HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

LED headlamps versus halogen

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-10, 05:18 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question LED headlamps versus halogen

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the optional LED headlamps with the standard-issue halogen projector lamps? Are the LED ones substantially better? How do the halogen lights perform? My current Lexus has swiveling HID headlights, and I'm trying to determine if it's worth a 5-month wait to get the LEDs on the HS. I really like the swivel feature, so I'm leaning toward waiting for the LEDs.
Old 05-27-10, 02:57 AM
Richw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I compared the 2 lighting options before I bought my HS (was lucky enough to have cars with both available for a test drive at night). Personally, I thought the LEDs had much better "throw" and were significantly brighter. They definitely have a more white, less yellow color to them, which I prefer, but might not appeal to everyone.

I recently crossed the 50 year milestone on my personal chasis, and I am finding while driving at night things aren't quite as sharp as when I was younger. I felt the LEDs helped and ended up going with that version mainly for this reason.

Not sure it was worth the cost (I have yet to use the headlight washers), but I'm still happy.

I was told that both headlight versions swivel. Anyone know for sure?
Old 05-27-10, 07:14 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@RICHw:
That's very helpful. I, too, need all the help I can get when driving at night, particularly in the rain. Did you have to special-order the LED lights?
Old 05-27-10, 09:21 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

on a related note, anyone have trouble with how far the standard low beams work? Maybe mine are just adjusted too low from the factory, but these lights have a very sharp upper cutoff, and I find I need to use high beams a lot more on dark roads than in other cars. I'm coming up on my 5K oil change, so I plan to ask the dealer to adjust them up a bit.
Old 05-28-10, 02:40 AM
Richw
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: special order LEDs

I was fortunate that there was exactly 1 car within 500 miles of my home that had the combination of features and colors I wanted, and it was at the closest dealer to me. So I didn't need to special order. I understand that, like the ML sound system, the LEDs are hard to find and often have to special ordered - often a wait of several months. You can ask the dealer to search the area. Hopefully you'll have the same luck I did.
Old 05-28-10, 03:34 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Not sure about HS, but for the Prius, the LED headlamps are significantly better than the halogens. Here is some info: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-...html#linkbacks

Mind you, the LEDs on the Prius do NOT swivel...so, i am sure that the HS250 LEDs may even be better, esp. around corners. We do have auto-leveling.

However, having said that, i did have to adjust the "screw" (it is actually a bolt) in back of the LED headlamps to elevate the headlamps for better illumination. From factory, the LEDs aim very low! With them adjusted to my (and others) liking, I FREAKING LOVE MY LEDS! Very bright...and now, the coverage is excellent in front of me (without blinding oncoming traffic). So, you guys may have to adjust your LEDs when you get your cars.

Magellan, you may want to see if you have the bolt/screw behind the headlamp. The bolt adjusts up and down. For us Prius owners, COUNTERCLOCKWISE will elevate the headlamps. CCW as when you look from behind the headlamp towards the front of the car. (And i doubt that the dealership will mess with them due to legal issues if you got into an accident or cause one.)
Old 05-28-10, 09:26 AM
tonyscv
Driver

LED"s are definitely a noticeable improvement from the standard halogens for sure. Are they worth the current price premium? That's up to you. I personally have a very hard time justifying that cost. It'd be one thing if it were a $500 option. It's not worth it to me at the current price... it's particularly annoying that the Prius V comes with LED headlights standard. The HS250's premium package should have included LED's.

The standard headlights are projector beam halogens. They're as good as halogen headlights can be, and certainly a more than adequate standard option.

A separate discussion is why Xenon's weren't the standard issue headlights for these cars.
Old 05-28-10, 09:48 AM
tigmd99
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyscv
it's particularly annoying that the Prius V comes with LED headlights standard. The HS250's premium package should have included LED's.

A separate discussion is why Xenon's weren't the standard issue headlights for these cars.
Well, my Prius is not cheap either...it cost me $35,700 out the door (TTL included)...so, it is about the same or a bit more than a base HS. It is kinda like why the Toyota Avalon comes with HIDs while ES350 comes with halogens as standard equipment. HS owners have more goodies, such as more leather and powered & memory seat(s). Even though i am happy with the Prius seats, i always chuckle that a $35k car still has manual driver's seat.

Xenons are not avail on new hybrids because they apparently are not as energy efficient as LEDs...and being that this is a hybrid, i guess Lexus/Toyota felt that LEDs make more sense.