HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

New owner has comments and questions

Old 02-20-13, 07:16 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile New owner has comments and questions

Hi HS250h owners,
I recently purchased a used 2010 HS250h with 35,000 miles after thinking long and hard about whether or not to buy a hybrid. I am retired and have owned many cars in the last 50 years - a 1969 BMW 2002 purchased new in 1969 (at the time no one even knew what a BMW was), various Triumphs (TR2, TR3, TR4-IRS), Porsches, Chevy’s, Buicks, Volvo, SAAB, and just traded in my RAV4 Limited V6 AWD.
I road tested only a 2012 Camry Hybrid and a 2010 Lexus HS250h (I thought of a Prius but my wife and I want something different and less ubiquitous). The Camry was a nice normal car, excellent in all respects but not that different from the RAV4 except for greater comfort and the hybrid drive system. The Lexus is much more solid on the road, not seen everywhere you go like the Camry, and the interior design is fantastic. Mine is a Premium model with just about every option except Mark Levinson sound. I have burned one tank of gas and gotten 36 MPG, so the gas saving mission is a success (The RAV4 got 22 MPG).

I have a few questions that I hope you can answer:
1. I have only one key and need to go to a Lexus dealer to get another. I heard the cost is about $400. Is a key card any cheaper than the key fob?
2. My front camera is fogged up with moisture due to the Seattle winter and sitting on a used car lot for 6 months. Will this clear when the weather is drier?
3. I try to do most of my own maintenance and saw no mention of the fuel filter in your forum. Has anyone replaced theirs?
4. Has anyone had to replace their 12V battery? I saw a recommendation for the Sewell website and they list Part Number 2880028100 for $279.89
Does the original battery go all at once or die gradually?
5. I have sensors just above the steering wheel (for PCS?) and there are 4 red LED’s that glow but the online Lexus manual says there should be a switch to the left of the steering column. I don’t have that switch so why are the sensors there and do I have PCS?

I have been driving mine for 10 days and I notice other Lexus drivers looking at it because I guess they think it’s a new hybrid model (with the TV ad pushing Lexus hybrids). It’s good to drive something unusual for a change.

If anyone can help answer my questions, I would sincerely appreciate the response.
Old 02-21-13, 05:32 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

2. Go to a dealer and see what they say. I'd rather have it replaced under warranty than worry about it.

5. The disable button is actually somewhat hidden below the steering column. If you start feeling around down there, you should find it.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Last edited by Stoodo; 02-21-13 at 05:50 AM.
Old 02-21-13, 05:49 AM
POWDERB20
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. the key fobs are rather expensive but you can always saw some money by opting out on getting a key shank.
2. like stoodo said, i would take it to the dealer. it shouldn't have moisture in it either way.
3. the fuel filter is actually located inside the fuel pump assembly, i wouldn't worry about it until you actually have an issue.
4. yea the factory battery is rather expensive, I have never replaced one though.
5. stoodo is correct again.
Old 02-21-13, 08:48 AM
TonyHS
Driver

I'm planning on getting a keycard myself, looks like only drawback is no buttons on card, lock, unlock, ect but they are not really needed. I would get a second key as soon as possible. If you loose the key you wont be able to start your car and drive it, and will need to either tow it to a dealer or a locksmith that knows how to work on the proximity key systems. And it's more of a mess to add keys if you dont have one of the currently programed keys. You can order a key from swell and take it to a dealer or a locksmith that knows proxy systems.

My original 2006 Prius 12V battery lasted till the car was totaled this year, I'd expect this battery to last a long time too.

Sounds like you have the tech package, if you have the 4 leds you have pcs.

Congrats and welcome to the forum
Old 02-21-13, 04:58 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Default Thanks for the information

I will see if the dealer can have the front camera in stock when I go to have my 2nd key made. I also need to add some DOT3 brake fluid, the reservoir is low but I expect that is common as the pads wear down with use. Too bad we can't use 5W-20 oil in the HS250h engine, Costco has Mobil 1 on sale for $28 for 6 quarts, the cheapest I have ever seen it. Thanks again to all for your help.
Old 02-21-13, 06:54 PM
ceads9
Driver

Good luck .with your HS . There are only a few of us out there.
Old 02-21-13, 07:19 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just adding to what others have already said.

I saw some cheaper fobs on ebay, but after you have them programed and the key cut, I wonder how much money you really save? And the key card is big bucks too.

The front wide view camera lens isn't glass, it's some sort of resin, so use care with that. It's also waterproof. Is the fogging outside or inside, or is the lens dis- colored due improper cleaning?

The filter is cleanable by the dealer, or you could do it yourself. But it isn't part of any maintenance schedule for the HS that I know of.

The battery is some sort of gel battery, hence the cost. It should last a long time as most of them do. I wonder what happened to yours? There are cheaper other than Lexus. Try Interstate.

Oh yeah, my uncle had a 1600. That got me started on my years with BMW before I went to a hybrid. Also< i was just seconds away from buying a TR3-IRS, but got the MGB instead just because it was newer. But alas, so many years ago!!!
Old 02-22-13, 09:30 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Just adding to what others have already said.

I saw some cheaper fobs on ebay, but after you have them programed and the key cut, I wonder how much money you really save? And the key card is big bucks too.

I will just go to the dealer for this. I was angry that the used car dealer didn't have a second key or owner's manual, but I did find the service record on the Lexus website.

The front wide view camera lens isn't glass, it's some sort of resin, so use care with that. It's also waterproof. Is the fogging outside or inside, or is the lens dis- colored due improper cleaning?

The fogging is small water droplets on the inside but the lens seems clear except for that.

The filter is cleanable by the dealer, or you could do it yourself. But it isn't part of any maintenance schedule for the HS that I know of.

I am surprised that you don't have to change it, but I am not having any problems at this time.

The battery is some sort of gel battery, hence the cost. It should last a long time as most of them do. I wonder what happened to yours? There are cheaper other than Lexus. Try Interstate.

Having lived in Florida, we are used to changing the battery every 3 years. My used HS250h came from Provo, Utah and I don't know how long to expect it to last. On the forum it doesn't seem like anyone has had to buy a new 12v battery.

Oh yeah, my uncle had a 1600. That got me started on my years with BMW before I went to a hybrid. Also< i was just seconds away from buying a TR3-IRS, but got the MGB instead just because it was newer. But alas, so many years ago!!!
I wish that I still had all of the cars of my youth, they would probably be worth a fortune today!

Last edited by toomeypj; 02-22-13 at 09:37 AM. Reason: I used italics in my responses so I need to reformat
Old 03-04-13, 09:11 AM
jbripps
Rookie

If you go to sewell, and use the discount code from this site (Sorry, I can't recall how to get that code). the keyfob is approx. 150, and the dealer charges 35 to program it. When you get an oil change, let them do it then.

Congrats and good luck!
Old 03-07-13, 08:58 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use 5W20. Just go back to 0W20 on the next oil change.
That's out of our owners manual.
2010 Hs250H
In other words safe to run 5w20 occasionally.
Personally, I think the most important thing is to change it regularly. If you can't find 0w, use 5w
Old 03-07-13, 11:51 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use mobil 1 5w20 from costco in the HS, no issues.
Old 03-08-13, 03:04 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

I just picked up Valvoline Syn-Power full synthetic 0w-20 at O'Reilly's Auto Parts on sale for $4.99 a quart.
Old 03-10-13, 06:12 PM
Mike4puy
Driver School Candidate

I also just purchased an HS and after just one week I love, I love it. Traded my 2005 Prius that was a great car but my Lexus GS 400 just sits in the garage waiting for gas prices to drop so off I went shopping for a larger Hybrid to replace my GS. Like you I got around 35 on my first tank and that meets all my requirements so good bye to my trusty old GS. I too am from Seattle but down in Southern Calif where I purchased my HS and got it certified by Lexus so nice long warranty. Always drove nice cars before the GS was an LS so Lexus runs in my blood. Done the MB thing but not as nice as Lexus. I am originally from the UK so Triumph and MG's are also part of my background. I now live in Puyallup and if you are near by I would love to meet up and have a cup of tea, sorry Coffee. LOL

Last edited by Mike4puy; 03-11-13 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-12-13, 08:59 AM
toomeypj
Rookie

Mike4puy,
I just sent you a PM.
I thought of buying a Certified Pre-Owned but the same car I bought was $6000 more at a dealer. I have about 8 months left in the warranty (or about 12,000 miles, but I won't use it up). My plan is to run this car until the ES300h is available used after a few years. Right now we are enjoying the HS250h immensely!
Old 03-18-13, 03:05 PM
Mike4puy
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure if I paid a premium for my car but probably was not too much more and the knowledge that I now have five years trouble free years bumper to bumper and that is giving me piece of mind as they are loaded to the hilt and any little thing could run up a big bill very quickly. Still very pleased with the car and mid thirties MPG seems normal at this time. I have a 1998 GS 400 in my garage back home that will be up for sale when I get back although I love that car but a V8 doesn't make much sence these days. I must say cars in California are a lot cheaper than the same car in Washington State. Will post more info on the car maybe six months down the road unless I have a major problem. By the way this is my third Lexus and just love this brand, well done Lexus.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New owner has comments and questions