HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

mileage on your 2010/reported problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-13, 05:02 PM
minimize10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mileage on your 2010/reported problems

What kind of mileage on your 2010 and are any of you having any issues.I'm at about 49,000 and still running like its new,purrs like a kitten.I'm still averaging about 38-40 mpg hand calculated.I increased my tire pressure for summer driving and has helped with mpg'.Most of my driving is city.I came from a Mini Cooper "S" model which was a mechanical nightmare.I'm through with european Audi's BMW's and the like.There is something to say great about Toyota/Lexus and its long legacy of realiability.I'm sure everyone here can agree,unless of course you have experienced any mechanical issues....but hopefully not the case...
Old 05-06-13, 09:37 PM
TonyHS
Driver

29k miles my e-brake peddle cover kept coming off. Dealer replaced under warranty.
Old 05-07-13, 06:46 AM
Hollywood6
Driver School Candidate

Admittedly I do mostly city driving, I keep it in ECO mode most of the time, and I usually get about 32 MPG. When I mix more long cruising miles it get to about 36-38 MPG. With 26K on the odometer I haven't had any warranty repairs. Mine is developing a noise that sounds like a bearing going bad in one of the fans. After shutoff when it is sitting in the garage I can hear it. I'll have it checked out on my next oil change at 30K.
Old 05-08-13, 09:53 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minimize10
What kind of mileage on your 2010 and are any of you having any issues.
At roughly 50,000 km (31,000 mi) there have been no mechanical problems. The only repair under warranty to date was to fix a rattling window in the driver's door.

My average fuel consumption (calculated manually) is 7.8 L/100 km (30.2 mpg US). My best fill up has been 6.4 L/100 km (36.8 mpg US); the worst was 11.7 L/100 km (20.1 mpg US).*

*in Jan./13: short trips in town with temperatures never getting above -17C (1F).
Old 05-12-13, 06:26 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just passed 45k, and no problems so far. Averaging ~36mpg hand-calculated, about 37 mpg via the computer, mostly highway.
Old 05-24-13, 08:57 AM
1LEX4US4
Driver School Candidate

Hello There:
What are the numbers on your increased tire pressure?
Just purchased a 2010 HS250 with 24,000 miles on Sunday...Any hints on general use?
Thanks!
Old 05-25-13, 02:22 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I like keeping my pressures around 38 psi.

I can't think if anything special you need to do to drive an HS250, unless you want to do the hypermiling thing to get over 40 mpg. I do find I drive less aggressively, partly because I'm more conscious of the mpg meter, and partly because the CVT transmission has a huge throttle lag in it so it's not as much fun to drive as a manual.

Enjoy it!
Old 05-25-13, 05:24 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1LEX4US4
Hello There:
What are the numbers on your increased tire pressure?
Just purchased a 2010 HS250 with 24,000 miles on Sunday...Any hints on general use?
Thanks!
One or two quick tips I find that helps keep the mileage up is:

Keep your Multi- function Display in the center of your hybrid meter on "Current". That way when the bar is all the way across to the right, and it shows + 99.9 mpg, you know your ICE (engine) is shut off, and if you have your hybrid meter in the first green band, you know your running on battery alone.

But, sometimes you'll find that your engine just will not shut off like you think it should, or like you want it to. Say if you are in light traffic running about 25 to 35 mph.

The trick I use to get it to shut off every time, so I can glide on battery and run up my mileage, is to run it up to around 36 to 38 mph, and then chop the throttle. You'll feel the ICE shut off and see your "Current" go to + 99.9. Then you can slowly feed the throttle back in and stay in the first green band, and you'll glide right along on battery.

Watch the mpg's climb !! Especially after you've just filled the tank and did a reset.

BTW, I've been averaging right at 42 mpg since I bought mine.
Old 05-26-13, 04:05 AM
1LEX4US4
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAirman

Keep your Multi- function Display in the center of your hybrid meter on "Current". That way when the bar is all the way across to the right, and it shows + 99.9 mpg, you know your ICE (engine) is shut off, and if you have your hybrid meter in the first green band, you know your running on battery alone.

But, sometimes you'll find that your engine just will not shut off like you think it should, or like you want it to. Say if you are in light traffic running about 25 to 35 mph.

The trick I use to get it to shut off every time, so I can glide on battery and run up my mileage, is to run it up to around 36 to 38 mph, and then chop the throttle. You'll feel the ICE shut off and see your "Current" go to + 99.9. Then you can slowly feed the throttle back in and stay in the first green band, and you'll glide right along on battery.

Watch the mpg's climb !! Especially after you've just filled the tank and did a reset.

I will give it a try! Thanks for the helpful hints!
Old 06-01-13, 11:35 AM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAirman

In my experience, this trick only works if the engine is warmed up. I have not found a reliable way to get a cold engine into glide mode because these things are engineered to warm up first. Irritates me to no end sometimes, but I haven't found a way around it.

My 2010 HS got around 41 mpg (from the dash) during May 2012-May 2013. I always distinguish between cold weather mileage (which is lower) and warm weather mileage because of that need to keep the engine warm. Right now I've got around 36k on it and it runs great. I keep my tires at around 36 psi.

In fact, I need to buy my first set of replacement tires and I'm off to search the forum to see if anyone has made recommendations here.
Old 06-01-13, 12:07 PM
benfb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by minimize10
What kind of mileage on your 2010 and are any of you having any issues.I'm at about 49,000 and still running like its new,purrs like a kitten.I'm still averaging about 38-40 mpg hand calculated.I increased my tire pressure for summer driving and has helped with mpg'.Most of my driving is city.I came from a Mini Cooper "S" model which was a mechanical nightmare.I'm through with european Audi's BMW's and the like.There is something to say great about Toyota/Lexus and its long legacy of realiability.I'm sure everyone here can agree,unless of course you have experienced any mechanical issues....but hopefully not the case...
If you're got 49k miles, then you've already replaced your tires at least once. What do you drive on?

I've been rummaging around the forum for a good thread on replacement tires for the HS but haven't found anything useful yet. It's strange because when I need to replace the tires on my wife's 2006 RX400h, I found lots of good info.

I drive mostly good weather so I'm looking for tires that maximize mileage, as opposed to tires that focus on improved grip in bad weather. Anyone with suggestions? Thanks.
Old 06-03-13, 01:39 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by benfb
In my experience, this trick only works if the engine is warmed up. I have not found a reliable way to get a cold engine into glide mode because these things are engineered to warm up first. Irritates me to no end sometimes, but I haven't found a way around it.

My 2010 HS got around 41 mpg (from the dash) during May 2012-May 2013. I always distinguish between cold weather mileage (which is lower) and warm weather mileage because of that need to keep the engine warm. Right now I've got around 36k on it and it runs great. I keep my tires at around 36 psi.

In fact, I need to buy my first set of replacement tires and I'm off to search the forum to see if anyone has made recommendations here.
Yup.
And all bets on mileage are off when the A/C is on. That's where I take my biggest hit.

I set mine up so the A/C system doesn't come on automatically when the climate control system is in auto. I have to manually hit the A/C button. I noticed my (ICE) engine doesn't shut off like it should even at temperature. But as soon as I hit the A/C button, the engine shuts right off.

And as for some of the temperatures needed for the ICE to shut off:
you'll want to reach around 112 F for the ICE to shut down at stop signs after a few seconds.

And you'll need around 132 F for it to shut down after a few seconds while coasting or going down hill.

And lastly, you'll need at least 141 F for it to shut down immediately as soon as you lift your foot off the gas. Assuming your battery is up to charge.

Those temps are the reason I grill block in the winter. It adds a nice boost to your mileage.