HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Power mode - what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-14, 03:23 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Power mode - what does it do?

I recall asking this a few years ago here, but has anyone ever gotten the scoop on what Power Mode actually does? The owner's manual is absolutely useless, basically saying "push this button if you want to go faster". But I can't tell any difference other than the gas pedal getting more sensitive. At least in Eco Mode, they dial back the AC besides making the gas pedal less sensitive.

If I was designing it, I'd do something with the motor, like step up the max current applied, or deplete the battery further for a short period, so you actually accelerate faster even at full throttle.
Old 11-20-14, 01:51 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I know in my prior CT200h that power mode placed the electronic motor or battery into overboost so it sucked more power out of the battery, and the engine management algorhythm is changed so the gas pedal feels more like a regular gas engine car with regards to responsiveness also the steering is tightened up. I expect all Toyota hybrids have similar features. According to Toyota the acceleration numbers are the same in normal or power, it just feels faster and responds quicker to less accelerator pedal pressure in power mode.
Old 11-22-14, 02:13 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your gas pedal is nothing more than a potentiometer. It's just a switch as there is no cable hooked to the carburetor like in the "olden" days. All Power Mode does is make the switch more sensitive so you don't have to move it that far.

I usually run in Eco Mode and the last few days have been really cold. I was chilled and my interior temp was set at 73. So I tested what the difference was between Eco and Normal Mode is.

When I pushed the Eco button, and the light went off, the engine RPM's instantly increased 1000, and the heater blower motor went higher. My heater immediately started blowing warmer air and the car got warmer. The gas pedal made it feel like I just put a 6 cylinder under the hood. I also watched my overall mileage drop at the stoplights because the engine ran on where it used to shut down before.

In the CT, it changed the color of the gauges, so it made a much more pronounced "feeling of power".