HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

No more 250h for the US

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 07:54 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No more 250h for the US

I got an e-mail today from the man that sold me my 250h a couple of weeks ago. He said they were notified today that Lexus will no longer import the HS250H to the US - it will only be available in Europe and the far east. I am not surprised - just disappointed. This guy is pretty accurate, and I strongly suspect he is correct. Cannot prove it though. Glad I got mine while I could.
Old 10-18-11, 11:03 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

That's ashame. All Lexus had to do was restyle it...
Old 10-19-11, 02:35 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Too bad if it's correct.

Kind of makes sense if an ES3xx hybrid is coming out next year.

It makes my choices for my next vehicle a bit more interesting.
Old 10-19-11, 04:29 AM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I got an e-mail today from the man that sold me my 250h a couple of weeks ago. He said they were notified today that Lexus will no longer import the HS250H to the US - it will only be available in Europe and the far east. I am not surprised - just disappointed. This guy is pretty accurate, and I strongly suspect he is correct. Cannot prove it though. Glad I got mine while I could.
Interesting. Any more info about this would be appreciated. Did he site his sources?

They only sold "hundreds" of the HS over the past two years. I wonder if that will increase or decrease the resale value due to the rarity?
Old 10-19-11, 09:32 AM
Trexus

Originally Posted by TheAirman
They only sold "hundreds" of the HS over the past two years. I wonder if that will increase or decrease the resale value due to the rarity?
In actuality Lexus sold in the U.S. the HS 250h as follows:

2009 - 6,699
2010 - 10,663
Jan - Sep 2011 - 2,178

Outside the U.S. most likely the numbers are doubled to about 39,000 units sold since 2009.
Old 10-19-11, 10:47 AM
Alucard
Pole Position

I like the HS.

It just seemed to get too pricey for what it was when optioned out.
Old 10-19-11, 11:02 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
how will they continue to sell it in Europe, when they dont sell it at all in europe

:-).
Old 10-19-11, 11:06 AM
DDS62
Driver

Just spoke to the top (and most senior) sales person at Lexus River Center- the person that makes many of their sales videos. He said he knows nothing this. However it may be something that has not yet reached his attention. He will be in a regional meeting on Thursday and he will let me know on Friday or Saturday if it is true. He said the demand for the HS is high and it would surprise him, but it could happen.
Old 10-19-11, 11:10 AM
Trexus

Lexus could focus more on selling the HS in China since it is the largest car market in the world and with over 1billion people that's alot of opportunity to sell lots of cars there...
Old 10-19-11, 11:42 AM
DDS62
Driver

That is my suspicion also (if true). Such a decision would result because of a supply side problem, not demand.
Old 10-19-11, 02:20 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
how will they continue to sell it in Europe, when they dont sell it at all in europe

:-).
More specifically he said 'worldwide' sale - I interpreted that as meaning Europe. My bad. He said he obtained the information from a 'Lexus Production Meeting' held 'last week.' That is all In know, and it is 2nd hand information and so I cannot vouch for its accuracy.
Old 10-19-11, 02:24 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by Trexus
That's ashame. All Lexus had to do was restyle it...
I agree. 1-1/2 inches lower and about 6 inches longer making the boot (or the trunk) larger, and it would be just about perfect. But they did not ask my opinion.
Old 10-20-11, 06:29 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by DDS62
Just spoke to the top (and most senior) sales person at Lexus River Center- the person that makes many of their sales videos. He said he knows nothing this. However it may be something that has not yet reached his attention. He will be in a regional meeting on Thursday and he will let me know on Friday or Saturday if it is true. He said the demand for the HS is high and it would surprise him, but it could happen.
Please post what you find out. My wife now wants one, and I do not know whether to hurry and try to find one somewhere, wait until next year (which is what I planned to do - $$$), or wait for the 300. I wonder if the 300 will have the tech goodies of the HS250H. It is the technical stuff that sells me on the car, and once she saw the navigation projected in the heads-up display, showing even how many lanes on the freeway turned and how many stayed straight, and which lane to get itno, she was sold. (And I did not want to tell her - but that was a surprise to me too - it is really amazing stuff).
Old 10-20-11, 12:57 PM
DDS62
Driver

Just received a message from Lexus RiverCenter (Greater Cincinnati downtown area) and they confirm that they know of no plan to pull the HS from the US. They will be receiving 2012 HS's and will receive their first shipment in 60 to 90 days. The message however was somewhat vague in as much as there was no statement that the rumor was totally incorrect - only that the 2012 production and shipment to the US is confirmed. So maybe next October? Who knows. I still say that the HS will be the beginning, not the end of a niche category of "mid size Hybrid only model" much as is the CT as a compact. But here I go speculating again. If you would like to contact them ask for Phil Booth. Honest, good character and a straight forward businessman.

And I would like to correct a statement that no one probably remembers I even made - that the Hybrids could be expanded to receive a turbocharger to further enhance the power factor. In fact the Atkinson cycle engines that Toyota uses with their Hybrids are designed to minimize high velocity exhaust gases (zero pressure BDC) which negates the ability to mate turbocharges to them. Actually you really need to be a auto engineer to understand these things in detail.
Old 10-20-11, 02:55 PM
Trexus

That's good news. Thanks for updating us...

Quick Reply: No more 250h for the US