HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

What would you do if the dealer says " We can't sell your Hs250 and we sugest take it

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 03:11 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do if the dealer says " We can't sell your Hs250 and we sugest take it

My wife and I looked at a new Lexus 350 yesterday. The dealer said - The best thing you could do is take your Lexus to Car Max because we have no idea when they can find a fix to the recall as a matter of fact we can't even use these cars for service!
You could sell this on your own also and don't be afraid because there is a L at the beginning of the name LEXUS!
In my 50 years of owning any car I have NEVER had a dealer say this to me. I am debating to call Lexus customer service - But do I really want another Lexus? Just really discussed!
Looking for advise so please respond!
Thanks . James

Last edited by JamesDemo; 09-03-12 at 03:25 AM.
Old 09-02-12, 03:27 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Thumbs down Lexus Dealer said " We can't sell your HS250" Take it to:

Went looking at a new Lexus yesterday and the dealer said " We can't sell your car because there is a recall on it, and as am matter of fact we can't even use these cars for service! We have no idea how long there will be for a fix. So the best thing you can do is take your car to Car Max because they are not a dealer and have no obligation to tell people that!

As a matter of fact we sold some a new car last night and that is what the person did!
Don't be afraid to sell the car your self because it has a "L" in front of it's name.
But the real question is " Do I want another Lexus? Any suggestions on how to handel a situations like this? In my 50 years of owning cars this is a first.

One thing I agree with the dealer is , The L in the front of the name but does it stand for LEMON!

What with you do?
Thanks James

Last edited by JamesDemo; 09-02-12 at 06:08 AM.
Old 09-02-12, 06:22 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

What recall are you talking about?

Rear suspension? The fix for that one is simple - the guy doing the alignment has to tighten bolts to specifications.

Fuel leakage during rear impact and rollover - Slight modification to the fuel filler tube, readily available at any dealer.

Brakes don't feel right - free software update at the dealer...

Those are the only recalls in the NHTSA database that I see - is there one I am missing?

Perhaps you have a dumb salesperson... I don't know...
Old 09-02-12, 08:29 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Hi mitsugy
Thanks for responding; The head of the dealership came over to the table with the sales person and I was asking about trading in and how much was my car worth. I was in the process of a special order of some equipment on the new 2013 ES 350 HB. I wanted the heads up display and he said it is NOT available even on special orders. I then said OK what is my car worth on the trade without it. That's when he said there is a problem because they have NOT resolved the recall problem and do not have a fix - until they do we can not sell or even use any HS250 even as service vehicles .
After seeing your post I will be calling Lexus customer care first thing on Tuesday to see what the story is. But I must say it has left a very bad feeling if true. On "What's my car worth - He handed me a KBB print out! NOT GOOD!
James
Old 09-02-12, 08:59 AM
wickedsc3
Driver

This is not just a Lexus problem, it happens with other brands to so I would not get to worked up about it. You got to look at it from the dealers perspective they would be buying a car that they cannot sell until there is a fix, so it would be taking up a space on their lot that could be occupied by a car they could sell. I personally think the dealership sounds like a good one, i'm glad they would not just take a car with a recall and sell it without telling the new buyer.

You first need to find out what the recall is and if there really is no fix yet. You should have just asked that manager what the recall was when he said it.
Then your options are either wait for a fix or sell it yourself. Personally I would just sell it myself as you are going to get more than what the trade in value is. And since you will be waiting for a fix you might as well have the car up for sale and maybe get a buyer.
Old 09-02-12, 12:43 PM
DDS62
Driver

I don't know of any recalls outstanding on the HS either, but I do know the public and especially HS owners are beginning to become aware that the overpriced cars they purchased have been severely devalued. That happens when a company Edsels a model. Ford found out the hard way 50 years ago. Lexus took the elitists attitude they were above reproach - they are finding out they are not! Other dealers, in general, will resist taking any Lexus on trade unless the customer will accept a low trade value because Lexus has a reputation of being very costly to maintain and few competing dealerships will service them and independent service facilities are not capable of servicing them properly. Many competing dealerships will not take the HS in trade at all. I say these things because it may very well be this Lexus dealership simply doesn't want to take it's own brand on trade. This is not the case, however, at other dealerships.

Lexus is doing everything they can to cover up this, yet another, self inflicted wound by sending out mailers to HS owners, with propaganda claiming they need More HS's for used cars and will offer very attractive trade in values on a new Lexus. I got one a week ago. And in fact they do seem to be offering tolerable trade in values, but certainly not attractive ones. I assume they are trying to keep their customers as happy as possible.
Old 09-02-12, 09:48 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DDS62
I don't know of any recalls outstanding on the HS either, but I do know the public and especially HS owners are beginning to become aware that the overpriced cars they purchased have been severely devalued. That happens when a company Edsels a model. Ford found out the hard way 50 years ago. Lexus took the elitists attitude they were above reproach - they are finding out they are not! Other dealers, in general, will resist taking any Lexus on trade unless the customer will accept a low trade value because Lexus has a reputation of being very costly to maintain and few competing dealerships will service them and independent service facilities are not capable of servicing them properly. Many competing dealerships will not take the HS in trade at all. I say these things because it may very well be this Lexus dealership simply doesn't want to take it's own brand on trade. This is not the case, however, at other dealerships.

Lexus is doing everything they can to cover up this, yet another, self inflicted wound by sending out mailers to HS owners, with propaganda claiming they need More HS's for used cars and will offer very attractive trade in values on a new Lexus. I got one a week ago. And in fact they do seem to be offering tolerable trade in values, but certainly not attractive ones. I assume they are trying to keep their customers as happy as possible.
Too late on trying to keep their customers happy. My last one.

Went to look at the ES-h also. It gets a little better mileage, but it runs on premium, so the overall cost to operate it would be more.

Once again I was treated poorly by snobby salesmen in a so-so dealership building. Nothing has changed about the way Lexus does business in the year that I owned one.

Too many luxury car manufactures are advancing faster in the way they do business, and the type and quality of cars they sell than Lexus.

If they want to treat me like a leper, I'll answer with my wallet. Hear that corporate?
Old 09-04-12, 06:24 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

Unhappy There is another recall

Rear suspension? The fix for that one is simple - the guy doing the alignment has to tighten bolts to specifications :

True but customer service says " official fix not posted yet " But as telling you take your car to "Car Max" someone higher up will be contacting you because THIS IS NOT OUR POLICY!

Will keep you posted on if they do anything!

Old 09-04-12, 06:30 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

Originally Posted by TheAirman
but it runs on premium, so the overall cost to operate it would be more.
The ES300h gets 5mpg better, and it does not require premium fuel. Cheaper to operate than the HS.

The reason they told you to go to Carmax, is because there is no reason to buy a HS over the ES300h. They don't want an HS sitting on their lot for 3 months, and eventually go to auction where it will do poorly.
Old 09-04-12, 08:05 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they probably don't want to take a car that will have a hard time selling. my local dealer have 11 used HS that's been there for ages.
Old 09-04-12, 08:22 AM
ceads9
Driver

I will worry about it in 4-5 years . Cars change all the time ,they don't make my old Infiniti I35 anymore and it still had trade value since it was paid for, cars change all the time. I love the HS and all the great options it has. Good mpg, nice ride, looks good,cheaper than the ES . My taxes are cheaper and I owe less. Would I love to have an ES yes , but there are lots of other cars too. I can't change cars ever week a new one comes out. Like I said I'm happy and that's all that matters to me. I will worry about trade in value in anew years. Still love having the only one in my town. When I went on our family vacation , in 2k miles only saw two others. That was great!. While in KC last month, while at a mall I went down the car rows and there must have been an ES and or A RS in every row. Not for me ,

Last edited by ceads9; 09-04-12 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-04-12, 02:38 PM
DDS62
Driver

Originally Posted by kyo7878
they probably don't want to take a car that will have a hard time selling. my local dealer have 11 used HS that's been there for ages.
kyo7878, what is the name and location of your dealership? I want to see what price theyn are asking for those HS's. Thanks
Old 09-04-12, 06:25 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesDemo
Rear suspension? The fix for that one is simple - the guy doing the alignment has to tighten bolts to specifications :

True but customer service says " official fix not posted yet " But as telling you take your car to "Car Max" someone higher up will be contacting you because THIS IS NOT OUR POLICY!

Will keep you posted on if they do anything!

That is odd... on the NHTSA website, here is the recall info:

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):
LEXUS / HS 250 HYBRID 2010
TOYOTA / RAV4 2006-2011
NHTSA Campaign ID Number: 12V373000

Summary:
Toyota is recalling certain model year 2006 through 2011 RAV4 and 2010 Lexus HS250h passenger vehicles manufactured from October 2005 through September 2010. If the nuts for adjusting the rear wheel alignment are improperly tightened during service, the rear suspension arm (rear tie rod) may develop unwanted movement and rust, leading to thread damage and eventual failure. Failure of the rear tie rod will cause an abrupt change in the vehicle's alignment.

Consequence:
Failure of the rear tie rod could cause a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy:
Toyota will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the rear tie-rod nut for looseness and replace any suspect tie-rod found loose. Dealers will also affix instructions in multiple places to prevent improper servicing in the future. Owners may contact Toyota at 1-800-331-4331 or Lexus at 1-800-255-3987.
Notes:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

and then, here is Toyota's word on it, which basically says the same thing, but also says that a remedy hasn't been finalized... seems like a big deal to make of a problem that can happen on ~ANY~ car that is not aligned properly...

Toyota has determined that if the nuts on the rear suspension arm are not tightened following the proper procedure and torque specification during a rear wheel alignment service, excessive play may occur at the threaded portion of the arm, followed by rust formation. If this were to occur, the threaded portion of the rear suspension arm may wear and cause the arm to separate.

Toyota is currently developing a remedy. Once the remedy is available, we will send a notification letter by first class mail advising owners to make an appointment with an authorized Toyota or Lexus dealer to have the remedy performed at no charge.

Last edited by mitsuguy; 09-04-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-06-12, 09:25 AM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDS62
kyo7878, what is the name and location of your dealership? I want to see what price theyn are asking for those HS's. Thanks
here is the link to my local dealer used HS http://www.lexusofaustin.com/Vehicle...nventoryWidget

it's the only lexus dealer in Austin, their price is never competitive

Last edited by kyo7878; 09-06-12 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-06-12, 10:52 AM
NoLFA4U
Driver

We took in an HS250 yesterday. Plenty of Lexus dealers out there, who aren't full of it.

Quick Reply: What would you do if the dealer says " We can't sell your Hs250 and we sugest take it