HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

TPMS - Where to Find?

Old 02-06-13, 02:18 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS - Where to Find?

I'm looking to purchase a set of TPMS for my 2010 HS 250h and wondering if anyone had any suggestions of where to look? Are there other Lexus models that use our TPMS?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-13, 01:35 PM
skywise
Rookie

The TPMS system in the HS is a bit different than other lexus/Toyota cars.
If you look at this list: http://www.tiresensorsusa.com/lexus.html
You'll see the HS has a different part number.
Schrader's EZ sensor (http://www.ez-sensor.com/ )is supposed to be a cloneable TPM sensor but while they can program it to a unique code, they can't clone existing sensors on the car.
x-tra seal TPMS are also supposed to clone (http://www.31inc.com/tpms) and these are the ones I'm trying to use now but noone in town has the programmer and now they're locked inside my winter tires so I'm going to wait until spring before I try again to sort them out.

If you're looking for a second set for winter tires, the answer is simple.
If you get Lexus sensors, you'll be getting your onboard ECU reprogramming twice a year when you change tires.
If you get cloneable sensors, they'll be exactly like the ones currently on the car and you won't need to change anything, just keep the off-car tires far enough away to keep things from getting confused. (although I'm guessing as soon as you leave the garage things will sort themselves out)
Old 02-07-13, 02:28 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Looking at getting aftermarket wheels and seeing if I could get a second set instead of taking them out of the OEM wheels.

The easiest way I suppose is to find a set from an HS. I don't believe you'd have to get them programmed as long as they fit the car.
Old 02-07-13, 02:34 PM
skywise
Rookie

No need to program the sensors themselves but you'll still have to tell the ECU that the TPMSs' have changed.
Old 02-07-13, 02:53 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

I've never experienced that on any other car. On my previous M3, I purchased a second hand set of same model year TPMS, put on the wheels/tires and had no indicator lights.
Old 02-10-13, 02:18 PM
skywise
Rookie

The car has to know which sensors belong to it.
The radio signal from them travels a ways, I can have the car in the back lane and it'll still read the sensors from the other end of the garage.
Programming varies from maker to maker. Some have a simple reset switch, others a rather complicated manual programming.
I read about a Buick that had one of those wave hands/bark at the moon sort of initiation and then you'd have to go around to each tire in a specific order to let air out/put air in so the car would know which tire was which. (it would honk/flash lights each time it acknowledged a sensor)
The HS has a tool that plugs into the OBDII port, you just tell the car the ID number of each sensor that belongs to the car.
I don't think the HS cares which tire is which, if one is low you have to figure which one it is yourself.
Old 02-14-13, 11:54 AM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Do you have to have the ECU reprogrammed at Lexus? How much do they typically charge if so?

I'm looking at getting new wheels/tires and don't want to have to take the OEM ones out so that I can easily return it to stock if/when I sell.
Old 02-14-13, 06:06 PM
skywise
Rookie

I think it can be done elsewhere, tireshops N such.
I'm not sure what Lexus charges, I'd suggest you call around, see if the local tire shop has the right machine.
(could be the place you get your new tires mounted/balanced will have what you need and will just throw it in for the same price)
Old 02-16-13, 10:31 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ro_Ja Boy
I've never experienced that on any other car. On my previous M3, I purchased a second hand set of same model year TPMS, put on the wheels/tires and had no indicator lights.

Another M3 owner.

You'd be surprised how many M3 owners have "slowed down" a bit and now drive a HS.

I've had two. Now I have the HS, and I like it just as much.

It's a whole new way of driving.
Old 03-05-13, 11:00 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Anyone have a set laying around? I found them online for $60 each but will put the oems from the car in before i spend $240 on a second set. Thanks
Old 03-06-13, 03:02 PM
NVMYHS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure why everyone continues to think you have to program the TPMS. I change my tires during the winter as well and I just take off one set off and put the other set on. No reprograming or going to the dealer. It's a very simple sensor, nothing fancy or programmable. I mean, every vehicle has them these days!
Old 03-06-13, 03:18 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

Didn't think so. Now just need to find an extra set of TPMS so that I dont have to pull them from my stock wheels/tires in case I go back to them before selling the car. Where'd you get yours?

Your name looks familiar too...s2ki?
Old 03-16-13, 05:09 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NVMYHS
Not sure why everyone continues to think you have to program the TPMS. I change my tires during the winter as well and I just take off one set off and put the other set on. No reprograming or going to the dealer. It's a very simple sensor, nothing fancy or programmable. I mean, every vehicle has them these days!

Sure ya do. You said it. "every vehicle has them these days".

Think about it. If your sensors are not programmed to your vehicle, you could pull up close to another car in traffic, with a low tire, and set off his low tire light on his dash. Or he could do the same to you.

Those transmitters in the wheels transmit at least 10 feet.

When I put my snows on the other car, without TPMS in them, my light goes on after a few miles of driving. Until I pull back into the garage near the stack of summer tires in the front of the garage. That turns off my light until the daily cycle starts again.
Old 03-18-13, 04:11 PM
NVMYHS
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Sure ya do. You said it. "every vehicle has them these days".

Think about it. If your sensors are not programmed to your vehicle, you could pull up close to another car in traffic, with a low tire, and set off his low tire light on his dash. Or he could do the same to you.

Those transmitters in the wheels transmit at least 10 feet.

When I put my snows on the other car, without TPMS in them, my light goes on after a few miles of driving. Until I pull back into the garage near the stack of summer tires in the front of the garage. That turns off my light until the daily cycle starts again.
Yep, you're right...I've got nothing better to do than come on here and lie about my TPMS. For the last time, no programming required for your TPMS!

If programming were required, there would be a note on that part from the Lexus which states "This part requries dealer programming"...but there is no such note.

If one breaks, you can order another one from Lexus, have it installed by ANY tire shop, put your tire back on your car, and it will work without any programming. I just think your dealer is charging you for something they aren't doing!
Old 03-18-13, 04:24 PM
Ro_Ja Boy
Rookie

I'm not sure that's true. There has to be some programming whether done by the dealership or not. On the M3, you held down the tpms button (if you have idrive you go into the system) and the car essentially reprograms the TPMS to themselves. If there's a button in the HS, I haven't seen it. Somehow it needs to be reset to the TPMS that are specifically on the car.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPMS - Where to Find?