HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Sub 29 MPG for HS250h?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-13, 01:08 PM
geozou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub 29 MPG for HS250h?

I bought 2010 HS250h from dealer a few months back.

the car computer always shows the MPG at sub 30. see the picture I took.

I brought this issue to the dealer's Service Rep, who is not sympathetic and told me the car needs to learn my driving habit and asked to get back to him after a few more months driving.

Did I miss something?

have you checked your MPG?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by geozou; 08-12-13 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-11-13, 04:49 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So much depends on your driving patterns, how much idling you do with the AC running, how hard / fast you drive over the speed limit, etc., but this is lower than I've ever seen on mine, and I typically drive 10-15 mph over the speed limit, but not aggressively.

Can you describe your typical commute?
Old 08-12-13, 08:55 AM
geozou
Driver School Candidate

Mine driving pattern is just normal commute, more local than highway. I never drive over limit and I usually don't turn on AC as I am in Bay Area and don't need it.
Old 08-12-13, 12:59 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the car sux guys! the hybrid part of the system is about useless as it can get. U have cars this size already getting 29 to 30 mpg on a NON hybrid system. My uncle traded in this thing long time ago and never been happier.

heck the new nissan sentra that looks almost identical gets over 30mpg mixed. so u have to take things at face value here.
Old 08-12-13, 04:17 PM
sublexus
Rookie

Tantrix, do you or someone you know currently have an HS250h?
Old 08-12-13, 06:16 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Ah, a visitor! I love when the HS draws so much attention.

Geozou, I'm not sure what else to tell you, except to have the car checked out. The weather in the bay area is not so hot nor cold to drive your mpg down. Your commute isn't up and down to Skyline Drive is it? Assuming you've checked the simple stuff, like proper tire inflation, driving with the flow of traffic you really should be getting over 30 mpg. You said you've had it several months, which is plenty of time for it to "learn" your style - I bought mine new and the first tank was over 30 mpg so I just don't quite buy that from the dealer. Maybe you have a brake caliper sticking or your air filter is clogged. A long time ago my old Acura had mpg and performance drop off, and it turned out a mouse had built a nest in my airbox! So, you just never know...
Old 08-13-13, 09:45 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was getting 30 mpg when commuting in the city traffic in LA (where i had to do jack rabbit when driving since i didn't want cars to stick to my rear bumper). I hated Eco mode during my 1st 2 fillups.

Now that i am learning to embrace Eco mode a bit more, i am getting around 35 mpg in mix driving. I only got my car a few weeks ago though but i notice there is a sweet spot and if you can engage the electric motor more and go easy on the throttle, you should get higher MPGs.

I noticed certain bumper to bumper traffic actually hurt my MPGs (quick go and quick stop). The slow constant traffic helps quick a bit since the gas engine will be off most of the time.

I am still learning how to effectively maximize the efficiency of this car. I am trying to stay consistently at 35 MPG if possible.
Old 08-14-13, 11:39 AM
kamslexus
Driver School Candidate

I have owned the car for less than a month and so far averaging 37-39 mpg, ofcourse it's New England summer mixed highway/city commute.
The odometer computer states 37MPG, where when I divide the gallons with miles, I get around 36MPG.
I do use the Radar Cruise a lot and that does drain more gas sometimes I have noticed as it trys to speed up when the car infront of me speed up.
Other than that, pretty good 35+ MPGs for last 1500 miles or so
Just FYI
Get a clean Air Filter and don't have HARD FOOT
Old 08-25-13, 03:06 PM
geozou
Driver School Candidate

Default Back to Normal

Well, Well, the MPG is back to normal.

What I found is that for come reason, the car computer is using "cache" to calculate, resulting in erroneous MPG

The Services Consultant still asked me to wait for several months before I told him that after I reset the computer to zero, the calculation is now correct now.

Now the car is running 35 City and 37 highway.

Though I am still puzzled to the opposite of City/Highway MPG(did they tell us the you get higher MPG at city?) I am pleased that I am getting MPG close to what they claimed.

One thing to is sure, , Service and Sales consultants at dealers are trained to get more bucks out of you, they are not interested in your problems.
Old 08-26-13, 12:20 PM
kamslexus
Driver School Candidate

What do you get whenever you fill up?
I'm getting 35-37MPGs by going to same Gas Station, Average tank fill up is around 12 Gallons and about 425 Miles....
Old 08-26-13, 04:21 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TLPLEXUS
I was getting 30 mpg when commuting in the city traffic in LA (where i had to do jack rabbit when driving since i didn't want cars to stick to my rear bumper). I hated Eco mode during my 1st 2 fillups.

Now that i am learning to embrace Eco mode a bit more, i am getting around 35 mpg in mix driving. I only got my car a few weeks ago though but i notice there is a sweet spot and if you can engage the electric motor more and go easy on the throttle, you should get higher MPGs.

I noticed certain bumper to bumper traffic actually hurt my MPGs (quick go and quick stop). The slow constant traffic helps quick a bit since the gas engine will be off most of the time.

I am still learning how to effectively maximize the efficiency of this car. I am trying to stay consistently at 35 MPG if possible.
The city stop and go driving can be tough. Especially with speeds around 25 mph. What I do, when I don't have anyone on my bumper, is start out in EV Mode, which allows you to accelerate a little more briskly up to 19 mph without the ICE starting, I then watch the speedo and right at 19 mph, I chop the throttle, switch off EV, then gently re apply the throttle and watch the needle so I don't go out of the first green band.

Once you have the car up to 19, the electric motor will take it right up to 41 on electric alone. Just keep it one line into the first green band and watch the speedo because once you hit 42, the ICE starts.

I use this trick in other situations like parking lots. You just basically have to keep ahead of the car. Just like flying an airplane. With the HS, you have to monitor the hybrid needle position, the battery charge level, your speed, the traffic ahead, the traffic behind, the "current" setting on your multi-function indicator, the climate control setting, the outside temperature, whether you are grill blocking or not, and even how much of your foot is on the gas.

I went from fast GTI's and M3's, with trialing throttle oversteer, and apex braking, to my little HS, and I am having a blast and just as much fun driving it. There's way more to do when you have to integrate with the car to get better mileage.

And since new, I've never went below 40 mpg, even in the winter on my mixed commute.
Old 08-29-13, 12:12 PM
babbles
Pit Crew

Default Reset

How do you reset it back to zero???

What I found is that for come reason, the car computer is using "cache" to calculate, resulting in erroneous MPG

The Services Consultant still asked me to wait for several months before I told him that after I reset the computer to zero, the calculation is now correct now.

Now the car is running 35 City and 37 highway.

Though I am still puzzled to the opposite of City/Highway MPG(did they tell us the you get higher MPG at city?) I am pleased that I am getting MPG close to what they claimed.

One thing to is sure, , Service and Sales consultants at dealers are trained to get more bucks out of you, they are not interested in your problems.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-29-13, 03:11 PM
GS834
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by babbles
How do you reset it back to zero???
With the Trip Computer (the screen shown in the above shots) displayed on the MID press and hold the "Enter" button on the steering wheel until the data resets. Press inward and not up or down. You can reset the Average Speed the same way.
Old 08-29-13, 05:32 PM
babbles
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by GS834
With the Trip Computer (the screen shown in the above shots) displayed on the MID press and hold the "Enter" button on the steering wheel until the data resets. Press inward and not up or down. You can reset the Average Speed the same way.

Thanks for the info, I did reset the mpg. My tires are inflated to about 33psi but during normal driving they seem to inflate to about 34/35. Right now my mpg sits at 30.3 down from about 37.3.
Old 08-30-13, 10:59 AM
babbles
Pit Crew

Default Reset MPG

Thanks, reset it and it jumps back up to 37.9. When I fill up I usually go above the F and get an estimated 160 miles to a quarter tank. But that is filling up to above the F. Any thoughts or comparisons?