Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Frankfurt GS450h official new specs

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-05, 12:51 AM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frankfurt GS450h official new specs

POWERTRAIN

Displaying similar operational characteristics to the RX 400h’s Hybrid Synergy Drive®’ system, a completely new, front engine, rear-wheel drive Lexus hybrid powertrain has been engineered for the GS 450h.
It features an ultra smooth running, 3.5 litre D-4S direct injection V6 petrol engine generating over 210kW/286 DIN hp mated to a high-output, permanent magnet electric motor developing over 140kW/190 DIN hp, driving the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as appropriate. The system produces a total power output of more than 250kW / 340 DIN hp.
The petrol engine combines a new D-4S fuel injection system with high strength chain drive and roller rockers, and high torsional stiffness connecting rods. New, double slit, fan-shaped spray injectors optimise the fuel/air gas mixture formation for maximum combustion efficiency, generating higher rpm and power output with minimal emissions. The new D-4S system’s combination of direct and port injection realises optimum engine efficiency throughout the power band. Direct injection improves fullpower engine performance, whilst both low-power engine fuel economy and emissions reduction are enhanced through the coalition of direct and port injection systems.
In addition to the petrol engine, the new GS 450h Hybrid Synergy Drive® system comprises a power control unit, a high performance nickel-metal hydride battery and a power transmission unit.
The power transmission unit consists of an electric motor,a generator, a power split device and motor-speed reduction gears. Via planetary reduction gears, the power split device combines and re-allocates power from the engine, electric motor and generator according to operational requirements. As in the RX 400h, these system components are all housed in one lightweight, highly compact transmission casing.
Unique to the GS 450h, however, the new hybrid transmission system now incorporates two-stage motor speed reduction gearing. Through the new luxury sedan’s seamless, continuously variable automatic transmission, the twin stage gearing generates maximum low-gear torque for significantly enhanced acceleration, as well as extended high-gear performance for quiet, high speed cruising with improved fuel efficiency in almost all driving conditions.

PERFORMANCE

The new powertrain equips the Lexus luxury hybrid sedan with performance characteristics on a par with conventional 4.5 litre V8 engined models. Combined power output is over 250kW / 340 DIN hp, and the new GS 450h will accelerate seamlessly from 0-100kph in less than 6.0 seconds, the Lexus hybrid transmission system eradicating the expected ‘jumps’ between gears of a conventional drive-train.
Equally impressive is the potent mid-range torque afforded by the system’s powerful electric motor. Operating in tandem with the V6 petrol engine, it is capable of delivering maximum torque instantaneously, and seamlessly, upon demand. This characteristic is most beneficial in mid-range acceleration during overtaking manoeuvres, and the Lexus GS 450h will accelerate from 80 to 120kph in under 5 seconds.
Conversely, the GS 450h also proves substantially more frugal than comparable sports sedans, returning combined fuel economy figures on a par with those of a 4-cylinder 2.0 litre engined vehicle. Moreover, already compliant with EURO IV emissions standards and rated SULEV (Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle) in the USA, the new Lexus returns CO2 emissions of under 195g/km; markedly less than rival, premium sector sedans with similar engine power.

PS! The "tach" goes up to 275kw.
Attached Thumbnails Frankfurt GS450h official new specs-gs_450h_14_low.jpg  
Old 09-19-05, 12:28 PM
LexFather

Itsuki_23, thanks so much for this info. So "over" 340 DIN. Can someone estimate what that is for us? Its okay if its a pre new SAE guidelines.

I had a review of the RX400h and it had power all over, especially at speed, it was impressive.
Old 09-19-05, 01:05 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 DIN hp = 1 PS = 0.98632175 pre-modification SAE hp.
Currently the 2GR-FSE on the IS350 produces 318ps while producing 315ps on the GS350, according to lexus.jp

I hope that when they said "over 286 DIN hp" they really mean a lot "over", or I'm a bit disappointed to see that they detune the 2GR-FSE by as much as 29ps, from 315ps to 286ps, but will still believe it's for the good of a better emission and gas mileage, and to deliberately avoid overpowering the upcoming GS460.

Also, I hope that when they said "permanent magnet electric motor... driving the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as appropriate", they mean that the system distributes torque between the two rear wheels in the same way as the SH-AWD, in which torque is distributed to the outer wheel to maximize the inward yaw when cornering. Daihatsu (owned also by Toyota) has a cool gas-electric hybrid sport concept in the Frankfurt show that does exactly that, so it's reasonable to expect the GS450h to include this SH-RWD feature.

EDIT: Oh and BTW here's the Daihatsu Hybrid Vehicle Sports Concept:
http://www.autoindex.org/news.plt?no=1220

Last edited by XeroK00L; 09-19-05 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-19-05, 02:30 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Sweet. Sounds great. I cant wait.
Old 09-19-05, 02:37 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was expecting more ike 380ish
Old 09-19-05, 02:39 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Yeah, kinda wasting the last section of the power meter isn't it?
Old 09-19-05, 03:24 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I would like to testdrive one of these soon.
Old 09-19-05, 03:34 PM
JHStrange
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by XeroK00L
Also, I hope that when they said "permanent magnet electric motor... driving the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as appropriate", they mean that the system distributes torque between the two rear wheels in the same way as the SH-AWD, in which torque is distributed to the outer wheel to maximize the inward yaw when cornering.
I think when they say "both independently and in tandem" they're just referring to the source of power; V6 and/or Electric Motor not between the wheels themselves.

Also they refer to a seamless CVT transmission. While this is admirable and could improve performance I would miss the "feel" of the shifting transmission of old. It feels like more performance with the "bang" of the shift even if the numbers wouldn't support it.
Old 09-19-05, 06:42 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by JHStrange
I think when they say "both independently and in tandem" they're just referring to the source of power; V6 and/or Electric Motor not between the wheels themselves.

Also they refer to a seamless CVT transmission. While this is admirable and could improve performance I would miss the "feel" of the shifting transmission of old. It feels like more performance with the "bang" of the shift even if the numbers wouldn't support it.
I was wondering too, b/c if the GS say, had a SH-RWD tech, wouldn't it basically argue with the VDIM?

Wow a GS with CVT, too cool
Old 09-19-05, 06:57 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

Sounds so cool! I am eager for these to hit the market. I particularly like the idea of the electric motor smoothing out the transmission hops. I hope the competition steps up to answer Lexus on this one--I'd like to see some vibrant competition in the hybrid luxury vehicle space! Props to Lexus for leading the way.
Old 09-19-05, 07:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,494 Likes on 1,639 Posts

I think a CVT is a must with a hybrid powertrain because it would be too complicated to program a conventional tranny with it. With the CVT it's simpler because you want the gasoline engine to get to max torque rpms on hard acceleration and max efficiency rpms on cruising without worrying about gearing. I've no doubt it's complicated either way from a software standpoint, but my guess is discrete gears would have more associated wear and tear from shifting than usual when you have two power plants.

Anyway, good to see some numbers. Wonder if there will be any other changes also, like suspension mods?
Old 09-19-05, 08:15 PM
LexusLuver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by blacksc400
I expect passing power to be on par w/400hp
Old 09-19-05, 09:18 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JHStrange
LOL was reading too fast.
Thanks for the correction.

Hopefully Daihatsu's concept will be implemented in more Toyota cars in the future.
Old 09-19-05, 09:58 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

My logic here is probably messed up or there's something that I'm missing, but the article states, "It features an ultra smooth running, 3.5 litre D-4S direct injection V6 petrol engine generating over 210kW/286 DIN hp mated to a high-output, permanent magnet electric motor developing over 140kW/190 DIN hp, driving the rear wheels both independently and in tandem, as appropriate. The system produces a total power output of more than 250kW / 340 DIN hp"

Well, 286+190= 476 total "DIN" HP, no? That cannot be right..
Old 09-19-05, 11:29 PM
Itsuki_23
Rookie

RX400h petrol engine + 2 electric motors give 272hp according to factory specs. But if you add those individual numbers up mathematically, then output should be 300+ hp.

Quick Reply: Frankfurt GS450h official new specs