:23 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

thats really weird... do you guys think that something may be wrong with my car?
Old 06-25-07, 01:45 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

thats really weird... do you guys think that something may be wrong with my car?
No, but I dont think it would hurt to consult the dealer, inform that youre not getting optimal mileage, but you know that there are people out there who are getting better than you. Don't be hostile about it cause I know that around here (Philadelphia region) people become less helpful when consumers complain.

How many miles are on it now? What are you inflating the tires at?
Old 06-25-07, 02:57 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

a little over 1100. the tires are whatever the dealer set them at whenever i picked it up.

my family has known the dealer for years so if i go in i definately wont be hostel, but i may go in and check
Old 06-25-07, 05:16 PM
slimpiggy
Driver School Candidate

a little over 1100. the tires are whatever the dealer set them at whenever i picked it up.

my family has known the dealer for years so if i go in i definately wont be hostel, but i may go in and check
I say you are wise to talk to the dealer for sure, 20 mpg isn't normal, maybe the rich-mixture of the ICE needs adjustment, hey who would believe that my Japanese-made premium SUV needs an alignment at 2000mi?

the other thing is that make sure you insist that driving habit should not make the mpg this bad, I probably have the most gas-consumping habit of everyone (lots of stop and go and moving office equipment for my small business)

are you using american mpg? or Imperial mpg, I am in Toronto, so it's a metric system here
Old 06-25-07, 07:02 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Doesn't hurt to ask. My bet is that they will tell you to wait until youre through the break in period before becoming concerned. My mom was poed there for awhile that she was only getting 24 mpg. After 4,000 miles or so she went up to 27ish. Then I drove it, had alotta fun and brought it down to 25 mpg. Looked at the car today and she already has it back up to 25.8 mpg. Fancy that.
Old 06-25-07, 07:49 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

i am using american mpg...i may go to the dealership tomorrow if i have some time.
Old 06-26-07, 04:05 AM
MadloR
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default american mpg and...

So far, this past week I have been averaging (since Saturday fillup) 33mpg.

The high humidity and constant heat (day and night temperatures very steady) have helped as well. Also, I am averaging on the highway at 55mph (I drive in early bird morning traffic) and about 30 - 35 mph in the city (I take a deviated route back home at night to avoid congestion).

I am BEYOND estatic.

Cheers,

MadloR
Old 06-26-07, 06:55 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

so an update. i went to the dealer today. they told me they wouldnt find anything but i said i wanted it checked anyway so i made an appointment for monday.
Old 06-27-07, 08:19 PM
jerryray
Pit Crew

so an update. i went to the dealer today. they told me they wouldnt find anything but i said i wanted it checked anyway so i made an appointment for monday.
I have my 400 2 yrs this August, last year I was avg 24.5.
This year about 22. mostly City driving NYC.

Seems to be falling off. My dealer will check on Friday.
My tires are at 35 psi.
Old 06-27-07, 08:23 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Yeah they probably won't. You gotta make it through that break in period.
Old 06-27-07, 10:23 PM
clickart
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jblackbelt,

If I were you, I would take your car and go test drive it on the highway. Before you get to the highway, reset the mileage. You should average out around 21-24 mpg. Drive it for 20 minutes at 70-75mph. If you still get 20 mpg after 20 minutes of driving it on the highway than I THINK there is something wrong. When I first got my 07 400h, I drove it on the highway for an hour to get home and I averaged out at 23 mpg going at 75mph with AC on. I got 1.5k miles on my car and I averaged out at 24.7 in the city. On the highway, I averaged out around 25.

You can also test drive another 400h at your dealer. Just reset the mileage and take it for a short trip. When you come back, take your car and take another exact trip with the same style of driving. You should get around the same mpg as the dealer car.

Last edited by clickart; 06-27-07 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-27-07, 10:51 PM
jblackbelt
Rookie

ill have to give it a try....i will wait till after the dealer checks it out though cause if i take it in adn the mileage is all of a sudden at 25 it will be weird.

Quick Reply: What kind of mpg are you guys getting?