Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400H: Looknow's review

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 09:49 PM
dkeyes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RX400H: Looknow's review

Your review was great. I just test drove an RX400h for two days and am thinking of buying one for my wife. I drive a 2004 LS430. I especially agree with your observations about the acceleration and the improved riding quality of the 400 over the 330, given the extra weight mounted low and the stiffer suspension--much less bounce and sway than the 330.

I had not focused on the potential problems of running out of gas and then needing Lexus to obtain a special battery charger; nor the problem with the vapor pump and the tempory lockout from filling gas, especially in hot climates (where I live) and low gas (like I drive, much to my wife's consternation). When I leave my car at the airport for sometimes more than two weeks, after your review I will have to worry about the fact that I am not turning on the engine and charging the batteries in the parked 400h. (Maybe I should get a Volvo XC-90 (better cargo space, good looks and ride, but worse gas mileage and service, and a record of poor service reliability, in which Lexus excels.)

Comparing the average mileage I was getting in the 400h, about 22 mpg of mostly city driving, and looking at the instantaneous mileage while driving, I am not sure that the overall miles per gallon will be any better than my LS400, which also averages about the same mileage and shows about the same instaneous readings except at very low speeds. In the 400h, it sure looks nice at stop lights or stopped traffic to see 0 mpg being consumed, because the engine is off.

I also hadn't focused on the lack of remaining-miles information with respect to remaining fuel. It would be nice to have that on the 400h and also the parking warning indicators, front and rear, which are on the LS430, but not the RX400h. But these aren't to me as significant as the problems of fuel refill temporary lockout, or worse if the fuel runs out, and the necessity of keeping the car without more than a two week span of inactivity.

However, I really liked the 400h and may not be able to resist buying one.

As for the suspension on the 400h, although it is stiffer than in the 330 and gives a comfortable and better ride, the 400h does not offer the variable air suspension which is on my LS430 Ultra. With that suspension and the longer wheel base, I don't need to slow down over road humps in the LS430 in sport mode, while both the 400 and the 330 make loud thuds under the front suspension if I don't slow down to 20 mph or less over road humps. In the LS430, I can take them at any speed I want to. My LS 400 was not nearly as good and was no better than the 330 or the 400 over these road humps.
Old 10-01-05, 03:16 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be very difficult to compare the LS430 with the 400h, but I will say this.

The two issues described have not been experienced by anyone here at CL. Firstly the Fuel Shutoff. No one in hot weather (the summer has come and gone) has had to wait too much more than an instant for the fuel door to open up.

Regarding the battery no one has had this problem either. My father did have an issue whereby he left the key in the accessory position (he's not used to having to push the key in to then turn it to the lock position and he leaves the key in the car at home) Next morning the car was dead. Recharging it was as simple has removing a battery covery and jumping it. Only the 12V battery was a problem. Make sense.

When Consumer Reports does it's review of vehicles and publishes the "I would buy again stats" I think the RX400H will be right up there with the Prius. Which by the way is off the charts and in first place among all other vehicles. (Something like 92% would by again where the next runner up is in the low 80's and third is in the 70's...I'm guessing from memory)
Old 10-01-05, 07:41 PM
dkeyes
Driver School Candidate

Default RX400H: Looknow's review

Looknow12, my message was confusing on what vehicles I was comparing. As far as what to buy now, we've decided on the RX400h, which we picked over the RX330 (based on two extended test drives--two days for the 400h, which is AWD, and about five days for a 2WD version of the 330) and over the Volvo XC-90 five and eight cylinder versions. We liked the Volvo (we have owned them since 1977), but we have frequency-of-repair concerns with several Volvo models (including the XC-90, based on Consumer Reports, and the S80, based on our personal experience since we bought it in 1999, and based on Consumer Reports). Also, some of the electronics are more up to date in the Lexus, and the mileage in the Volvo would not be as good.

I mentioned the LS430 (because we own and are keeping a 2004 model) and the LS400 (because we owned one for ten years). I agree that the LS430 and the RX400h can't readily be compared, but one can compare the mileage and can compare specific features that are on the LS430 Ultra and have a wish list that they were available as options on the RX400h. But the 400h seems like a great car, is very nicely finished as to the interior and exterior, and drove very well; and the wish list is not for necessities, but rather niceties like parking warnings, and like some more places for things like coins.

Again, your review and your follow-up has been very helpful and confirmed what we had observed as well as adding a number of things that we did not know. I am glad that people are not actually having the bad battery and fuel cap experiences that seem to be possible.
Old 10-02-05, 04:00 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Congratulations. I'm certain you will be very happy with the 400h. We had to flip the 400h to my father because we already had a GX470 and GS430 and needed the room for a young one (plus a big dog). Actually the RX comes quite close to the space we needed, but the GX seemed to make a bit more sense and we didn't need a third vehicle.

I'm hoping Lexus will produce a hybrid GX in the future, but before then we may flip our GS if it has problems this winter (New England) for a 400h. The GS430 didn't do too bad through the one storm I had it. I think VDIM helped in cornering and the traction control was also much better than 2nd gen models.
Old 10-07-05, 09:01 PM
dkeyes
Driver School Candidate

I did buy a new RX400h today and go back to the dealer in the morning to pick it up. Based on our prior two-day test drive of a dealer demo and our reading of this Forum, Consumer Reports and various online info, I'm expecting a better ride and feel than the 330 and also very nice trim and included or optional items. However, I will be surprised if we get better than an average of about 22 mpg. Psychologically, it's nice to not use gas at stop lights or in stopped traffic, and to feel like we are doing a little bit for the environment.
Old 01-18-06, 10:02 AM
Barefoot B
Driver School Candidate

Default Fuel door

I have 1700 miles on my 400h now and am averaging 25mpg. Cold start ups here in Minnesota just kill the mileage. I payed MSRP but my dealer threw in two jackets and the class 3 receiver if I install it myself ( no problem since I have my own shop)
To install the hitch you have to remove the compartments in back where the jack is. On the driver side copartment there is an emergency manual release for the gas door. Has anyone tried this release when the warning indicater came on and they were unable to open the door?
Old 01-30-06, 10:45 AM
my400h
Driver School Candidate

Default YO ! Passing Everything?

[COLOR=Sienna]"Driving the 400 is fun. Try to keep your attention off the various meters and you really begin to enjoy it. Mostly because of its amazing power. You notice this on the higway. Driving 40, or 50, or 60, or 70, or even 80 and hit the throttle you'll pass nearly anything out there. It is incredible! From a stop light, the acceleration is not as agressive until you hit 15-20mph and at full throttle this drive system makes noise, but wooh how smooth it is! "[/COLOR

I don't know where you were driving, but obviously NOT I-95 in SC/NC where 85 is the cruising speed for most traffic.

When I punch my 400h I get mostly noise(straining/grunting) but few g's
If you want punch, come for a ride in my 540i

Hiway fuel consumption is ok...managed about 25mpg for 1st 4000 mi

Light duty/low speed ( as in City) gave 30 (+/-) mpg, a delight [IMG]

It's nice to see the 400h rated #2 in SUV hybrids, but it is not an earthdhaker.

I agree that you have to relearn paying attention to driving...so many neato displays..dangerous

Hurrying to save on taxes?...Buying in 2006 is better (Tax CREDIT vs Deduction) if you get in before the 1st 60,000 units are sold.

Does anybody know how many were sold in 2005?

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 01-30-06, 10:52 AM
my400h
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spwolf
what exactly is bad design?
Bad Design is not exactly anything...a lot of little , or a few MAJOR, shortcomings
Old 02-21-06, 06:58 AM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally Posted by my400h
Bad Design is not exactly anything...a lot of little , or a few MAJOR, shortcomings
Boy, it's hard to take this comment seriously. Or your first comment for that matter. Everything on the RX400h works specificly FOR A REASON. The gas door may not open immediatly because the vehicle is taking fuel vapor and storing it rather than letting it escape into the air. Evaporative emissions are one of the most concentrated levels of air polution, and the RX400h, as well as the current GS and IS, do their part to eliminate this. So you MAY have to wait an additional 8-15 seconds. I've NEVER waited. I turn the car off, mash the gas button and the gas door IMEDIATELY opens. In my personal RX400h, I remember only 2 times when I had to wait 2 SECONDS for the door to open.

If you consider this environmental responsibility that Lexus has decided to commit to as BAD DESIGN, then we will have to just agree to dissagree.
Old 02-21-06, 08:43 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Look
Good review, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-21-06, 09:11 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Looknow gives better information than any Car....

Rag out there, IMO. Most of my customers are thrilled with their RX400h purchases. A few had expectations of higher mileage averages and compared their actual mileage to the EPA estimates which are unrealistic. My customers are getting 24MPG combined. On an RX330 most will get around 18 to 19 MPG combined. I don't think it will win any races against the venerable 540i BMW unless there is snow on the pavement. It does however outperform the BMW X5 and the ML500 which are V8's. It does better than the non turbo Porsche Cayenne. BTW Porsche signed up a license to use the Lexus technology on a future car, possibly a Cayenne. My favorite feature on the RX400h is the VDIM. Take it out somewhere that has some room to play and try to make it break traction. It works like a charm on wet, snow or loose gravel traction conditions. Take the average Sport Ute out there and try a sudden avoidance maneuver with hard braking and you will be lucky not to roll it. The RX400h just does what you ask without losing its composure. It has to be one of the safest cars you can buy because of the VDIM.

Rock

Last edited by Rockville; 02-22-06 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-22-06, 03:15 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rockville
BTW Porsche signed up a license to use the Lexus technology on a future car, possibly a Cayenne.

Rock
Toyota Motor licensing hybrid technology to other car makers is something most of the public is unaware of. I know for a fact Ford and I believe Suburu has deals (of course Toyota owns most of Suburu) and I believe there are at least two other companies as well.

They (Toyota) of course license slightly older generation hybrid releases but it says something about how far ahead they are in this area of technology.
Old 02-22-06, 04:08 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default First Road Trip

I just got back from my first road trip in the RX400h and I'm very pleased. The round trip was about 800 miles from Tucson to Las Vegas. Overall mileage for the trip was 26.9 mph which I thought was excellent considering a lot of the miles were at over 80 mph. Ride is quiet and comfortable and the navi system worked very well. I had a couple of chances to pass cars and trucks on two lane roads and the acceleration was very good. I really like the quick acceleration with no jarring kick-down from the transmission. So far, I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Steve
Old 03-01-06, 05:30 PM
knolex2001
Driver

Originally Posted by looknow12
Toyota Motor licensing hybrid technology to other car makers is something most of the public is unaware of. I know for a fact Ford and I believe Suburu has deals (of course Toyota owns most of Suburu) and I believe there are at least two other companies as well.

They (Toyota) of course license slightly older generation hybrid releases but it says something about how far ahead they are in this area of technology.
This is how Lexus/ Toyota finances their future hybrid products.
Old 03-03-06, 02:35 AM
looknow12
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by knolex2001
This is how Lexus/ Toyota finances their future hybrid products.
Well it's one of their revenue sources. The other and main source is the sale of vehicles. If the Hybrid vehicle wasn't popular you could be sure Toyota wouldn't be advancing with all of these new models lined with the synergy drive power plant.

Quick Reply: RX400H: Looknow's review