HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

HID lights on HS

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-12, 11:20 PM
smardav
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HID lights on HS

Just wondering if any of the HS sold in USA comes with HID light. I checked on lexus.com but they don't have the option to add HID to the car and my loaner didn't come with one too, which is kinda weird imo.
Old 01-20-12, 11:03 PM
homoonar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they use LEDSs headlamps nowadays.
the bulb type is H11
Old 01-21-12, 06:05 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by homoonar
they use LEDSs headlamps nowadays.
the bulb type is H11

No, the LED's are a hard to get, expensive option ordered from the factory only. They are, however, standard in Japan.

The factory American version bulb for the HS is a 9005. Just a common halogen bulb, that in my opinion is really lacking as so many DOT regulated headlight setups in America are nowdays.

If the OP wanted to use a HID H11 bulb, they would have to upgrade the system to HID.

At last check there were at least 30 pages of those setup for sale on ebay. But buy wisely, and don't cheap it out because some of those cheap Chinese HID setups are worse than than the factory setup.
Old 01-23-12, 08:11 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aftermarket HID

Yes - no HID factory option! Either LED or Halogen.
I upgraded mine with an aftermarket H11 kit - no issue at all - beam is still perfect due to the lens.
Old 01-23-12, 10:13 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I do not have the fancy headlights (wish I did - if they turned when I did, it would be great at night), but I will say the basic headlights are really bright. I have people flashing their lights at me to dim mine often - and I don't have the 'bright' lights on - and mine are aimed correctly. When I go to the bright lights it is very effective for straight ahead visibility.
Old 01-24-12, 12:57 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Default Aftermarket HID

RJQMAN - on your point of people flashing at you - I'm surprised.
Even with aftermarket HID, no one ever has flashed at me here - I've been driving with this for almost a year now.
Also, I do want to point out that the factory halogen is good but not as great as 5000k HID especially when you live in northeast, it's dark and its either raining or snowing which it is most of the times.
Old 01-24-12, 07:39 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

I can't explain why, but it happens a lot - probably 1 out of 5 times when driving at night, especially on lightly traveled 2 lane roads. On coming drivers seem to think I have my bright headlights on. But as I said, I would much prefer the ones that pivot when you turn, as my night vision is not that great anymore. I just could not get them. Which takes us back to the problem Lexus had selling the cars - the chicken/egg question hits again. If they had them, maybe they could have sold them. I guess we will never know for sure.
Old 02-07-12, 07:04 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
....... my night vision is not that great anymore.......
I couldn't agree more - I read it somewhere long time back that as you age you gradually lose peripheral vision. And one day I realized - gosh its happening to me! Ughh! I must have aged

I didn't do very accurate comparison with halogen when I was installing the HIDs, I felt that the beam was very similar (looking at the projection on my garage door). I now feel that may be its more lit in the center of the beam and less bright on the periphery. Oh well

Driving in dark, when I feel that I need more light on both sides (eg. when turning to dark side streets), I turn on my fog light - it spreads its beam more than headlights.
Old 02-12-12, 06:04 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rajeev6
I couldn't agree more - I read it somewhere long time back that as you age you gradually lose peripheral vision. And one day I realized - gosh its happening to me! Ughh! I must have aged

I didn't do very accurate comparison with halogen when I was installing the HIDs, I felt that the beam was very similar (looking at the projection on my garage door). I now feel that may be its more lit in the center of the beam and less bright on the periphery. Oh well

Driving in dark, when I feel that I need more light on both sides (eg. when turning to dark side streets), I turn on my fog light - it spreads its beam more than headlights.
Yeah, me too !! That's why I "upgraded" my fog light bulbs.

Actually I didn't increase the wattage, I just changed the color to a yellow 2500K bulb. It kinda define the edges a little more, especially on those nasty weather nights.

It takes a little time, and you have to remove the under body panels and jack up the front a little to remove the fog bulbs, but it was worth the time for me. I didn't completely remove the panels, just loosened them up enough to get my hands in there to the fog bulbs to replace them.

Here's a picture of the bulbs I used. They weren't cheap, I'll tell ya" !!! One is the new bulb, and one is the factory bulb.
Attached Thumbnails HID lights on HS-dsc02973-medium-.jpg  
Old 10-24-12, 08:02 AM
RXHybrid08
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Yeah, me too !! That's why I "upgraded" my fog light bulbs.

Actually I didn't increase the wattage, I just changed the color to a yellow 2500K bulb. It kinda define the edges a little more, especially on those nasty weather nights.

It takes a little time, and you have to remove the under body panels and jack up the front a little to remove the fog bulbs, but it was worth the time for me. I didn't completely remove the panels, just loosened them up enough to get my hands in there to the fog bulbs to replace them.

Here's a picture of the bulbs I used. They weren't cheap, I'll tell ya" !!! One is the new bulb, and one is the factory bulb.
Did you get to the fog lights from under the car or the covers by the wheels? I am hoping not to remove so many bolts but may be necessary. How long did it take you?
Old 10-28-12, 02:19 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXHybrid08
Did you get to the fog lights from under the car or the covers by the wheels? I am hoping not to remove so many bolts but may be necessary. How long did it take you?
Sorry for the late reply, but the job was kind of a pain. The reason was because I did not remove the under body panels all the way. I just removed enough screws to see in there and move the panels enough to get my arm in there. It really wasn't that bad other than that part.