Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS 450H official Thread 0-60 in 5.2 SECONDS/25 MPG!!!$54,900

Old 07-15-06, 05:18 PM
xSnert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Active Stabilizer System Consumes Trunk Space?

A dealer told me that the Active Stabilizer System takes up more trunk space than a "base" GS450h without this feature. I have not been able to confirm this, but I suspect she is wrong.

I have read that the Active SS battery sits where the spare wheel would go (which is why the option requires run flat tires), but I haven't been able to find anything that specifically says the capacity of the trunk with the option installed. I have read, however, that the capacity of the trunk without the option is 7.5 cubic feet. Surely it doesn't get any smaller than that?

Does anyone have this option? Does it take up trunk space? Is it worth $3400?

P.S. - Did anyone catch the 30 minute Speed Test Drive that aired today on the Speed channel?
Old 07-15-06, 05:26 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by xSnert
A dealer told me that the Active Stabilizer System takes up more trunk space than a "base" GS450h without this feature. I have not been able to confirm this, but I suspect she is wrong.

I have read that the Active SS battery sits where the spare wheel would go (which is why the option requires run flat tires), but I haven't been able to find anything that specifically says the capacity of the trunk with the option installed. I have read, however, that the capacity of the trunk without the option is 7.5 cubic feet. Surely it doesn't get any smaller than that?

P.S. - Did anyone catch the 30 minute Speed Test Drive that aired today on the Speed channel?
1. Welcome to Clublexus.
2. Yes the speed test drive was incredible, I saw it.
3. **** does not take up more trunk room but does eliminate the spare tire.

Wow, another person in GA, check out www.seloc.net as well.

And I recommened Hennessy Lexus of Gwinnett, ask for Jack Ross, tell him Mike from SELOC sent you
Old 07-15-06, 06:36 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

"I have read that the Active SS battery sits where the spare wheel would go (which is why the option requires run flat tires)"

xNert, this statement is exactly correct. As mentioned by 1sicklex, the 450h with the active stabilizer has the same trunk as without the stabilizer. I have the stabilizer option on mine and its battery is in the spare tire area below the trunk.

An extra feature of this extra battery is should the front engine battery ever go dead you can jump yourself using the rear battery. Not that I ever plan to use that feature but kind of cool. By the way, I find the stabilizer to really work as the car corners very flat and never really any kind of lean in a curve. That's not to say it drives like a sports car but it handles quite well with this option and I am glad mine has it.
Old 07-15-06, 06:54 PM
xSnert
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your responses 1sicklex and hendjaz.

Hendjaz - is there a rocker switch to activate the Active SS feature, or is it "always on"?
Old 07-15-06, 10:14 PM
hendjaz
Pole Position

Thanks for your responses 1sicklex and hendjaz.

Hendjaz - is there a rocker switch to activate the Active SS feature, or is it "always on"?

It's always on. No reason to have it off. It is not intrusive in any way. Very transparent so you never notice it.
Old 08-29-06, 10:53 AM
watt
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
There is no way a GS450h is going to be as much fun to drive as an S4.
this is debate-able... we own both. the active suspension in the H provides a better ride, less slamming, the balance between power/brakes/handling is excellent.

the s4 feels less powerful to me and less "finished"

i prefer the 450H by a large margin and have pawned the s4 off on my wife
Old 08-29-06, 10:58 AM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by watt
this is debate-able... we own both. the active suspension in the H provides a better ride, less slamming, the balance between power/brakes/handling is excellent.

the s4 feels less powerful to me and less "finished"

i prefer the 450H by a large margin and have pawned the s4 off on my wife
Interesting. Is your S4 a B6 with the V8 or a B5 with the biturbo V6? Also, is it a manual or an automatic? I could see both of those factoring into your assessment. Very interesting to hear from someone who has both...
Old 09-18-06, 07:44 PM
genyosai
Driver

Does eliminate the spare, doesn't not take up more trunk space. As far as is **** worth it... I test drove one without the **** and then ordered mine with. I CAN TELL the difference! I love it!

Now, can anyone here tell me why the navi override sequence (menu, volume, top-bottom-top-bottom) in my GS450h doesn't work as it does in my IS350 and as it dod in my '06 GS300???? I see where others on the board says it works, but turns out that theirs is an earlier build than mine. I ordered mine (with ****) and received it 3 weeks ago (took exactly 45 days to get).

--nick
Old 06-14-09, 02:57 PM
LexFather

Bump for some who might have missed this.

Old 06-14-09, 04:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx for posting, mike. faster and better gas mileage than the competition, it doesn't get better than that!
Old 06-14-09, 04:35 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Bump for some who might have missed this.

Their selection of 0-60 times is a bit suspect IMO but aside from that... let's see a MPG vs handling and/or track times chart.
Old 07-26-10, 04:06 PM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post 2010 Canadian Review

In the GS 450h, Lexus has created a hybrid in more ways than one.

Sure, like all vehicles of its kind, the GS employs a sophisticated gas-electric powertrain. But it is also a hybrid in terms of its role, nearly as much sports sedan as it is luxury sedan.

A gentleman and a brawler; a refined vehicle with enough of an edge to make it one of the most interesting cars in the Lexus lineup.

I’ve always liked the look of the GS, with its long hood, steeply raked windshield and swept-back, projector-style headlamps. The roofline slopes backwards into a bobbed rear end, topped by a sporty lip spoiler. Large-diameter dual exhausts add an aggressive note.

For 2010, the GS hybrid has a new front grille and wheel design with big 18-inch alloys and wide performance radials filling the wheel openings.

The GS lineup is also available in three conventional gas-powered models: the GS 350 RWD and GS 350 AWD (both with a 3.5-litre V6), and the GS 460 RWD (with a 4.6-litre V8). These are available in various trim levels, but the base vehicles for each start at $52,500, $54,500 and $67,100 respectively.

As a hybrid, the GS 450h (also a rear-driver) is offered as one, fully loaded model at $71,999. That wasn’t the case in 2009 where you could buy a base model at $63,050 and the Ultra Premium model for $69,650.

Price tag aside, 72-grand buys a lot of car, and this begins with a hybrid system that despite its ability to conserve fuel; is targeted more at driving enthusiasts than the granola-and-sandals crowd.

This powertrain features a 24-valve, DOHC 3.5-litre V6 mated to a high-torque electric motor, along with a storage battery and energy management system. It allows the gas engine and electric motor to work independently or together, switching seamlessly between modes, according to demand.

If you’re wondering why the GS 350 and GS 450h share the same engine, but not the same numbering convention, the company claims it’s because the hybrid delivers performance on par with a 4.5-litre V8. Which makes sense as the GS 460 delivers only three more horses than the hybrid system’s 339 net hp.

Unlike the gas-powered GS models, the hybrid gets a continuously variable transmission (CVT) with 6 predetermined shift points (or virtual gears) that can be selected sequentially with the console-mounted shifter. I wouldn’t typically choose a CVT for anything labelled a “sports sedan,” but in the GS 450h it works.

Stomp on the accelerator and the hybrid system’s electric motor provides maximum torque almost instantly. It’s kind of like a turbo without the lag. The gas engine, mated to the CVT, quickly winds up the revs to deliver peak horsepower. Combined, power delivery is strong and linear, without the shift delays you’d normally experience from an automatic.

You can get even more kick in Sport mode, selected by a console-mounted rocker switch. This setting provides an even quicker throttle response, and 0-100-km/h acceleration in less than 6 seconds.

Of course, tapping into all that power comes with a price. The GS 450h is rated at 8.7/7.8/8.2L/100 km (city/hwy/comb) – on par with many 4-cylinder vehicles. My eagerness to prod the pedal, however, trashed the fuel economy, netting me just over 11.0L/100 km combined.

That same rocker switch can also be set to ‘Snow.’ In this mode, a typical automatic would start out in second gear; with the CVT, it simply routes less torque to the rear wheels to reduce slippage.

For typical driving, however, the ‘Normal’ setting provides an optimal balance between performance and fuel economy, allowing it to run in electric-only mode longer (up to 60 km/h) and more frequently.

There are several more adjacent switches revealed by sliding back the wide centre armrest a couple of inches. One of these controls the adaptive variable suspension.

On the Normal setting, comfort is a priority. This was my usual choice, as the ride was not floaty, but still forgiving on uneven surfaces. Set the rocker switch on Sport and the suspension firms up, reducing body roll and enabling the GS to corner flat at high speeds.

Another switch shuts off traction control. With the GS hybrid’s ample torque, defeating the system could present a problem on wet pavement, but when it’s dry, the car’s wide tires do an effective job of transferring power to the ground, with minimal wheelspin.

The GS 450h shares some basic architecture, like the suspension, with the LS flagship sedan, but the geometry is specific to the sportier GS.

There’s no shortage of safety and handling technologies, with vehicle dynamics integrated management, stability control, traction control, hill-start assist, antilock brakes, brake assist, electronic brake force distribution and the intuitive park assist system all coming as standard.

You also get 10 airbags and active front headrests with whiplash protection.

Inside the GS hybrid’s extremely quiet and cosseted cabin, you’ll find an extensive suite of luxury and convenience features. These include premium leather seating surfaces; 10-way power front seats with heating, ventilation and three memory settings for the driver; proximity key with pushbutton start; automatic climate control; voice-activated HDD navigation system; power tilt/telescopic wood steering wheel with audio controls; power moonroof; power rear window sunshade; 14-speaker AM/FM/XM Mark Levinson audio system with six-DVD changer; and much more.

The instrument layout is attractive and easy to read, as are the controls on the centre console. As mentioned, more can be found under the armrest and several are contained in a small panel to the left of the steering column.

This drops down to reveal controls for the trip odometer, parking sensor, rear sunshade, mirrors, headlight system and more.

I would have preferred that the mirror settings, which I access frequently, be on the door or dash in a convenient location. Still, I can see why designers tucked many of these buttons and ***** away, lest the Lexus interior begin to resemble an airplane cockpit – or an Audi.

There’s decent room in back for three adults, but knee room is a bit snug for tall passengers. The one compromise in buying this hybrid, as opposed to a conventional gas-powered GS, is in the trunk where the battery takes a bite out of its capacity.

In the GS450h, you get 0.30 cubic metres of cargo space (10.6 cubic feet), whereas the GS 350/460 provides 0.360 cubic metres (12.7 cu. ft.). Still, the trunk is good enough for a couple of golf bags, minus the carts.

It’s a minor gripe and one of very few I could find in the GS 450h.

Except, perhaps the price tag, which is probably why you don’t see many of these vehicles on the road.
Lexus GS 450h 2010 Hybrid Sedan at a glance

BODY STYLE: mid-size, luxury/sports sedan

DRIVE METHOD: front-engine, rear wheel drive

ENGINE: 3.5-litre, 24-valve DOHC V6 with electric motor; 339 net hp and 267 lb/ft of torque from gas engine only.

FUEL ECONOMY: 8.7/7.8/8.2 L/100km (city/hwy/combined).

PRICE: $71,900

Old 02-10-14, 08:37 PM
LexFather

What a great car!
Old 02-11-14, 10:19 AM
TexGS450
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree! Lexus flagship GS model, but I'm sure 460 owners will disagree.