HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Color of 2010 HS250H Front Grille

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 08:11 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color of 2010 HS250H Front Grille

I have a 2011 and changed my front grille color to black. A friend said he saw another HS250H that had a black grille, and I wondered if the 2010 grille was originally black or if it was the brighter beige color. Just curious. Could someone with a 2010 model let me know? Thanks.
Old 01-12-12, 01:03 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've Sapphire Pearl (Dark Blue Black) 2010 and the grille is grey.
Old 01-12-12, 07:36 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-14-12, 02:23 AM
noku
Driver

May I ask what material did you use to blacken the grille's color? Also is a pic available?

I also find the grey grille distasteful and wished it was made with the looks similar to the '13 GS, where the slots are narrower and all black. That big blue L emblem can go too. It makes the front tri-color, quad if count the black (I have aurora white). Other than this I like the looks and everything else about the car.

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/gallery...ery_data/9.jpg

Last edited by noku; 01-15-12 at 10:19 AM. Reason: add photo
Old 01-17-12, 09:29 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
May I ask what material did you use to blacken the grille's color? Also is a pic available?

I also find the grey grille distasteful and wished it was made with the looks similar to the '13 GS, where the slots are narrower and all black. That big blue L emblem can go too. It makes the front tri-color, quad if count the black (I have aurora white). Other than this I like the looks and everything else about the car.

http://www.lexus.com/GS-2013/gallery...ery_data/9.jpg
I used 3m Vinyl paper designed for automotive use. I had a company in Dallas Texas called Skinzwraps (I ended up having their Miami branch guy do it - I had to go to Florida before they could fit it into their schedule in Dallas) that specialized in applying the vinyl come out and put it on my grille. It is not hard to do if you are handy, but it takes some skill to keep the air bubbles out and make it look perfect. I am glad I did not attempt to do it myself - the guy who put it on did a great job in about 30 - 45 minutes with a heat gun and a razor knife and some adhesive.

I have pictures, but I am not sure how to post them in the forum. I will try to figure that out and show you one. Lexus said to not change the grille in their user manuals, and I was a bit concerned that I would screw something up. But I studied the car, and realized that the lane keep assist is entirely controlled from a camera by the rear view mirror, and the radar cruise control shoots the radar signal through the blue Lexus logo in the front - so if you have these features in the car, just be careful to insure that the vinyl does not impinge on the hole behind the logo where the radar shoots through. You really cannot change out that Lexus logo - it is an odd size, and if you have radar cruise control, then it has to be transparent to the radar signal - best leave it as is. I wanted to change it out too, until I understood that I would be getting into a mess if I changed it.

What I like about the black grille is that the sharp points of chrome now stand out more, giving an edgier appearance to the front of the car. I think it needed something like that.

One other thought - I chose a matt finish. If I had it to do over, I would use a higher gloss finish than the one I selected. My car is black, and I think it would be a bit better yet if it was slightly more glossy.

Best of luck with changing the grille - it is worth doing, I believe, and will give your car a unique look.
Old 01-17-12, 09:47 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Someone else on the forum pointed out that you could purchase a black plastic grille in Japan made to fit the HS250H. I do not know the currency conversion. To me, after seeing taking apart some of the front of the car and observing how the grille is attached, I think that the plastic wrap approach I took is better. However, here is a link to a Japanese version of e-bay showing the plastic grille on a white car.

http://www.easyauctionjapan.com/prod...tId=j128288638
Old 01-22-12, 06:18 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Japanese grill costs $466.00 US after the conversion from Yen. That doesn't include shipping and the handling costs to buy it through Yahoo Japan.

WOW !! $$$
Old 01-24-12, 11:15 PM
noku
Driver

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I used 3m Vinyl paper designed for automotive use. I had a company in Dallas Texas called Skinzwraps (I ended up having their Miami branch guy do it - I had to go to Florida before they could fit it into their schedule in Dallas) that specialized in applying the vinyl come out and put it on my grille. It is not hard to do if you are handy, but it takes some skill to keep the air bubbles out and make it look perfect. I am glad I did not attempt to do it myself - the guy who put it on did a great job in about 30 - 45 minutes with a heat gun and a razor knife and some adhesive.

I have pictures, but I am not sure how to post them in the forum. I will try to figure that out and show you one. Lexus said to not change the grille in their user manuals, and I was a bit concerned that I would screw something up. But I studied the car, and realized that the lane keep assist is entirely controlled from a camera by the rear view mirror, and the radar cruise control shoots the radar signal through the blue Lexus logo in the front - so if you have these features in the car, just be careful to insure that the vinyl does not impinge on the hole behind the logo where the radar shoots through. You really cannot change out that Lexus logo - it is an odd size, and if you have radar cruise control, then it has to be transparent to the radar signal - best leave it as is. I wanted to change it out too, until I understood that I would be getting into a mess if I changed it.

What I like about the black grille is that the sharp points of chrome now stand out more, giving an edgier appearance to the front of the car. I think it needed something like that.

One other thought - I chose a matt finish. If I had it to do over, I would use a higher gloss finish than the one I selected. My car is black, and I think it would be a bit better yet if it was slightly more glossy.

Best of luck with changing the grille - it is worth doing, I believe, and will give your car a unique look.
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find out exactly what product you purchased at the 3M site but find it difficult to say the least. Is there a product name, model number that can give me a clue? Is there any warranty offered and what was the total price you paid? It may be unavailable here in Hawaii as often the case is so this might be all moot.

I don't have the lane assist nor the laser cruise control on my car so as an alternative I was just thinking of removing the grille and taking it to an auto body shop to have it repainted. But it would be prone to chipping from road debris although it doesn't have any yet. I might just apply a clear film over the repainted surface. Is that vinyl paper like a protective film and if it is, then how thick is it?

Thanks again, for all your help.
Old 01-24-12, 11:19 PM
noku
Driver

Originally Posted by TheAirman
The Japanese grill costs $466.00 US after the conversion from Yen. That doesn't include shipping and the handling costs to buy it through Yahoo Japan.

WOW !! $$$
Too pricey for me, especially for a piece of plastic.
Old 01-25-12, 09:22 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by noku
Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find out exactly what product you purchased at the 3M site but find it difficult to say the least. Is there a product name, model number that can give me a clue? Is there any warranty offered and what was the total price you paid? It may be unavailable here in Hawaii as often the case is so this might be all moot.

I don't have the lane assist nor the laser cruise control on my car so as an alternative I was just thinking of removing the grille and taking it to an auto body shop to have it repainted. But it would be prone to chipping from road debris although it doesn't have any yet. I might just apply a clear film over the repainted surface. Is that vinyl paper like a protective film and if it is, then how thick is it?

Thanks again, for all your help.
Hi. I let the people at Skinzwraps pick the product. It just looked like a roll of black plastic - almost like garbage bags in color, but in a roll about 24" wide or so. The installer unrolled enough of it to cover one end of the grille to the other, and installed it without removing the grille. He used a razor blade to cut it, and he heated it slightly with a torch to make it stay - I think he had a spray adhesive, but I just did not pay real close attention to what he was doing. I thought I would make him a bit nervous by looking over his shoulder. I do not have any more info BUT I am in the process of purchasing my second HS250H next week (a used one), and plan to do the same thing. I will be more specific, and hopefully in about 2 weeks or so I can answer your question in more detail.
Old 02-26-12, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
Someone else on the forum pointed out that you could purchase a black plastic grille in Japan made to fit the HS250H. I do not know the currency conversion. To me, after seeing taking apart some of the front of the car and observing how the grille is attached, I think that the plastic wrap approach I took is better. However, here is a link to a Japanese version of e-bay showing the plastic grille on a white car.

http://www.easyauctionjapan.com/prod...tId=j128288638
Thanks wasn't aware of this.