Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-06, 08:40 PM
lexlie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Power Steering Failure

I have been a Lexus owner for all of about 3 months. Two weeks ago I was driving home in my RX400H. I was exiting the highway when the steering seemed to become difficult. I thought I was in the processes of getting a flat tire. I stopped at the light at the end of the exit ramp. When I light changed (2-3 seconds later) I proceeded to turn left and the steering was completely gone! I bumped the right front tire on the bridge curb. I got to the other end of the bridge and parked. Lexus towed the car to the dealership and 12 days later told me according to THEIR computer the power steering failed because I hit the curb!!!!!!!! People I hit the curb BECAUSE the POWER STEERING FAILED. I refuse to get back in that car because if Lexus denies there is a problem with the power steering, then they will not be fixing it and this could happen again - this time I might not be so lucky as to have been on an exit ramp.
Old 10-07-06, 05:14 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Anything mechanical can fail, and the risk is no worse than any PS unit--on any traditional hydraulic unit if the belt breaks or you have a catastrophic fluid loss, you need to apply more force to steer. Electric pumps are the same. If you had an actual structural failure, then someone hit something at some point since manufacture.

Last edited by jim256; 10-07-06 at 05:56 AM.
Old 10-07-06, 12:56 PM
katzjamr
Driver

Default your steering

First of all im sorry you had this problem, the hybrids have been very reliable and in 3 400h forums i read power steering problems are rare. I am glad you got off the freeway at least. I question your dealer more than the reliablility of the car, 12 days get this fixed? Your power steering is electric and some electric components will fail prematurely. I would document your failure and your treatment by the dealer and send a letter to lexus corporate.
Old 10-08-06, 12:05 PM
lexlie
Driver School Candidate

It is Lexus Corporate Legal / Product Liability who is causing the delays! Trying to prove the car didn't fail, I did. I don't want to get into the car again if they won't take responsibility for this product failure! It's criminal
Old 10-11-06, 02:15 PM
DaveF
Driver School Candidate

W/O the power steering turing will be tough but not impossible. I have had a few pumps fail in the 20+ years I have been driving. It happens. Call Lexus corporate and deal with them instead of your dealer.

-DAve
Old 10-14-06, 10:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If your dealer is stiff-arming you on this issue, the best remedy is to call Lexus Customer Service, and tell them about your problem. They are anxious to make you happy with your purchase, and clearly your dealer has no interest in helping you. You have obviously done this.

Because this is a safety issue, I would give them a time - say 48 to 72 hours to resolve this issue, then contact your attorney and hand him the ball. Hopefully, you have a good rabid one on your speeddial. If they are
  1. Refusing to repair your car under warranty.

2. Refusing to make restitution to you for your loss of the use of the vehicle (loaner).

3. Refusing to either return your money or replace the car directly.

4. Refusing to even communicate with you about this issue.
you would seem to have a case.

This treatment - especially of a new customer - is incredible, but until it is brought to the attention of someone in the MARKETING/SALES department, don't expect much to be done. Lawyers can stretch this out forever, you need to get their attention by pinching their wallet!
Old 10-16-06, 04:45 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I noticed this thread and it is the first...

instance of any problem with the EPS. What failed exactly? Did they replace the motor? The 12 days could have been a parts delay as this car is made in Japan and dealers don't stock this item due to its reliability. Did you get a loaner car? The car is obviously under warranty and the dealer did fix it so I don't see a case for any denial of service. Please update us further.

Rock
Old 07-14-08, 02:25 AM
shiggs
Driver School Candidate

Default steering failure is350

I had a very similar experience with a near new is 350 and am told that a number of these cars recently imported to new Zealand have had the same failure. Apparently the motors that power the electric assistance have seized.

Has anyone else had this problem with is350?

Other than this I love the car !
Old 04-27-09, 10:34 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

wanted to revive this thread. just had the 9lc steering upgrade / campaign completed on our rx400h. about 500 miles later, this same thing happend to me. my steering became difficult during a left turn, the P/S light turned on for about 5 seconds, and i almost swerved right, directly into a car in the lane next to me. the car is at the dealership now, but they said they have found nothing. anyone else have this issue?
Old 04-28-09, 04:47 PM
awgneo
Driver School Candidate

Nope. I had the 9LC done too. 6k miles later, power steering is running fine.
Old 04-28-09, 10:29 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

Just to let you guys know lexus sent out letters about the recall for this issue go get it done for free! It's much safer to do so!
Old 04-29-09, 08:13 PM
GQD_GS4
Lexus Test Driver

it sucks cuz these problems started happening AFTER i had the recall service done
Old 04-30-09, 11:11 AM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

What? I hope they resolved that issue fast, because this is no joke. That really sucks, I hope everything turns out fine.
Old 07-25-12, 11:47 PM
Autolinks
Driver School Candidate

Default Steering failure

Hi,
Lexie/GQD_GS4

Can you please let me know how this situation was resolved with Lexus given that there was damaged to your vehicle?
Sorry to pull up an old thread...

Thank you
Old 02-07-14, 07:01 AM
Nguyeh6
Driver School Candidate

I would love an update on this if anyone has any. I've had the same situation but have brought my car in about a dozen times and it's not getting fixed. Dealership replaced the ECU twice and P/S and steering fail is still happening. They also told me that since the car is built a certain way, if I go over a curb it will send an error to the ECU assembly

Quick Reply: Power Steering Failure