HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Set an MPG Record on Today's Commute!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 06:07 PM
hyperme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Set an MPG Record on Today's Commute!!

I just had my EBH (Engine Block Heater) installed on my HS250h this past weekend. After less than one week I already love that thing and know it's going to make an even bigger impact come this winter. Anyway, with warmer weather today (mid 70s) and my newly installed EBH, I set a record today on my 40 mile commute. SG II read 71.3mpg for today's drive (my SG is very accurate, usually just a couple of tenths lower than actual). I'm also going for a record tank, the MFD now reads 67.0 mpg for the current tank which has 598 miles on it (my record is 67.1 mpg). That equates to approx 63.5 actual mpg's (my MFD is overstated by approx 5%). I'm still having a blast driving this car, except that the negative effect winter had on my mpg's wasn't too much fun. But I'm hoping the EBH will help with that starting next winter.
Old 06-17-11, 06:40 PM
yoyo6713
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hyperme
I just had my EBH (Engine Block Heater) installed on my HS250h this past weekend. After less than one week I already love that thing and know it's going to make an even bigger impact come this winter. Anyway, with warmer weather today (mid 70s) and my newly installed EBH, I set a record today on my 40 mile commute. SG II read 71.3mpg for today's drive (my SG is very accurate, usually just a couple of tenths lower than actual). I'm also going for a record tank, the MFD now reads 67.0 mpg for the current tank which has 598 miles on it (my record is 67.1 mpg). That equates to approx 63.5 actual mpg's (my MFD is overstated by approx 5%). I'm still having a blast driving this car, except that the negative effect winter had on my mpg's wasn't too much fun. But I'm hoping the EBH will help with that starting next winter.
That is amazing. What was your average speed for the tank?
Old 06-17-11, 07:29 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by yoyo6713
That is amazing. What was your average speed for the tank?
I avoid the freeway, this car does very poorly at those speeds. I always try to find 25-35 mph roads to travel on and so my ave speed is in the low 20's. I believe that is the only way you're going to get the really high mpg numbers. I wish Toyota's HSD system (at least on the HS) was programmed differently to allow decent freeway mileage.
Old 06-17-11, 07:35 PM
hyperme
Driver

Incidentally, had another perfect day today in the 70s with light wind and was able to get 71.0mpg on my commute. By far the two best days I've ever had. Someone said that after 5000 or 10,000 miles this car loosens up and mileage gets better. I hope thats what's happening. I just turned 10,000 miles.
Old 06-18-11, 02:48 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

Congratulations!

I've found that my HS250 has continued to do better as the miles have increased. Now have 17.5k.

I'm envious of your route ... with a job change ... I've been relegated back to mostly freeway driving and am getting about 40mpg. I do miss the good old days (humor)
Old 06-18-11, 03:16 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by KGenaidy
Congratulations!

I've found that my HS250 has continued to do better as the miles have increased. Now have 17.5k.

I'm envious of your route ... with a job change ... I've been relegated back to mostly freeway driving and am getting about 40mpg. I do miss the good old days (humor)
Hello again KG. Last I heard your job change eliminated your commute (down to 1.5 miles or something IIRC). Did you change jobs again? I understand completely about the freeway driving, I took the HS on a 500mile trip last month and averaged only 42mpg. Ouch, that was extremely painful watching the mpg's stay in that range. And there's no way I was doing that trip on rural roads. Anyway, good to hear from you.
Old 06-18-11, 08:39 AM
JayGoldste
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hyperme
I'm also going for a record tank, the MFD now reads 67.0 mpg for the current tank which has 598 miles on it (my record is 67.1 mpg). That equates to approx 63.5 actual mpg's (my MFD is overstated by approx 5%).
Those numbers are hard to believe. The US EPA reports 35 mpg combined city/highway driving for the HS250h, so you're getting almost twice that! I've got a 400cc Yamaha Majesty scooter, and with judicious use of the throttle, I get around 4L/100km (59 mpg [US]) on the highway. Please pass along your driving tips.

With the HS250h, I'm pleased to be averaging a calculated 7.5L/100km (about 31 mpg[US]) in short distance, in-town driving. My best consumption to date has been 6.4L/100km (about 37 mpg [US]) on the highway.
Old 06-18-11, 09:45 AM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by JayGoldste
Those numbers are hard to believe. The US EPA reports 35 mpg combined city/highway driving for the HS250h, so you're getting almost twice that! I've got a 400cc Yamaha Majesty scooter, and with judicious use of the throttle, I get around 4L/100km (59 mpg [US]) on the highway. Please pass along your driving tips.

With the HS250h, I'm pleased to be averaging a calculated 7.5L/100km (about 31 mpg[US]) in short distance, in-town driving. My best consumption to date has been 6.4L/100km (about 37 mpg [US]) on the highway.
I am an adamant hypermiler. 100% of the time I'm driving, I'm hypermiling. Hypermiling techniques I use: P&G, DWB, DWL, NICE-off coasting, Warm-up P&G, PP, light timing, route planning and others. Also air-up my tires, and SG II is a must. I couldn't even come close to the high mpg's without HM'ing. But I wouldn't have it any other way, this is too much fun.
Old 06-19-11, 06:15 PM
davewt
Driver School Candidate

OK, I give up, what do all the initials stand for? Light timing and route planning make sense, but what is P&G, DWB, etc?

Dave
Old 06-19-11, 06:43 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by davewt
OK, I give up, what do all the initials stand for? Light timing and route planning make sense, but what is P&G, DWB, etc?

Dave
P&G-pulse and glide (accelerating then coasting.............and repeat)
DWB-drive without brakes (although not literally) (involves a lot of coasting to stop lights, stop signs, etc)
DWL-drive with load (maintaining one throttle position consistently)
NICE-off coast-Neutral Internal Combustion Engine-off (coasting in neutral while engine is off, you do this while P&G'ing)
PP-potential parking (parking face out or on top of a hill)
Old 06-19-11, 06:53 PM
davewt
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Hyperme. One more question, I have read about pulse & glide (P&G - see how fast I catch on?) but don't know how much to P and how much to G. Shall I P to 85 and G to 40? or is it more like P to 60 and G to 50?

Dave
Old 06-19-11, 07:06 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by davewt
Thanks Hyperme. One more question, I have read about pulse & glide (P&G - see how fast I catch on?) but don't know how much to P and how much to G. Shall I P to 85 and G to 40? or is it more like P to 60 and G to 50?

Dave
P&G'ing the HS at freeway speeds is somewhere between impossible and frustratingly difficult. Not to mention not very effective. I stay off the freeway and do all my P&G'ing under 41mph (the speed where the ICE will shut down when you go into your glide by taking your foot off the accelerator). For instance, if I'm driving on a street with PSL (posted speed limit) of 35mph, I'll pulse up to 38-40mph then glide down to 30 (depending on what traffic allows of course), then repeat. Bottom line is if you're always driving in heavy traffic or always at speeds above 41mph, you will be limited on how high your mpg's will be. And yeah, it's nice to see that you catch on quickly.
Old 06-19-11, 07:08 PM
hyperme
Driver

Dave,
Sorry, forgot one very important thing re P&G. When you start your glide, also shift to neutral as soon as the ICE shuts down, and you will get a much much longer coast.
Old 06-20-11, 09:41 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

I am a late-comer to this thread, but I am curious as an ex-Wisconsin resident - what is an SGII, and why does an engine-block heater help you in the summer?
Old 06-20-11, 01:53 PM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I am a late-comer to this thread, but I am curious as an ex-Wisconsin resident - what is an SGII, and why does an engine-block heater help you in the summer?
It's probably hard for you to understand - you're so comfortable even at night in FL.
Even here in upstate NY, temp frequently falls down to 50s at night. That's why an EBH will still help.

Our summers are different

Wondering about our winters?
Temp frequently falls down to below zero at night.
Even after my 16 miles commute in the morning, the car would refuse to go on EV in parking lot at work
No matter how much I tried, I was getting around 32mpg in winter. These days, I'm getting around 40 mpg. (won't last long though - our summers are very short

Quick Reply: Set an MPG Record on Today's Commute!!