HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Set an MPG Record on Today's Commute!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-11, 03:03 PM
hyperme
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
I am a late-comer to this thread, but I am curious as an ex-Wisconsin resident - what is an SGII, and why does an engine-block heater help you in the summer?
Not sure if you're familiar with the warm-up stages of Toyota's HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) system, but there are 4 of them that the system has to go through after you start the car. Each stage of this warm-up cycle has different capabilities and availability of certain hybrid functions. Additionally, each stage becomes available at certain ICE temperatures. The final stage is reached at 157*F at which time all functions of the hybrid system are available and you are now able to take full advantage of the HSD system to allow you the best possible mileage. An EBH allows you to get to S4 (Stage 4, the final stage) much quicker and helps to improve your mpg (especially on shorter trips and in colder weather but it has a positive affect all year round). SG II (ScanGauge II) is a gauge that allows you to monitor many functions of your car's engine via the OBD port. Using a SG II will allow you to know when the ICE has reached each temperature level for each stage.

All this can be very confusing at first as there are many complexities involved with the HSD, and you'll have to take baby steps before you understand everything about this car. But once you do, it can be very rewarding and a lot of fun. If interested, Google hypermiling and you'll find an unlimited amount of info (that's how I started).

And rajeev6 is correct about the weather, last week I woke up to temps in the 40's, that's right, 40's in June. OUCH!
Old 06-20-11, 10:59 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Originally Posted by hyperme
Not sure if you're familiar with the warm-up stages of Toyota's HSD (Hybrid Synergy Drive) system, but there are 4 of them that the system has to go through after you start the car. Each stage of this warm-up cycle has different capabilities and availability of certain hybrid functions. Additionally, each stage becomes available at certain ICE temperatures. The final stage is reached at 157*F at which time all functions of the hybrid system are available and you are now able to take full advantage of the HSD system to allow you the best possible mileage. An EBH allows you to get to S4 (Stage 4, the final stage) much quicker and helps to improve your mpg (especially on shorter trips and in colder weather but it has a positive affect all year round). SG II (ScanGauge II) is a gauge that allows you to monitor many functions of your car's engine via the OBD port. Using a SG II will allow you to know when the ICE has reached each temperature level for each stage.

All this can be very confusing at first as there are many complexities involved with the HSD, and you'll have to take baby steps before you understand everything about this car. But once you do, it can be very rewarding and a lot of fun. If interested, Google hypermiling and you'll find an unlimited amount of info (that's how I started).

And rajeev6 is correct about the weather, last week I woke up to temps in the 40's, that's right, 40's in June. OUCH!
Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea. I have driven rental Prius cars, but the whole concept of four-stage warm-up is totally new to me. I will try to do some reading to learn more about it. I appreciate it. By the way, is this four-stage warm-up unique to the Toyota family of hybrids? Or is it the same with other manufacturers as well?

I doubt that I have the patience to hypermile, but I have a great respect for your achievements, and I enjoy reading your posts. BTW, I am suggesting that people from other automotive forums come over here to take a look at what you have accomplished and learn a bit more about your 'hobby.'

Well done.
Old 06-21-11, 04:33 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
Thanks for the lesson. I had no idea. I have driven rental Prius cars, but the whole concept of four-stage warm-up is totally new to me. I will try to do some reading to learn more about it. I appreciate it. By the way, is this four-stage warm-up unique to the Toyota family of hybrids? Or is it the same with other manufacturers as well?

I doubt that I have the patience to hypermile, but I have a great respect for your achievements, and I enjoy reading your posts. BTW, I am suggesting that people from other automotive forums come over here to take a look at what you have accomplished and learn a bit more about your 'hobby.'

Well done.
I'm sure all hybrids have some kind of warm-up process, but I can only speak to Toyota's HSD re having 4 stages to the warm-up (and as a matter of fact, there are those out there that say it's actually a 5 stage process, but the difference is not very important). Oh, and this thing you refer to as a "hobby", it's more like an obsession due to it being so very addictive.
Old 06-22-11, 08:01 AM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

When you are doing you HM thing, are you being an impediment to traffic? I have a 90 mile roundtrip commute. Avoiding the interstate and cruising at any speed under 70 MPH would really grate on me. I'm thrilled that my 4.3L V8 averages 25 MPG if I keep the adaptive cruise set at about 73 MPH. I've thought about a hybrid commuter car, but I don't think I could part with the power and comfort of my LS.
Old 06-22-11, 02:39 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
When you are doing you HM thing, are you being an impediment to traffic? I have a 90 mile roundtrip commute. Avoiding the interstate and cruising at any speed under 70 MPH would really grate on me. I'm thrilled that my 4.3L V8 averages 25 MPG if I keep the adaptive cruise set at about 73 MPH. I've thought about a hybrid commuter car, but I don't think I could part with the power and comfort of my LS.
I try not to be, when I route-plan, I always select streets that are at least 2 lanes to give others an option to pass if they wish. If traffic is heavier, I will increase my speed to accomodate. I can understand your reluctancy to switch from your LS, that is a very nice ride. And the power thing is difficult to give up, too. I sold my M3 after I got the HS, so I've pretty much done an about face (but my speeding tickets have been nil since ).
Old 06-22-11, 04:47 PM
caddyowner
Recovering Lexus Addict

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the explanation.

.... I sold my M3 after I got the HS, so I've pretty much done an about face (but my speeding tickets have been nil since ).
This reminded me of some movie ad I saw recently where the cops are questioning a guy caught on a red light camera leaving the area of a robbery. He had a wild look on his face in the red light camera photo. When asked why he blew threw the light he responded that he was drag racing someone.

"In a Prius??"

"I lose a lot."
Old 06-27-11, 10:58 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Just for reference, I drive my HS pretty "normally", even a bit aggressively, and have a 22 mile commute that's mostly highway doing 75-80 mph. I average 38 mpg indicated, which is about 36.5 mpg actual.

While it's no LS in power, room, or comfort, it's not an econobox either. And it would save you 30% on your gas bill, more if your LS drinks premium.

Or you might consider a turbo diesel for your next car, with all those highway miles. Power and fuel economy!
Old 06-27-11, 02:38 PM
Sarahbelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in San Diego, my commute to school everyday last summer was like a 13min commute going ~74mph, to and from = 26min. My MPG was about 32, gas up every 2 weeks... And my hs has about 12k mileage on it.

But from reading all of your posts... Which kinda confuses me. How can I get better mileage??? =)
Old 06-27-11, 05:11 PM
hyperme
Driver

Originally Posted by Sarahbelle
Here in San Diego, my commute to school everyday last summer was like a 13min commute going ~74mph, to and from = 26min. My MPG was about 32, gas up every 2 weeks... And my hs has about 12k mileage on it.

But from reading all of your posts... Which kinda confuses me. How can I get better mileage??? =)
The biggest difference maker in your case would be to slow down. Going 74mph will kill your mpg's. Also, practice coasting more (and earlier) up to stop signs and traffic lights, you don't ever want to put yourself in a position where you have to brake hard. And don't accelerate briskly. Those are just a couple of quick and easy suggestions that should make an immediate difference. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing.
Old 07-03-11, 10:06 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Hyperme has it right - speed and conservation of momentum are the two biggest factors you can control to get better mpg (in any car, not just a hybrid). Slowing down to 45-55 is probably the only way to see 45+ mpg in the HS, but if you're like me and time is more important than gas cost, the next biggest thing you can do is practice conservation of momentum. That means more gentle acceleration, and staying off the brakes as much as possible, or if you do brake, apply them gently and for longer distances (partial braking recovers energy back into electicity in a hybrid, but hitting the brakes hard just turns it into heat).

If you spend a lot of time on really crowded freeways, you might be stuck though - my roads in NC are not too crowded so I'm not at the mercy of the pack.
Old 07-04-11, 09:38 AM
Sarahbelle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks hyperme and sdls, I'll go ahead and just slow down and that would probably solve the problem =) I will definitely keep you all posted! Thanks!
Old 07-06-11, 08:26 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Slow down

Yes - I've slowed down now - no need to buy a new radar detector
Old 07-09-11, 01:05 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I sold my M3 after I got the HS, so I've pretty much done an about face (but my speeding tickets have been nil since ).
Yeah, I've slowed down too. But I sold my M3 'before' I placed an order.

Now I'm in a 1.5 liter eco-box as I await a delivery date. Talk about an "about face"!