Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

GS450h!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 01:36 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS450h!

I hope this isnt a repost! I ran a search and found nothing, so here goes!!!!

The Frankfurt motor show next month will see the European debut of the second Lexus hybrid, the high-performance hybrid GS 450h saloon. Due to go on sale in mid-2006, the GS 450h is the second production model from Lexus to feature a hybrid engine, following the RX 400h off-roader. The electric motor is coupled with a 3.5-litre V6 petrol engine to deliver a power output of over 300bhp. This is enough, claims Lexus, to propel the car from 0-62mph in under six seconds.

As with the RX 400h, increased fuel economy and reduced exhaust emissions represent the most significant benefits of the hybrid powertrain. In these areas Lexus claims that the GS 450h should be comparable to a conventional four-cylinder, 2.0-litre petrol saloon. No price has yet been decided, but expect it to start at under £35,000.

Also featuring at Frankfurt will be the new generation IS, to be launched at the end of the year. It is the first Lexus to feature diesel power, with a 2.2-litre four developing 175bhp and 295lb ft. It will also feature a comprehensive safety package including ten airbags and and the world's first twin-chamber front passenger airbag, which is designed to offer increased protection to the neck and shoulders in a crash.

Elsewhere on the Lexus stand, the revised SC 430 takes a bow and there will be a repeat appearance of the LF-A supercar concept. The 2006 SC 430 goes on sale in November this year, and will offer tweaked exterior and interior styling, as well as the addition of an Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS).

Source... Click here!
Old 08-29-05, 04:41 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

6 banger? You kidding? I hope not, I was hoping somewhere in the 350 range and a V-8.

Why does Lexus like going so slow? Does a grandma make the power decisions at Lexus or what? I need HP!!!!!
Old 08-29-05, 04:48 PM
djsaad1
Driver School Candidate

this hybrid is supposedly going to be faster then the currant 430, what more do you want from a hybrid? I am sure the 460 will be even faster then that.
Old 08-29-05, 04:54 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

What I would like is a car that can keep up with my friends BMW 3MG but wont be in the shop once a week, thats all.
Old 08-29-05, 04:56 PM
djsaad1
Driver School Candidate

you might be able to get that from the 460, but i doubt it.
Old 08-29-05, 05:11 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GS430X6
What I would like is a car that can keep up with my friends BMW 3MG but wont be in the shop once a week, thats all.
What is a 3MG?
And we don't even know SPECS yet on the 450h

Considering it will have the new 3.5 liter V-6, with 306hp, which got the IS 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, well couple that with a HYBRID, add 500 lbs (GS weighs more +hybrid tech) and times should be in the mid 5s with a possible flat 14 second 1/4 mile time.

That is speculative. We don't know facts yet.
Old 08-29-05, 05:48 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 banger? You kidding? I hope not, I was hoping somewhere in the 350 range and a V-8.

Why does Lexus like going so slow? Does a grandma make the power decisions at Lexus or what? I need HP!!!!!
The GS450h has always been known as a V6 hybrid since the very first rumor started. And what's wrong about that anyway? The electic drivetrain is already gonna add 400-500lbs, an upgrade to a V8 will cost another 200lbs. The GS is pretty heavy as is. What's the point for a 2-ton GS?

Only on the LS600h where agility isn't of top priority will a V8 hybrid system make sense. Unless they find a way to cut the weight of the electric drivetrain significantly, a V8 hybrid sport-anything just isn't happening anytime soon.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-29-05 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-29-05, 06:43 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what the 450h stand from. A V-6 fuel economy with the bang of the 4.5L V-8. Lexus used a V-6 directed injection from the IS350 which is around 306 hp and pairing with the electric motor which will add instance tourqe. So, the 450h will rate around 340 hp( gas+electric).
The GS460 will have to top that as well. I mean in a year the GS's line will have the GS350 with 306 hp, the 450h with( guessing) around 340, and the 460 with over 340 hp. The AWD 300 may be in the line up for the customer that not crazy about HP as well.
Lexus will lets their grandma designed the cars as long as the car is almost troublem free( pursuit of perfection). If you want HP, then you may look into the AMG with 650 hp, or the new M5 or sup up the Supra MKIV. Horse Power and reliability come in hand to hand. You can't get both, that why Lexus lets their grandma designed the car. That's why your friend BMW 3MG( first time I've heard this model) alway in the shop, but his car is fast as hell.
Old 08-29-05, 08:35 PM
tmds
Driver School Candidate

As an M owner, I can't wait for Lexus to bring the hybrid GS to market. In my opinion, hybrid technology should be available up and down through all tiers of automobiles. I look forward to how much the GSh will shake things up. Toyota really deserves a lot of credit for pushing hybrids with a vengeance. These are the sort of things that make me excited to think about what's going to be on the market in 2008 when my lease is over.
Old 08-31-05, 04:11 PM
GS430X6
Pole Position

sorry for the typo, how bout BMW M3. but you knew that , right?

Did not mean to raise your heart rate with my granny comment but I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of power or the fact there was not a HP increase. Why would they redesign the GS then keep the same HP as its predecessor? Makes no sense. Does Lexus sell so many cars they do not care if they sell more cars then the year before? More HP would have attracted more people who care about HP and sold more cars. Also 50 or so more HP would not in any way shorten the engine life or lower its reliability. Once the new cars with more HP do come out I will not even consider buying one cause I'm not very happy I payed sticker on my 3gs430 and one year later they sell one with more HP. If I would had know they were going to release a higher HP car a year later, electric, hybrid, solar or what ever, I would have waited. Shame Shame on Lexus. and granny.
Old 08-31-05, 04:41 PM
LexFather

sorry for the typo, how bout BMW M3. but you knew that , right?

Did not mean to raise your heart rate with my granny comment but I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of power or the fact there was not a HP increase. Why would they redesign the GS then keep the same HP as its predecessor? Makes no sense. Does Lexus sell so many cars they do not care if they sell more cars then the year before? More HP would have attracted more people who care about HP and sold more cars. Also 50 or so more HP would not in any way shorten the engine life or lower its reliability. Once the new cars with more HP do come out I will not even consider buying one cause I'm not very happy I payed sticker on my 3gs430 and one year later they sell one with more HP. If I would had know they were going to release a higher HP car a year later, electric, hybrid, solar or what ever, I would have waited. Shame Shame on Lexus. and granny.
1. It was a hellified typo. 3MG. So EVEN with us swapping the M and 3, well we have M3G. I still don't know what car that is.
2. I don't mean to come across as cross either but your the type that seemingly cares only about HP which is fine, but don't complain, when you car breaks down.
3. Its the LUXURY market first, HP is not everything
4. What about the 525 and all of its 184hp?
5. It doesn't make sense to you BECAUSE you have not participated in previous threads NOR searched to see WE KNOW why Lexus delayed the newer engines. Its to keep the model FRESH, instead of going 7 years with the same engines.
6. The car is selling VERY well, surpassing Lexus expecations so it seems HP is not everything. Sigh........
7. Even with not the most RATED power, the ACCELRATION is VERY competative. THe GS 300 is only a few ticks behind the 530 with a whooping 15 more HP. And the GS 430 is barely slower is not as fast as the 545 with 325hp (no times on the 550 yet).

So enough with the granny comments and enough with the smart replies. If you cannot talk to other members without trying to insult them, your stay here will become very short.
Old 08-31-05, 04:46 PM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Well regardless of a 6 or 8 cylinder hybrid, with gas as high as it is, I think a V6 makes more sense. Plus this is pretty advanced engineering so they want something sensible and reliable first...that is what toyota is about.
Old 08-31-05, 04:53 PM
DuttyLeXus
Pole Position

when I come to think about it.....I got a 99 gs400 and I'm quite satisfied with the stock hp...I did a few minor things to tweak it up and I'm happy. The Lexus lineup is aimed more towards luxury and elegance not really performance, that's why we have a very big aftermarket for these cars. Also is it really necessary to have more than 300 hp? I don't think it would be very safe for our young drivers....also how fast you really want to go from one place to another <60sec?
Old 08-31-05, 04:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

You wouldn't be much better off if you bought a 545i 0r 645 spring last year, now they are upgraded to 550 & 650 . . .
Old 08-31-05, 04:56 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Something from Lexus that would beat M3 would either be a V8 IS (IS460) or a Hybrid IS (IS450h or something). the GS was never meant to compete with the M3 to begin with.

Other than performance, the GS beats M3 in every other category (comfort, luxury, NVH, reliability, customer service, etc.) The same can be said about the IS, but I'll wait until a V8 or hybrid comes out to make comments about that.

Quick Reply: GS450h!