HS250 / Convertible conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-14, 05:09 PM
lexusinlou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Engineer
Project update:

Central Ohio does not seem to have been a hotbed of HS250h activity. The local Lexus dealers have not had a used HS for me to test drive in over two months of searching. In addition, the numerous local salvage yards around Columbus don't even have one. All of the recent salvage auctions have been states away, making transport of the car quite costly.

I have also recently learned that the HS mg2 electric drive motor pumps out 107kW vs 70kW in a Prius, so falling back to a Prius is very undesirable. The search for an HS continues!

I just wonder why Toyota didn't think of putting the HS power train in a Prius and calling it a sport model?

Bill the Engineer
Bill:

Try Byers Volvo in Columbus. They have a nice 2010 Premium with Tech Package, 45K miles and it's only $21,000! I was seriously considering this one but my local Lexus dealer made me a good deal when I "threatened" to drive north to buy that one. Has a very clean Carfax, too. It may be more than you're looking for but on the chance that you may decide to just keep the HS intact, you'd be hard pressed to beat the price on this car with this many options. Good luck!
Old 02-06-14, 04:04 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Project update:

I just wonder why Toyota didn't think of putting the HS power train in a Prius and calling it a sport model?

Bill the Engineer
My guess is the HS powertrain - bigger engine, bigger motor, bigger battery, beefier transmission, etc - wouldn't fit in a Prius, or would be too heavy for the chassis.
Old 02-06-14, 03:31 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Magellan55
My guess is the HS powertrain - bigger engine, bigger motor, bigger battery, beefier transmission, etc - wouldn't fit in a Prius, or would be too heavy for the chassis.
I have done a side-by-side comparison of the Gen III Prius and the HS250h. From the front axle to just behind the front seat, they are structurally identical. There would be nothing preventing Toyota from putting the entire HS powertrain in a Prius.

Bill the Engineer
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Gen3-HS50h compare.pdf (3.36 MB, 800 views)
Old 02-18-14, 11:20 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Kudos for the time and expertise exhibited so far! The battery vent out the faux tailpipe is clever.
Not to disappoint those of us with HS's but have you measured or considered the Camry Hybrid,
2.5L IC with 200 system HP vs. 2.4 & 187....
Old 02-18-14, 05:24 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mcomer
Kudos for the time and expertise exhibited so far! The battery vent out the faux tailpipe is clever.
Not to disappoint those of us with HS's but have you measured or considered the Camry Hybrid,
2.5L IC with 200 system HP vs. 2.4 & 187....
The Camry chassis is actually too long and would require a lot of cutting and splicing to trim back the sides and ends of the Camry floor to fit within the Firebird shell. The structural strength of the Camry chassis would be lost. Also the dash components are not as good of a match to the Firebird originals.

When I first started looking into the project, I examined all of the Toyota and Lexus hybrids. For example, the RX strut towers are too tall to fit within the Firebird fenders (although I'd love to find the rear axle traction system.) The Prius C is too small, the Prius V is too long and tall. The Plug-in Prius would be underpowered, although the plug-in capability would be cool applied to the HS drive.

An HS it needs to be!

Bill the Engineer
Old 03-24-14, 02:56 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

First MIG/TIG Welding class tomorrow night. Look-out, engineer with welder!

Now if the weather in Ohio would just warm up...

Bill the Engineer
Old 03-29-14, 07:35 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

I'm not wishing anybody any bad luck, but if anyone hears of a tree falling on an HS during a spring storm, please let me know!

Searching the salvage austions has been less that fruitful.

Bill the engineer
Old 05-01-14, 07:46 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

[IMG][/IMG]

I had one of those "D'oh!" moments. If I take 1-1/2 inces out of the front fenders and hood of the Firebird behind the front wheels, (relatively easy to do) then the wheelbase will be the same as an HS250h and I can use the chassis uncut from one vehicle. (I no longer need two.) That brings the cost of the project down to manageable. The attached photo is a to-scale overlay of the SHORTENED Firebird over a HS250h. I honestly don't think anyone would notice the reduced length unless I parked it next to another '67 Firebird.

Oh, and I finished taking the welding class I signed up for, so I'm ready to go for welding sheet metal!

Bill the Engineer
Old 05-02-14, 07:23 AM
sublexus
Rookie

I wish you success with your project! I'm following it with great interest!
Old 05-04-14, 09:03 AM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

[IMG][/IMG]

Anybody know if there is a 3-view (top/front/side) version of this available? It would help me in planning what goes where on the convertible.

Bill the Engineer
Old 05-13-14, 12:20 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

Purchased a used HS speedometer on E-pay last night. Now I can at least make some modifications to the Firebrid dash while I search for the right donor car.

I'll post progress photos when available.

Bill the Engineer
Old 05-17-14, 08:14 AM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

The new speedometer arrived. Things will be easier than I thought. The dimensions are VERY close to the old one.

Bill the Engineer
Old 05-17-14, 01:01 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you putting the Firebird speedo in the HS, or is it the other way around? I forget.

When you get into the HS unit, maybe snap a photo. I seem to remember it was one of the first on the market with OLED (organic) lighting. I'd be interested in figuring out how it's done.
Old 05-24-14, 05:31 AM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Are you putting the Firebird speedo in the HS, or is it the other way around? I forget.
It is hard to show with the graphics available to me. The entire HS floorpan, firewall and running gear will be replacing the floorpan and firewall of the Firebird. From the outside it will look factory stock, but underneath it will be pure hybrid.

As for the Dash, I plan to use the Firebird dash panel with the gauges from the HS adapted into it.

Bill the Engineer

Last edited by Engineer; 05-24-14 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-24-14, 06:01 PM
Engineer
Driver School Candidate

As for the Dash, I plan to use the Firebird dash panel with the gauges from the HS adapted into it.

Bill the Engineer

Here is the corresponding image for what needs to be removed from the Firebird. Most of the floorpans have rust holes anyway. Fortunately, the remainder of the body is good.

Bill the Engineer

Quick Reply: HS250 / Convertible conversion project