HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-12, 02:02 PM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Newbie

Hi all, just signed up with forum. Purchased 2010 250h for the wife.

First question: How do you reset cruising distance when filling gas tank? I have filled tank 2 times, the first time (few gallons) gave me estimated cruising distance of 477 miles, next time I filled (just a few gallons again) cruising distance was only at 370 miles.

I purchased car without owners manual, so I need forum to help me till manuals arrive.

Thx. beavlexus
Old 02-08-12, 05:42 AM
sublexus
Rookie

Hi beavlexus and welcome to the forum.

If you are talking about the Distance to Empty (DTE) readout, we've never had to reset ours. I've always thought of it as a continuing calculation based on the amount of fuel in the tank. Can you be more specific?
Old 02-08-12, 12:52 PM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Yes...That is what I mean, but why did it read out estimated distance of 477 miles one time then after second refill it read out estimated distance of only 370? Can't figure out the difference when both were fill with regular, etc.

thx
Old 02-08-12, 01:16 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm! As sublexus said, the system calculates it based upon how many mpgs the car has been getting in past. It should not be showing 370 if you topped it up. Are you sure that you filled it fully? Sometimes, due to back pressure in the tank, the filling nozzle can trip incorrectly giving you a false sense that you've topped it up. Try to fill it up again and see what happens.

Last edited by rajeev6; 02-08-12 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-08-12, 02:22 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome aboard!
Old 02-08-12, 02:44 PM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rajeev6
Hmm! As sublexus said, the system calculates it based upon how many mpgs the car has been getting in past. It should not be showing 370 if you topped it up. Are you sure that you filled it fully? Sometimes, due to back pressure in the tank, the filling nozzle can trip incorrectly giving you a false sense that you've topped it up. Try to fill it up again and see what happens.
Thanks, I will...Unfortunately Oregon is a non self-serve state, just have to take what service man gives you. I bought the car in Aberdeen, WA, drove back to Oregon, got over 33 miles average (not bad for first time)!! So, I think everything is working properly, just puzzled with "cruising distance" issue.

Next fill will be when tank is closer to empty!

Thx. BL
Old 02-12-12, 04:22 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yup, this sound like a good answer.

It also uses the fuel tank sender to help calculate how much your cruising range should be. That and the average miles per gallon you are currently getting. That's why on page 175 of the manual, it says that the system might not be updated if you only add a small amount of fuel to the tank.

Sounds like your gas man didn't give you a full fill-up. Because mine is showing a cruising range of 345 miles right now, and I am in between full and 3/4 of a tank. So 370 sound about right for your needle to show about full.

PS. Welcome to the forum, and you'll do much better than 33 mpg's after you get the hang of it !!
Old 02-13-12, 01:32 AM
noku
Driver

I thought the miles to empty reading is determined by using the latest mpg since your last fill and multiplying that by the amount of gas left in tank. This is just an assumption on my part with nothing to back it up.
Old 02-13-12, 08:15 AM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by noku
I thought the miles to empty reading is determined by using the latest mpg since your last fill and multiplying that by the amount of gas left in tank. This is just an assumption on my part with nothing to back it up.
Let me ask all you longtime 250h owners, what kind of cruising distance miles do you get after filling up? Like I said, I got 477miles the first time then 370 the next time...I hope you all get 477 or better!!

thx.
Old 02-13-12, 10:05 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Default Crusing distance after full tank fillup

On average, I get around 488 - when stars are aligned . That's when I'm getting around 38-39 miles/gallon. Unfortunately due to cold weather these days in the northeast, I'm getting 36 only.
For you in Oregon, with temp between 40 and 50F during daytime, you should be able to get 35-36 even though the car is new to you. Please search the forum for tips on getting higher mileage (if you haven't already )
Old 02-13-12, 01:21 PM
beavlexus
Driver School Candidate

Cool

On average, I get around 488 - when stars are aligned . That's when I'm getting around 38-39 miles/gallon. Unfortunately due to cold weather these days in the northeast, I'm getting 36 only.
For you in Oregon, with temp between 40 and 50F during daytime, you should be able to get 35-36 even though the car is new to you. Please search the forum for tips on getting higher mileage (if you haven't already )
Thx Rajeev6...We went for a cruise last to get an ice cream cone, I noticed after 3 or 4 miles to Dairy Queen and waiting in line, at drive thru, the EV button was "not yet available". What is the cause? Cold motor or battery not fully charged?

Can't wait to pick up my manuals...On order from Lexus of Portland!

Thx all.
Old 02-13-12, 04:49 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beavlexus
Thx Rajeev6...We went for a cruise last to get an ice cream cone, I noticed after 3 or 4 miles to Dairy Queen and waiting in line, at drive thru, the EV button was "not yet available". What is the cause? Cold motor or battery not fully charged?

Can't wait to pick up my manuals...On order from Lexus of Portland!

Thx all.
To answer your question.... Yup, and Yup. Like rajeev6 said, "when stars are aligned". And welcome to the beginners hypermiler club! You're starting to figure out that there is just a little more to understand about this car that just to get in and drive. And with a little practice, you'll get WAY over EPA mileage estimates.

My advice is to read this forum, especially from the beginning. There's lots of great info pages back that will give you insight on how to pull big mileage out of your HS with no problem. Do a search on hypermiling, and pay special attention to the Prius and Camry hybrid. Their operation is similar, but do to the HS's rarity, it hard to find specific information about it.

I have found ( and I am just learning, as you) that EV mode doesn't always yield the best results. Always pay a close eye on that hybrid meter. It's one of the keys to learning to drive your car. But the only thing so far that I can figure about EV mode is, it allows you to accelerate up to 25 mph by going outside of the first green band on your hybrid meter, without the internal combustion engine (ICE) starting. But if you leave it in ECO mode, you can accelerate all the way up to about 40mph without the ICE starting if you do not go outside the first green band on the hybrid meter. The second your needle touches that second green band, your ICE starts, regardless of speed. There's your key !! But in EV mode, hit 25, and the ICE starts.

In short order, you'll figure out when EV will work for you, but in the beginning, ECO is better. Just try to keep it in the first green band as much as traffic will allow. Here's how it works for me, for example:

On the last part of my drive to work, going into the parking lot at work, there is a steep hill. But it's flat all the way up to that hill. So, if there is nobody on my bumper, late for work, I just leave it in ECO mode and accelerate up as high as I need (less than 40), by keeping the needle in the first green band, BUT as soon as I hit that hill, The car doesn't have the power to make the hill at any more than about 3 or 4 mph, and the ICE starts.

So what I do is, just before I hit that last hill, I slow to about 23 mph, hit the EV button, make sure it goes into EV mode, then I can gas it up the hill by keeping the needle outside of the POWER band just as long as I do not go more than about 24 mph, and the ICE never starts. I try to run my battery as low as possible at the ends of my drives. It will recharge naturally at the beginning of my drives.

But by contrast, going home it's flat all the way, so I stay in ECO, drive up to 39 or 40 mph, and run the battery low as I pull into the garage.

A little learning curve, and you'll be at near 40 mpg's and above in no time !!!!!!!!
Old 02-13-12, 04:50 PM
sublexus
Rookie

We've put over twenty thousand miles on our HS in thirteen months. I've kept count of every gallon of fuel used and our overall MPG for those miles is 37.8 (total miles divided by total fuel). The greatest distance we've gone on a tank of fuel is 494 miles. I really wanted 500, but we were on an interstate highway and the light had been on too long for my comfort. I usually refuel just under the quarter tank mark.
Old 02-13-12, 05:04 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sublexus
We've put over twenty thousand miles on our HS in thirteen months. I've kept count of every gallon of fuel used and our overall MPG for those miles is 37.8 (total miles divided by total fuel). The greatest distance we've gone on a tank of fuel is 494 miles. I really wanted 500, but we were on an interstate highway and the light had been on too long for my comfort. I usually refuel just under the quarter tank mark.
You'll get there !!! Another new hypermiler !!! Weclome !! There will be more of us as prices near $4.00 once again.

Read here for some great info on your new quest:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...mile-tank.html
Old 02-14-12, 09:56 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forum. This is one of the two best places to get info on the car. Lexus Drivers. com is also a good choice - it is a Lexus site - but it has some good video tutorials on how to use the goodies... (omit the spaces when going to the site or Google for it). Registration is free.

Quick Reply: Newbie