HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Cold weather, hilly gas-mileage tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-13, 06:24 AM
mjlenell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold weather, hilly gas-mileage tips?

We didn't realize just how hilly and cold our area is until we tried to get good mileage. It takes about two miles of crappy mileage before the car even thinks about doing something economical. I have a five-mile commute with many, many small rolling hills between home and work with lots of stop signs and lights that have been limiting our mileage to an average of 31.2 mpg which is up from an average of 29.2 when the average temperature was less than 20 F.

Any recommendations about how to make this better? We feather the gas pedal, know how to kick in the engine-free cruising, etc. once the car warms up. What we need are ideas on how to improve the mileage before the car warms up. By the way, most of the stop signs are in valleys and almost none are on peaks, work is in the center of an urban metropolitan city, and there is always a lot of traffic that threatens to hurt and maim us for driving at or under the speed limit (lots of gestures and more than our share of tailgating and honking). Because of that, there is no route to take that allows us to stay out of power mode completely (the car won't climb most hills in any green zone: I tried valiantly only to have the car stop mid-slope on more than one occasion at the top of light-green.)

So to rehash: lots of angry traffic, 5 miles to work, damn cold, unavoidable hills, poorly placed stop signs and lights in valleys, 31.2 average mileage. Need recommendations other than take the bike which I already do when it is over 45 F and isn't raining.

Thanks!
Old 02-16-13, 10:17 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's tough to learn the car, isn't it? But only 5 miles to work? I'm afraid you don't have any options that I can think of. 5 miles in the cold is just not enough time to let the ICE warm to the point of being able to Pulse and Glide the car. I live in Western PA, and I guaranty it's way more hilly here, and I never average less than 40 or 41, but I have at least 18 miles to work.

Maybe try to learn to drive it out of Power Mode, and the engine will shut down when it is still fairly cool, around 118deg. F.

Another tip might be to get yourself a Scan Gauge or an UltraGauge so you can more closely monitor engine temp. and the like.

Another tip is try some grill blocking. If you search, I think I might have started a thread about that, and the Prius people are way into that in the colder climates. It helps a lot because the engine temp. drops real fast when you are running on battery in the cold.

The last tip is try to keep it in the first green band, as you know, and keep the MFD on "instant MPG's". That will help you know when the ICE shuts off and you can Glide. When it stays at "90"+ and you have you needle into the first green band, the ICE is off.

If you find the ICE is not shutting off, and it's warm enough, the only thing you can do, regardless of what the speed limit is, is take it up to 40 mph and lift completely off the gas. The ICE will shut down then, keep it in the first green band, and then glide as far as possible while watching the MFD stay at 90+ MPG.

The computer has a mind of it own, and sometimes it's out of it's mind.

Better software is what makes the Toyota Camry Hybrid with a bigger 2.5 engine get better mileage.

A software update for the HS is all that's needed to get better mileage. I just wish Lexus didn't just abandon us like they did.

Their turn is coming though. I plan on abandoning them for my next car purchase in the future.
Old 02-17-13, 08:10 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An engine block heater would help. It's a standard feature on cars sold in the Canadian prairie provinces.
Old 02-17-13, 12:23 PM
DDS62
Driver

I don't think your mileage is out of line. I know you have seen mileage reported that is much more, but you can't always believe it. My mileage runs from 27 to 39 mpg. I get 27 when I am driving in a hurry around hilly Cincinnati and step on the gas and brake peddle without concern for efficiency. I get 39 on the open road while trying my best to "up" the mileage. Over a two year period I have averaged right around 34 mpg. My best mileage comes in the winter. I keep my car in a heated garage and I believe cabin heat is still free in the HS. My worst mileage comes in the summer when I have to use the AC. There are many tricks like the pulse and glide that Airman mentioned. Do a search here using "hypermiller". Be prepared for reported mileage that seems a little off the charts. I would believe mileage in the low 40's but not much above that. But I really don't know.
Old 02-17-13, 04:26 PM
TonyHS
Driver

mjlenell, sounds about right. Having previously lived in a cold climate I suffered at least a 10% MPG loss in the winters, before going to a prius when I drove a 15-20 MPG car the loss was not very noticable, going to a 50 MPG car made it much easier to notice. Lots of short trips would take even a harder hit on MPG. But keeping it warm in a garage, plugging it in, blocking front airflow are all things that can help. I lived in flat lands, so I only suffered the loss of the cold, however keep in mind, no matter how bad your milage is, it would most likely be worse in a non hybrid.