HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

After market AC condenser from Geico

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 03:03 AM
yoyo6713
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market AC condenser from Geico

A week ago I hit a deer in my HS250h (2K miles). It was 7:30am and I was going 25 miles/hr on a local road when the deer suddenly jumped out in front of me. No one was hurt but the poor deer was killed. The damage to my car was 11K. I got the estimate from Geico today and one thing they insisted to use was a $205 aftermarket AC condenser despite my plea of using OEM part since the car is still new (and the AC has not even been used). The lexus OEM parts cost is $800. Geico's AC condenser is from 1-800-RADIATOR part #303618. Anyone familiar with it? Is it worth paying $600 out of pocket to get the lexus part myself? I offered to forgo my 2 week car rental in exchange of the OEM condenser but Geico won't even entertain. Geico also claims the after market part is equal or better than the original and the replacement comes with life time warranty parts and labor.
Old 05-21-11, 03:00 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

That's too bad. I can't speak for the A/C condensor but I recently faced the same issue on an aftermarket windshield not wanting to pay about $800 out of my pocket for the Lexus glass. I went with the aftermarket glass installed by my Lexus dealer and I hate it. Tint is too light and I hear much more outside noise. I thought I was in luck just yesterday when what looked like a golf ball sized rock hit it at 75 mph but would you believe there wasn't even a mark. Maybe someone can post with more knowledge about condensors but just having an insurance company tell me it is as good or better than OEM isn't very reasurring. Good luck with this one.

Dave Mac
Old 05-24-11, 05:19 PM
yoyo6713
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
That's too bad. I can't speak for the A/C condensor but I recently faced the same issue on an aftermarket windshield not wanting to pay about $800 out of my pocket for the Lexus glass. I went with the aftermarket glass installed by my Lexus dealer and I hate it. Tint is too light and I hear much more outside noise. I thought I was in luck just yesterday when what looked like a golf ball sized rock hit it at 75 mph but would you believe there wasn't even a mark. Maybe someone can post with more knowledge about condensors but just having an insurance company tell me it is as good or better than OEM isn't very reasurring. Good luck with this one.

Dave Mac
The Lexus dealer said they would order and install the OEM AC condenser instead and will take care of the extra cost. This was my second accident in two months. First one involved a tire store employee getting into an accident in my RX330 with another lady in the store parking lot. Since I brought both cars to the dealer they are showing some appreciation for my business (total 21K)? I feel a bit better but both of my cars now have bad carfax history. I hope Geico won't jack up my rates.
Old 05-25-11, 08:49 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Another example of Lexus taking good care of their customers. That is why I usually buy from the same dealer and have what little service I need done there as well. Paying $20 too much for an oil change is worth it.

Glad this worked out for you but sorry about your recent accidents.

Dave Mac
Old 06-01-11, 08:33 PM
yoyo6713
Driver School Candidate

I got my car back today. It turned out my windshield also cracked in the lower corner so they had to replace that as well. Another 1K cost but Geico did provide for the OEM part. I am a bit surprised hitting a deer at 25 miles/hr can cause that much damage to the hs250. I guess I was just unlucky that the deer hit dead center in between the front bumper. Now that it has passed I am going to buy some lottery tickets.