Default HS new Tires ..ideas???

i was going to upgrade to new tires for the non-winter mos

Considering MichelinPilot Sport A/S Plus i have 18s
anyone upgrade their HS shoes yet?

Old 03-13-11, 03:21 AM
A320pilot
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have on order a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS since Dec 15, 2010: unfortunately they are on national backorder. Very Positive reviews by many users in many different car forums.
I paid - Discount Tire:$550.00, less mail-in $40 rebate, that I received already and Flip phone promo.
I ordered them knowing they have been on back order for months and that when buying my HS, the sticker that read, 20,000 mile treadlife on the window. I drive about 30,000 miles year. There is a recent thread that show's a members ride with 20,000 miles and decent tread on the Proxies.
Here is Tirerack's review:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ium&tab=Survey
Old 03-13-11, 06:58 AM
HybridLuvR
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great info,....alot cheaper than Miche's

Did you ever get your order fulfilled though?
Old 03-13-11, 03:48 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by HybridLuvR
Thanks for the great info,....alot cheaper than Miche's

Did you ever get your order fulfilled though?
Not yet as of this post - I was told last week end of March. Others in different forums are told Summer. Again, all reviews are nothing but positive.
Old 03-13-11, 06:07 PM
DDS62
Driver

Why are you upgrading? Better ride? Less road noise? more mileage? I would guess the standard high performance Toyo's would be hard to beat for handling.
Old 03-13-11, 06:37 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by DDS62
Why are you upgrading? Better ride? Less road noise? more mileage? I would guess the standard high performance Toyo's would be hard to beat for handling.
For me - Snow Performance.
Old 03-14-11, 10:36 AM
DDS62
Driver

Check out YotaCarFan's comments about his snow tires/wheels in the thread "Well. my dear .... I love you ..."
Old 03-19-11, 04:39 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by A320pilot
I have on order a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS since Dec 15, 2010: unfortunately they are on national backorder. Very Positive reviews by many users in many different car forums.
I paid - Discount Tire:$550.00, less mail-in $40 rebate, that I received already and Flip phone promo.
I ordered them knowing they have been on back order for months and that when buying my HS, the sticker that read, 20,000 mile treadlife on the window. I drive about 30,000 miles year. There is a recent thread that show's a members ride with 20,000 miles and decent tread on the Proxies.
Here is Tirerack's review:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ium&tab=Survey
Finally came in and on the HS......So far with 100 miles on them....Quite, wow major difference, Handling on dry road is what everyone is saying, they grip the road. Will post more as I drive on them.
Old 03-24-11, 09:10 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Looking forward to hearing your experience. I have about 5k left on my Toyo's, and would love to have something with better wet traction and longer tread life. I can't even find these Toyo's if I want to replace them (I'm sure the dealer will sell some to me for $$$).

Those Conti's look awesome on paper! The Pilot Sport A/S's would have been my first choice, but I'm choking on the price.

My local Discount Tire store says they have the Conti's in stock :-)
Old 03-24-11, 05:03 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Looking forward to hearing your experience. I have about 5k left on my Toyo's, and would love to have something with better wet traction and longer tread life. I can't even find these Toyo's if I want to replace them (I'm sure the dealer will sell some to me for $$$).

Those Conti's look awesome on paper! The Pilot Sport A/S's would have been my first choice, but I'm choking on the price.

My local Discount Tire store says they have the Conti's in stock :-)
I've driven almost 500 miles on them since I got them put on......Love them even more with every mile. Quiet, no softness. Looking forward to the snow next year.

PMed you
Old 09-19-11, 11:25 AM
Magellan55

Well, my Toyo's are about bald now with 24k on them. A320, do you still like those Conti's? Have you noticed any change in mpg with them over the stock Toyo's?

Any other suggestions out there? Consumer Reports and TireRack seem to favor the Conti DWS, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS, and Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.
Old 09-22-11, 06:23 PM
A320pilot
Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan55
Well, my Toyo's are about bald now with 24k on them. A320, do you still like those Conti's? Have you noticed any change in mpg with them over the stock Toyo's?

Any other suggestions out there? Consumer Reports and TireRack seem to favor the Conti DWS, the Michelin Pilot Sport AS, and Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S.
Love them…..about 12,000 miles on them to date. I give them all positive marks from handling to noise. Happy with my choice. I even have them inflated to 39psi and get about 36 - 37 mpg.

I have the 4 original TOYO's that came with the car and less then 900 miles on them if anyone is interested……email me at A320pilot@aol.com

Last edited by A320pilot; 09-24-11 at 03:30 AM.
Old 10-17-11, 12:14 PM
ezdraft
Driver School Candidate

Default need help with replacement tires

i have a 205h and the michelins that came with it wore out pretty fast, i now have to get 4 new tires and the michelins are very expensive, any ideas? The car is leased. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-19-11, 05:19 AM
A320pilot
Driver

Continental ExtremeContact DWS LOVE THEM
I have the 4 original TOYO's that came with my car and less then 900 miles on them if you are interested, (18's)……email me at A320pilot@aol.com
Old 10-20-11, 09:03 PM
Magellan55

Default Review - Conti DWS versus stock Toyo's

OK, I've now run a few tanks on my new Continental ContactExtreme DWS's, and wanted to share my experience with them against the stock Toyo's (18").

Pros:
- About $50/tire cheaper than either the Pilot Sport or MXM, my other options (I like Michelins).
- 50,000 tread warranty - nice! My Toyo's lasted half that.
- The tires have a rounder shoulder, which IMO matches up with the HS suspension better. My HS feels more predicable in corners now, especially at the limit and over rough surfaces. I always felt the Toyo's bit too hard on initial turn-in and overwhelmed the fairly soft (non-sport) HS suspension.
- Limited driving in the wet so far, and no slipping at all. The Toyo's used to lose traction too quickly in the wet IMO, and hydroplaned badly (almost slid into a ditch on a gentle turn right before I replaced them). Haven't had a hydroplane opportunity yet with these tires.
- no experience with snow yet - that's supposed to be a big plus for the DWS, and it was a big negative for the Toyo.

Cons:
- They "sing" a bit - I noticed it immediately as I drove away from the tire place. I don't recall the Toyo's making any noise at all, nor the Michelins on any of my other cars. It could be the aggressive snow tread. It's not terrible, but it is noticeable given how quiet the car is otherwise. I now have 1000 miles on them, and the noise has not abated, so it's not just a "new tire" thing.
- Steering response is not as sharp - I actually like it as it better matches the character of the HS but others may object to the less sporty feeling so I'm listing it as a "con".
- mpg dropped from 38.9 to 36.9 per tank indicated, averaged over several tanks driving the same commute every day on ECO. 38 psi in all cases. I'm comparing new tires with worn ones, and 1/4" of tread accounts for about 3/4 mpg, so I'm thinking these tires are about 1 mpg worse than the Toyo's. I have no idea what kind of mpg a Pilot Sport AS or MXM would get, but against the Toyo that translates to about an extra $100 in gas over 40,000 miles @ $3.50/gal.
- the rounded shoulders don't look as sharp as the Toyo's on the 18" rim (minor issue to me, but may be more important to others).

Well, that's it, and much of it is subjective. Fire away with other thoughts, or experiences with other tires here for the benefit of other members who might be hitting replacement time. Given the unique nature of the HS, I thought it best to post this here rather than the tire forum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HS new Tires ..ideas???