HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

What should I do for this accident?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-10, 09:07 PM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What should I do for this accident?

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted an opinion on what I should do. I got in a slight accident, I was stopped at a red light and the car behind me let go of her brakes so she hit me. The main marks are from the license plate screws of her car.

I'm attaching the pics of the damage.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/1444572/1/HS250?h=66ce8b

The insurance company cut me a check for a bit over $1000 for the damage. I can either take the money and leave the car as is. Or I can fix it at their body shop and they give me a rental car during the time.

My car is leased, if I had bought the car, I think I might just live with the damage because once you repaint a car, it never looks the same. I feel like I can buff out most of the damage and then fill it in slightly with some touch up paint. I've had worse scratches on my bumper in my old lease that I didn't get charged for, I maybe I can get away with not fixing this thing. What does everyone think. Bad enough to fix or pocket the $1000 but realize that I'm driving a leased car. They are linient to a certain point.
Old 08-14-10, 11:28 PM
MG512
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't mind it I would just leave it and pocket the money. The dealership probably would chalk that up to wear and tear, although this is why that $400 $5000 policy I got from them is useful for more than just tires. Anyway, pocket the money if you don't care, but don't spend it right away. If the dealership charges you for it then use the money to pay for it. Looking at the pictures though I really doubt they're going to charge you for it.
Old 08-15-10, 01:28 AM
moolman
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, from my last lease experience. Lexus is fairly lenient with the wear and tear. I think I had a scrap on my bumper that looked worse and I didn't get charged. Worst case I doubt they would charge more than the $1000 I got back. Maybe wait until it's time to turn in the car because I might get more scrapes back there.
Old 08-15-10, 02:56 AM
JamesDemo
Rookie

I had the exact thing happen to my 350 that I traded in to get my HS. I took the car to a place called "Carsmetics" its a chain that does repairs and it was $300.00. Did a great job. Could not tell the bumper was ever hit. The person had the same plate with the screw indent who hit me. Parking lot hit and run.
If it were me I would get the car fixed. There an old saying pay now or pay later. But I bet you will have some extra cash and no dents to look at daily!

Last edited by JamesDemo; 08-15-10 at 03:10 AM.
Old 08-15-10, 07:52 AM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default if it were me

I'd get it fixed and pocket the difference you'll spend. It shouldn't cost you more than around $300-500 to take off and repaint the bumper.
Old 08-15-10, 07:58 AM
hyperme
Driver

The two things you have to think about are:
1. Can you live with the damage or are you going to notice it every time you approach the car from the rear?
2. Will the dealer make you repair it or charge you for it at the expiration of the lease?

If either one is likely, or a possibility, I would seek out a ma & pa body shop that would do it on the cheap, especially since you don't own it. Like JamesDemo, I use a shop that will make those small repairs pretty inexpensively. Many repair shops will quote you to completely repaint the entire bumper when they see damage like that, and while that is probably the best way to do it, if you tell the shop you don't want to spend that kind of money, they should be able to just repair the damaged area and do what they call blending (the paint) so it's barely noticeable, if at all. This could actually end up to be a rather profitable experience for you.
Old 09-01-10, 03:58 AM
JimmyFoste
Driver School Candidate

Well, First of all I cannot see the accident picture of your car. So, if you thinks that it is just because of that accident the definitely you should claim more from them.
Old 03-22-13, 10:17 PM
Oggi
Driver School Candidate

I have a question, if someone could assist me. I leased a Lexus Truck RX 350, 2010.
Within one month of owing it I got into an accident lady in front of me stopped suddenly...I tried to pull over to avoid her and noticed a truck therefore I had to brake, she was texting. I repaired the truck which wasn't that damaged compared to her car.

6 Months later, I am heading off to work and some lady ran a red light and almost killed me...I was lucky she clipped the back of my truck and I did a 360 turn into another lane....so after t hat I really was scared... I drive with fear every single day. This time the I was so frazzled the tow truck convinced me to take my truck to his shop and I did...at that moment my heart was throbbing, I was gonna faint to tell you the truth.../ they didn't do the best job but all new Lexus parts and NO damage to the frame. All good. Of course the body shops bumped the estimate as I figured out they want money which make my damages seem worse and lessons the value of the truck.
Who knew. I was so stressed out that didn't come into mind. The insurance was notified...and so forth.

Now back to my truck which is leased. I called Lexus in TOronto and asked to switch to a smaller type of Lexus.
I was informed since the damage was almost 30,000 ( not sure if it was not much....) they would have to send it to Lexus Canada to be auctioned. They have no re-sale due to the accidents so I would have to stay in the lease until the end and then switch to another lexus.

When I leased the truck I never thought of accidents since I was driving for 16 years and no accidents. I am alive but I feel as if I am being taken advantage of and not sure who to seek guidance from. I know I am leasing...I am very upset and so worried because I don't know who to trust anymore. Everyones has really lied to me. I was a so stupid and to nice and they totally ate me alive and now this. What should I do, any ideas or experience to help me. If I could warn anybody ...I totally would SCREAM it out loud.... what a mess. I total mess.

So basically I have to settle with my truck which is fine because its a beautiful truck and it looks amazon but just knowing what I know and what has happened I feel like this beautiful truck I am paying for every month holds no value.... why would they send this vechile to an auction. Its spotless and worth money???

Any thoughts please.
Old 03-24-13, 10:02 PM
photomikey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oggi
Any thoughts please.
  • I think a 2.5 year old post was a strange place to put this reply
  • I think it deals mostly with a truck, which I don't believe Lexus manufactures, so it seems like it would be more at home on a truck forum
  • I further think that it wouldn't get much traction on a truck forum, what you really need is a lawyer
  • Your post is so discontinuous that I can't tell whether you have a leg to stand on in court - but a lawyer could tell you!
There - that's my thoughts. Anybody else?
Old 03-25-13, 06:32 AM
TonyHS
Driver

The SUV RX 350 is a Lexus, I know it's common on some areas for people to refer to SUV's as trucks.
A lawyer would probably be most help. Especially being so long ago.
I think Lexus will send it to a auction since CPO cannot have major accidents, and a t-bone with the vehicle spinning around sounds like a pretty big accident.