HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Voice Phone Dialing

Old 10-31-10, 10:57 AM
acheparev
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voice Phone Dialing

Is it me or does anyone else thing its pretty stupid to have to hit dial or say dial after you speak the contact you want to dial. Also, why does it have to repeat it twice?

Anyone know if these setting can be changed, I tried to look for the settings but couldn't find anything.

Ideal would be after you speak a contact, it repeats once, then dials right away. And you always have an option to hang up while it's dialing if it's the wrong contact.

Rant Over...
Old 11-01-10, 11:14 AM
rajeev6
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dialing

You're not ranting - I have the same frustration.

It is worse as I've an Acura MDX too that the dialing in that car is exactly the opposite - I don't even remember which one behaves which way but in one, you've to press the button first before you say a command and in the other you've to say the command and press the button.

Both my cars are new so I'm hoping that older owners would have some advice for us
Old 11-01-10, 08:02 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What irks me is that the voice recognition system doesn't seem to recognize "mobile", "home", or "office" when spoken along with the contact's name (e.g., "Joe Smith mobile").

I like the fact that the system requires the user to confirm the choice of contact before calling (one time would be sufficient, though). The alternative is not so nice. For example, when I try to use the voice commands on my iPhone which does not request confirmation, it invariably guesses wrong and then instantaneously calls the wrong person, resulting in my number showing up in their call log and me getting a callback.
Old 11-02-10, 04:17 AM
acheparev
Driver

Actually it works for me. I always say "Call John Smith Mobile" and it always works, but then it repeats it twice, then asks for confirmation. I get more distracted by this then if I just find the contact manually and call from the console.
Old 11-03-10, 08:35 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine doesn't repeat twice? Is this just an issue with Navi cars? I hit the voice button, say "dial home", it confirms "home", then I hit the dial button, it says "dialing". Seems fine to me, and I like that it confirms, because sometimes it misinterprets what I say.
Old 11-03-10, 09:35 AM
acheparev
Driver

The way it's on my car (I have Navigation), I say "Call John Smith Mobile" and it repeats "Call John Smith Mobile, Call John Smith Mobile" then asks to "Say Dial or Press Off Hook Button". Also, if you press the "Off Hook" button too soon, it will stop the dialing, which is annoying, because you have to wait until it finishes saying everything before pressing the Off Hook button.

Very annoying!
Old 11-04-10, 07:18 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's really frustrating is the underpowered CPU in the voice recognition system (and the navigation system too - a hard disk based system should not have a laggy GUI). Processing of voice commands is so slow I generally don't use the feature.

Has anyone used voice commands to mute/unmute the phone on the HS? I know this was broken on the last generation system -- on my '07 ES350 saying "unmute" while on a call with the mic muted resulted in the system hanging up the call and unmuting the stereo system.
Old 11-04-10, 06:28 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by acheparev
The way it's on my car (I have Navigation), I say "Call John Smith Mobile" and it repeats "Call John Smith Mobile, Call John Smith Mobile" then asks to "Say Dial or Press Off Hook Button". Also, if you press the "Off Hook" button too soon, it will stop the dialing, which is annoying, because you have to wait until it finishes saying everything before pressing the Off Hook button.

Very annoying!
Wow, that's weird. doesn't happen with the non-Nav. And it allows me to hit the off-hook button any time I want - I usually hit it as soon as I hear the confirmation of what I'm dialing, so I don't have to listen to the "say dial or..." instructions.

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
Has anyone used voice commands to mute/unmute the phone on the HS? I know this was broken on the last generation system -- on my '07 ES350 saying "unmute" while on a call with the mic muted resulted in the system hanging up the call and unmuting the stereo system.
I had no idea you could mute/unmute via voice command. So, do the other people on the call hear you say "Mute!" before the phone mutes?
Old 11-05-10, 09:56 AM
acheparev
Driver

What happens if you are talking to someone and they say "Mute", will it mute your call?