Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

XM or Sirius Dealer Installed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-06, 03:30 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default XM or Sirius Dealer Installed?

We've had our 2006 RX400h for six months now and the wife would like satellite radio. Searching here and reviewing the Lexus web site, it seems that Lexus dealers can install either XM or Sirius upgrades that fully integrate with the car's radio display (we have Mark Levinson option).

Any information from the experts here on prices and your experience with dealer installed satellie radio options -- either XM or Sirius -- are much appreciated.

Jim
Old 05-28-06, 08:42 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

have sirus installed on my rx400h...seems okay but sat radio does cut off in tunnels, overpasses, dense trees, and maybe clouds. the quality isn't as good as regular radio imo but still it is commercial free and more variety. hope this helps...
Old 05-28-06, 11:51 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
have sirus installed on my rx400h...seems okay but sat radio does cut off in tunnels, overpasses, dense trees, and maybe clouds. the quality isn't as good as regular radio imo but still it is commercial free and more variety. hope this helps...
Thanks CrazyMPG .... was your Sirius dealer installed? How much did they charge? My dealer's telling me that they don't offer anything for the 2006 RX400h, only the 2007. Says I should go aftermarket.
Old 05-29-06, 11:39 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

i got mine installed for free at Longo Lexus here in CA.. (came with the car)

the quality isn't as good as I expected... i never use it..
and they put a BIG FAT UGLY BLACK antenna in the front windshield..
Old 05-29-06, 09:23 PM
oneeyejack
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyMPG
unfortunately it's going to cut off in the above mentioned places because it needs to see the satellite it order for it to get a signal. it's not a frequency that you can pick up from a radio station.
Old 05-30-06, 10:35 AM
jwa
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have XM in my GS and I have Sirius in my RRS. Of the 2, I prefer XM based on both content and reception - It's been my experience that Sirius has a lot more signal drops than XM. Content is a personal preference, so check the websites for each to decide which types of programming you are most interested in.

My XM was installed by the dealer last March for $625, but I've read post from otherClub Lexus members paying as much as $800. Cost obviously varies by dealer, so you need to ask up front and call all your local dealerships.
Old 05-30-06, 06:45 PM
400H
Driver School Candidate

Our dealer said they could not install it in our 400H, simply because the radio is not satellite ready. Went to a stereo shop where a friend works, and he can set one up via the FM modulator or wire something in, but it will not be controleld by the display screen or radio controls, still needs the Sirius module thingie to change channels, display the song, station etc.

Costs for that can range from $150 to several hundred, depending on your preference.

I have a sirius radio in my 68 Torino, have great reception and only loose signal in the garage or under really big over passes that or not real tall.

if you loose signal easy, they make a tail you can add onto the antenna to get better reception, and the small newer style antennas are only like 50 bucks.
Old 06-02-06, 09:04 AM
pinhead875
Driver School Candidate

Any satellite radio will cut out in tunnels and such. Now whether you get XM or Sirius depends on your preference. Personally, I love Sirius. The programming is great.

As far as quality over regular FM stations, for me it is a million times better. But that's because my tuner is connected directly into my radio. If you use an FM modulator, tape adapter, or wireless connection, they it won't sound any better than radio. With my direct connection, it sounds almost as good as cd's. Most people will think it does sound as good as a cd, but I can tell the difference (I love music).

The dealers are correct in saying they don't offer anything specifically for the RXh, but there is a unit that they do sell that works. The kit for the ES330 works perfectly with my RXh. I've been quoted by dealers for these 2 parts (part numbers PTS31-00052 & PTS31-33051) anywhere from $300 to $495. Install would be a couple of hours (labor rates vary from dealer to dealer). Now, if you have the RSES option, installing this Sirius unit makes it so that playing a DVD will not produce any sound from the movie over the car's speakers. This means while you are using the RSES, you have to use the wireless headphones if you want to hear sound. I do have the RSES and was willing to make that trade-off.

With the kit comes the tuner, antenna, and necessary wires to connect the tuner to the back of your radio. As posted above, the antenna provided is huge and ugly. I went to Best Buy and bought a new Sirius antenna for $40. The new one is very very small and slim (less than 1/2" tall). The antenna does not have to go on the windshield; the wire is long enough to run it to the back of the car, or to the roof, or to your dashboard.

So in conclusion, the RXh IS DEFINITELY SATELLITE CAPABLE. Sure our cars aren't satellite READY, but that just means we have to install the antenna and cable to the back of the radio, and of course the tuner (other cars that ARE Sirius ready still have to buy the tuner).

Sure you can save money by using an FM modulator, but you lose sound quality. I'd think that if you can afford a $50k car, you can pay the money to go the route of direct connect (whether you buy the parts and install it yourself [easy install], or have the dealer install it for a fee).

I hope all of this helps!
Old 06-15-06, 05:54 PM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pinhead875
Any satellite radio will cut out in tunnels and such. Now whether you get XM or Sirius depends on your preference. Personally, I love Sirius. The programming is great.

As far as quality over regular FM stations, for me it is a million times better. But that's because my tuner is connected directly into my radio. If you use an FM modulator, tape adapter, or wireless connection, they it won't sound any better than radio. With my direct connection, it sounds almost as good as cd's. Most people will think it does sound as good as a cd, but I can tell the difference (I love music).

The dealers are correct in saying they don't offer anything specifically for the RXh, but there is a unit that they do sell that works. The kit for the ES330 works perfectly with my RXh. I've been quoted by dealers for these 2 parts (part numbers PTS31-00052 & PTS31-33051) anywhere from $300 to $495. Install would be a couple of hours (labor rates vary from dealer to dealer). Now, if you have the RSES option, installing this Sirius unit makes it so that playing a DVD will not produce any sound from the movie over the car's speakers. This means while you are using the RSES, you have to use the wireless headphones if you want to hear sound. I do have the RSES and was willing to make that trade-off.

With the kit comes the tuner, antenna, and necessary wires to connect the tuner to the back of your radio. As posted above, the antenna provided is huge and ugly. I went to Best Buy and bought a new Sirius antenna for $40. The new one is very very small and slim (less than 1/2" tall). The antenna does not have to go on the windshield; the wire is long enough to run it to the back of the car, or to the roof, or to your dashboard.

So in conclusion, the RXh IS DEFINITELY SATELLITE CAPABLE. Sure our cars aren't satellite READY, but that just means we have to install the antenna and cable to the back of the radio, and of course the tuner (other cars that ARE Sirius ready still have to buy the tuner).

Sure you can save money by using an FM modulator, but you lose sound quality. I'd think that if you can afford a $50k car, you can pay the money to go the route of direct connect (whether you buy the parts and install it yourself [easy install], or have the dealer install it for a fee).

I hope all of this helps!
I purchased the ES Kit for Sirius Satellite. I've had XM and it cut out way too much. Put in Sirius and haven't looked back for two years now. I guess it's because the XM Satellites orbit near South America so it's no wonder up in the north on many roads the signal just cuts whereas Sirius maintains a satellite (of the three) in moving orbit one is at least over Central North America.

Pin,

Do you have pics of removing your radio and connecting?
Old 06-16-06, 03:02 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess I'll be winging it. I'll take pictures and document here in a thread.
Old 06-16-06, 07:19 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

here is previous link to Siruus install, with pic's-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...72#post1697772
Old 06-16-06, 07:24 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

By the way you do not have to remove the gearshift ****.
I have removed the radio twice to install the vais i-pod interface and to cut the blue wire for bluetooth dialing while driving.
Watch those screws holding radio in, i lost 2 of them into the bowls of the car on removal.....
Old 06-16-06, 07:25 AM
pinhead875
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larrytrk
here is previous link to Siruus install, with pic's-
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...72#post1697772
You beat me by a couple of minutes
I was so anxious to install it myself that I didn't take any pictures. But looking back on it, it wouldn't be too hard to do it again and take pics.
Old 06-16-06, 07:26 AM
CVsIS250
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

XM all the way!!!
CV
Old 06-16-06, 07:27 AM
pinhead875
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by larrytrk
By the way you do not have to remove the gearshift ****.
I have removed the radio twice to install the vais i-pod interface and to cut the blue wire for bluetooth dialing while driving.
Watch those screws holding radio in, i lost 2 of them into the bowls of the car on removal.....
On that note about the screws, they can be easy to lose (whether taking them out, or putting them in). What I did was stuff a plastic bag in the little area under the screw. That way if it fell, it would fall on the bag and not be lost forever. I just picked a plastic bag because it was easy to stuff into the little space.

Quick Reply: XM or Sirius Dealer Installed?