HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus Safety Connect questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-14, 11:29 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus Safety Connect questions

I am trying to decide whether to get Lexus Safety Connect on my 2010 HS250h which is just ending its factory warranty.
I have had AAA for many years and am now retired. Currently, if I have a flat, an emergency medical condition, or an accident I would call AAA for help using my cell phone. I live in a rural area where emergencies can happen and no one would find you for days. I like the fact that the LSC contacts emergency services automatically when the airbags go off, you are rear ended, or you simply press the button for help.
The Lexus Safety Connect is not active as I bought the car from a non Lexus dealer. My question is does LSC replace my AAA, or is it an add-on so I can call Lexus with the SOS button and then they call AAA for me?
With Lexus Safety Connect (for $140 per year) do they pay for towing or do I still need AAA?
Old 01-23-14, 06:59 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kinda tough getting an answer in here, huh? I'm in the same boat as you are. I just bought my car and although it's a CPO car, I don't have Enform or Safety Connect. I thought I was going to get a free one year trial, but I called the call center last night and was told it's only good for NEW vehicles.

Regarding your question about whether or not you actually have to pay for a tow, I'm afraid I can't answer that. But if you call 1-800-25-LEXUS and press option 2, you'll get a real live person who can answer that question for you. My 2 cents worth? If you've got navigation, then perhaps you'd be better off with Safety Connect since they can do a few things for you AAA cannot do such as the stolen vehicle notification system, the one touch SOS, and the emergency notification if you deploy the airbags. If you've had AAA for many years, it may be hard for you to cut that cord but I can't see the value in having both. You certainly don't need a Trip-Tic if you have nav. Let us (is there anybody else in here?) know what you end up doing. I'm still tossing it around myself.
Old 01-24-14, 11:27 AM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other option...If you really want to keep AAA, something else to consider as a compliment to it would be a little device called an Automatic driving assistant (www.automatic.com). You purchase it for $99.95 (free shipping and no annual fees) and it plugs into and stays in your car's OBD II port. It links via Bluetooth to your smartphone and gives you feedback about your driving habits, etc. In the event of a crash, it reports the situation to emergency responders (you are given a 30-second window to respond and cancel if you're okay). It also will decypher a check engine light and tell you what the issue is; saving you a trip to the dealer (or sending you there better prepared).

Go to their website and watch the video and read about it. Might be a cheaper (and better?) alternative to what you really need.
Old 01-25-14, 01:22 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Once you have Safety Connect, you won't need AAA. In fact, since it uses GPS service, once you press the SOS button, or have an accident, they know exactly where to come without you telling them.

I really liked the e-destination part of the Enform package. It was nice looking up where you needed to go on your home computer and downloading it to your car. But at $240 per year, I cut the cord and let it expire.

Actually Safety Connect is a nice service but at $140, I feel it way too expensive. If I did a lot more travel in my car, I'd probably think differently.
Old 04-23-14, 03:46 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Safety Connect is $140 year (OnStar is $200, MBrace is $300).

If you would want the Enform Services for a nav equipped car it is an additional $125/yr. ($265/yr total)
for the Live Operator and the ability to transmit destinations from www.lexusdrivers.com by using the eDestination function.
Old 04-24-14, 04:18 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think it all comes down to piece of mind, and how much you can afford it :-) I'm not at retirement age yet, but have had a few chest pain scares recently, so I'm a bit more aware of my mortality than when I was younger. But so far I've held off getting the service, as it does seem costly for what is in essence just an emergency service, likely to be used less than once a year. I didn't use it at all when I had it (bought my HS new), and I used Onstar once on our Saab when it was new. But then I can be cheap - I didn't renew the satellite radio service when it expired either. I guess I'm just tired of growing monthly subscription fees - I spend enough already on TV, phone, cell phone, internet, netflix, etc.

As for AAA, I guess I don't understand the benefits for what you pay. I get roadside assistance via my insurance company, including towing, for $4/year/insured car. I've used it twice (on a VW, not my HS), and the response was quick and easy. I don't get travel planning, but I've never felt the need for that, especially now with smartphones. What else do you get with AAA for what they charge?