Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Winter Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-07, 11:21 PM
ler0y
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Mileage

I've been somewhat upset lately with the mileage I'm getting. I'm up here in Toronto, and the temperatures have been averaging around 0 C. I notice that when its colder my mileage decreases dramatically. My best mileage was in the fall when I first bought my vehicle and I was averaging around 7.2 L/100 km, or about 32.67 mpg... nowadays I'm at 12.5 L/100 km or 18.82 mpg, which is really pissing me off. Have any of you guys noticed the same thing? I'm attempting the best I can to utilize the battery rather than the ICE, but when I'm accelerating, I see it jumping way up to around 25 L/100 km to as high as 66 L/100 km, this averages out to a lot of fuel consumption. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my vehicle. I inflated the tires to 32 psi, so thats ok. I can't figure out what is wrong.
Old 01-13-07, 11:29 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ler0y
I've been somewhat upset lately with the mileage I'm getting. I'm up here in Toronto, and the temperatures have been averaging around 0 C. I notice that when its colder my mileage decreases dramatically. My best mileage was in the fall when I first bought my vehicle and I was averaging around 7.2 L/100 km, or about 32.67 mpg... nowadays I'm at 12.5 L/100 km or 18.82 mpg, which is really pissing me off. Have any of you guys noticed the same thing? I'm attempting the best I can to utilize the battery rather than the ICE, but when I'm accelerating, I see it jumping way up to around 25 L/100 km to as high as 66 L/100 km, this averages out to a lot of fuel consumption. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my vehicle. I inflated the tires to 32 psi, so thats ok. I can't figure out what is wrong.
Your best and worst mileage are kind of extreme. I got around 27 during summer, and about 25 during winter. Depends on how long your commute is, I guess it's possible for your car to have poor mileage like that during winter if the distance you drive is short. During winter the engine will come on more often and will come on instantly because you need the engine's heat to warm up the cabin. If your drive includes a lot of traffic and city driving (I assume so since you said you are in Toronto), then I think that's normal.
Old 01-14-07, 10:08 AM
604Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I live in vancouver and I notice my winter mileage is about 2L/100 km more than summer. I was averaging 7.7L/100 up till sept. Right now I am at around 9.4 and it's only getting worse cause winter is far from over. Do you use heated air and how is your driving style?
Old 01-14-07, 10:51 AM
ler0y
Driver

Yes, I use heated air, I have it set at about 21 or 22 C. I'm varying my driving style to try and minimize fuel consumption. Lately I've tried greater accelerations for shorter distances to get up to the speed limit and then just coast. Maybe I should stick with lesser accelerations over longer distances, but if I accelerate too slowly, there would be tons of pissed off people behind me. Most of my trips are under 10 km at a time, so there is plenty of stop and go which I thought would be good for mileage.
Old 01-14-07, 01:20 PM
604Lexus
Driver School Candidate

I think if you set temp around 23 degree c or above the engine stays on even at a complete stop. I don't think your mileage should differ so much if you still drive the same way as you did in summer. Just for reference last year i was 8.2L for summer and 9.8L for winter this year is 7.7L and 9.4L so far. My driving is 95% city about 10 km each way to work. I never seem my avg mileage go above 10l in my one and half year of ownership (25,000km). The rx350 loaner they gave me this week is averaging 16.8L with 7000 clicks. Is your weather extreme cold? I remember reading online about the battery pack not working as well as usual in below zero weather? If you are concern enough bring it back to dealer and have them take a look at it.
Old 01-14-07, 03:22 PM
JZA80MHU38
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ler0y
Most of my trips are under 10 km at a time, so there is plenty of stop and go which I thought would be good for mileage.
Probably your car has just warmed to the normal operating temperature by the time you arrived at your destination. And avoid accelerating hard if the temp gauge hasn't reach to the low mark if you are trying to keep your car for a long time.
Old 01-14-07, 03:27 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

With the outside temperature down around 32F (0c) gas milage will drop off. What is happening is the gas engine must run longer. On my 2004 Prius we had temps here around 20F (-6C) with wind for about a week I dropped about 18 to 20% in gas milage. Net result is it takes way longer to warm up the engine. On the Prius you have to get an engine temp. up to 137F (58C) before I run in full electric mode. I monitor the gas engine with a Scangauge. Available from http://www.scangauge.com One other item make sure your tires are inflated to what the factory reccomends. That costs me about 10% in gas milage. My son had an RX400h as a loaner I want to get one someday I averaged 27.5 MPG.
Old 01-14-07, 03:52 PM
ler0y
Driver

Thanks for the info on that. I was unaware of the engine temperature limitation. I hope I haven't damaged my engine, I've only accelerated hard a few times. I might still be breaking my engine as I'm only at a few thousand kilometres on the odometer now.
Old 01-14-07, 05:13 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Don't worry you did nothing my son had a loaner RX400h that I drove because he was under 21 and we both floored it several times she's got more power than I need but nice to know it's available. It did no harm at all. Enjoy the RX I would like to get one next. I sold the 2000 RX300 to my son he sold it to my boss at work for a GS300 AWD and I got a 1997 LS400 preowned then the Prius I do a lot of driving.
Old 01-18-07, 03:06 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default mpg in winter

heating the cabin in winter takes a large amount of battery power, during milder days i run with the cabin heat and fans totally off, and just use the heated seat. remember the catalytic converter must also be lit at a temp of about 800F to keep emissions low, that and the cold weather penalty on the battery make 18 to 20 mpg at 32 F in winter normal for me in seattle. this vehicle was definately built for warmer climates mpg wise. longer trips will help the mpg even in cold weather, but anything below 50F hurts me 3 to 5 mpg on average.
Old 01-24-07, 03:21 PM
tdt5648
Driver School Candidate

I live in Texas where it's been unusually cold for us recently with temps around mid 20s to mid 30s F, and I have noticed a drop in mileage. Summer 27mpg mixed driving, winter 25mpg. I noticed that the enigine kicks in more readily in the colder weather. How did you get 32mpg???
Old 01-24-07, 08:02 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seattle weather is generally milder than some other parts of the country. As the temps here have been in the 20s I also saw my mileage plummet to 21. I decided to give premium another try as the price of gas is lower. I'll stay with the premium for a few tanks and see if there is a major improvement. However the weather forecast is for a high of 19 degrees on Friday.
Old 01-24-07, 08:29 PM
ler0y
Driver

Well, I got 32 mpg when it was still warm out, and no need for air conditioning. I drove like I do now, slow accelerations and decelerations. Now that its a couple of degrees below freezing, I'm getting 19.6 mpg. I tried starting the engine and waiting for it to warm up before driving, and turning the heating down. My trips are all relatively short so thats what is probably doing it. I got pissed off and drove 50 km on highways and sure enough my mileage increased a few mpg. I really can't wait until it gets warm again.
Old 01-27-07, 05:34 PM
ler0y
Driver

Ok, I've decided to stop worrying about the fuel efficiency. As long as its more efficient than a comparable non-hybrid vehicle I'm happy. If it consumes MORE fuel than a non-hybrid, then I'd be pissed :P
Old 01-27-07, 05:53 PM
jobber99
Rookie

26.7 mpg since nov 24th. it IS so cal though, so you know, 65 degree winters

Quick Reply: Winter Mileage