HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

2010 HS 250h: initial impressions after a whopping 5 days

Old 04-12-10, 01:51 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 HS 250h: initial impressions after a whopping 5 days

After waiting over five months for my (special order) HS, it finally arrived last week. Thus far I'm thoroughly enjoying the car. While I'm sure these will be refined over time, here are some initial thoughts on the car.

Exterior Styling: I actually find it a very handsome car. I think the criticism of it "looking like a Corolla" is just needlessly b*tchy. It simply doesn't look like a Corolla other than, perhaps, some of the over-all proportions. For me the weakest part of the design is the grille. I think if they'd put something just a little more flashy or chromey much of the criticism would be muted. The odd grey 3-bar grille is just sort of bland. And I'd like chrome door handles. Having said that, I've still had a couple people stop and ask me "nice looking car -- what is it?"

Interior Styling: I am really enjoying the space-age interior design and layout. Everything is nicely placed and functional. Quality seems Lexus-like. The seats could be a little more firm/supportive, but are comfortable. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more wood on the center stack somewhere -- a little too much black plastic for my taste.

Driving Characteristics: Having come from an Audi A4, I was expecting the car to feel really sluggish and under-powered. While it doesn't have the pep of the A4, I'm finding it fun to drive. For the traffic conditions I deal with, it's got more than enough oomph. The ride is smoother than the Audi and the interior is equally, if not more, quiet. Again, based on the reviews, I was expecting it to much more noisy inside.

Mileage: So far I'm getting about 35 mpg (in mixed city/highway) driving. And this is without really paying much attention to how I am driving (I'm currently focused more on figuring out the gadgets than maximizing mileage.) But impressive since it seems cars usually under-perform the EPA ratings.

Sound System: for me this is the best part of the car. The Mark Levinson system is phenomenal. My Audi had the premium Bang and Olfsen upgraded stereo which was excellent, but the ML I honestly believe blows it out of the water. Full, rich, deep sound with nice stereo separation and "sound stage." I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison between the ML and the stock stereo, but for me this was definitely worth the $$ and wait.

"Mouse Controller (or whatever it is called)": It's great and superior to the Audi's MMI ****. Easy to use. However a "back" button would be great and I'd prefer the "select" action to be pressing in on the joy stick rather than clicking the button on the side (although I've quickly gotten used to this setup).

iPod Interface: This is probably the weakest part of the infotainment system. While I like the controller, the graphics, controls and menu structure are far inferior to the Audi. Scrolling through lists is pathetically slow. Navigating between playlists, artists, etc is tedious. It also would be nice to be able to see what's currently playing without having to hit the Menu hard button, then click on "Audio". Also, some hard buttons on the controller for next/previous track would be nice (in addition to the steering wheel controls; the Audi had both). The graphics look ancient. I can't believe Lexus couldn't have come up with something that looks elegant and cool. Looks like little or no thought went into them.

The location of the USB and power ports is IN-SANE! Why isn't it in the arm rest or glove box, hidden from view, rather than at the front of the center console with no place to actually put the iPod. And the white printed "12V" and USB/AUX graphics on the cheap plastic covers is just simply tacky. Looks like they belong in the back of a pickup, not a "luxury" car.

Navigation System: Decent and adequate. Better than the Audi, but also looks dated. Why no terrain or Birds-eye view? (I've previously had an RX and and GS and Lexus has clearly not bothered to update their Nav system much. It's functional and decent...but showing its age. The eDestination (putting addresses in online then downloading them to the car) is a cool idea, but very difficult and unintuitive as to where they actually show up. (Rather than ending up in your Address book/destinations, they are under "point of interest" -- what moron decided to put them there? And all the functions (in Nav and elsewhere) that are locked out while in motion is just ridiculous.

Other Infotainment Features: XM Traffic -- I like it. XM Weather -- sort of silly since you can only view the forecast when you are at a complete stop. Lexus Insider -- good god, who cares? Now if you could go online and send particular Lexus (or other) podcasts to your car, that might be cool. XM Radio -- suffers from the same clunky interface and ugly graphics as the iPod. XM Sports and Stocks: have no interest/use. The "energy usage" graphics are also really dated-looking. One would think for not much R&D Lexus could give their owners graphics different from those in the Prius.

Lane Keep Assist: I tried it out this morning (while making sure there weren't any cars in the way) and it seemed to work as advertised -- it alarmed and nudged me back into my lane when I started to drift. The downside to the system is that it seems to be inactive more than it is active (I guess because Chicago's lane markers/lines are of wearing off, at least on my regular route).

Radar Cruise: Works great. Really like it.

Heads Up Display: love it. Can see this becoming a "must have" for my next car. (I'm always thinking about my next car...). Wish it would also show some of the hybrid graphics/current MPG graphics.

Front wide angle camera: better in theory than practice. I finally turned off the "auto" mode since having it turn on everytime I stop a light or stop sign (when I'm likely to want to change the radio or iPod) distracting. So I have to remember to enable it when it's really useful (like pulling out of an alley).

LED Headlights: They really dont seem any different (functionally or aesthetically) from regular Xenons. Cool concept, though. Still, the fact that regular HIDs aren't available on this car is another faux pas.

I'm sure there are some gadgets I forgot. Love the gadgets.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts for those who care to read these things. I love to nit-pick the limitations of the user interface/graphics since these things are a particular interest of mine. I find Lexus' obvious lack of attention to detail when it comes to them disappointing. Having said that, I really do love the car and am sure some of my "gripes" will subside over time. It's fun to identify what I wish was different, while still thoroughly enjoying the car.

Last edited by Argelius; 05-09-10 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 06:37 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good review. For the most part I agree with everything you said.

By-the-way, how do you get to XM traffic?
Old 04-12-10, 08:34 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the in-depth review. I don't have all the goodies on mine, so it was fun reading about how they work. I did get to take a nav model home overnight before I bought mine, so I was able to play around with the mouse, backup camera, and nose camera a bit. The center console does feel a bit weird when the mouse isn't there - my hand just kind of rests there now anyway. Definitely a better design than BMW's i-drive.
Old 04-13-10, 04:27 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Canesguy
Good review. For the most part I agree with everything you said.

By-the-way, how do you get to XM traffic?
Assuming you are subscribing to it (via XM - it's a separate package) if you are past your 90-day trial period, it just shows up on the nav screen as red, yellow and green lines alongside the (major) roads for which traffic info is available. There are also warning icons you can click on for additional info ( as well as the option to have the Lexus voice automatically read them to you).
Old 04-13-10, 04:35 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Two more observations:

(1) why do you push the gear selector doo-hickey forward to go reverse and backwards to to forward?

(2) Lexus Enform: other than, perhaps, the emergency functions (calling 911 if your airbags go off or to locate a stolen car), I don't know why I'd would want to pay for this service (let alone the $200+/year they charge). With iPhones and other Internet connected devices, I just don't have any desire to call and ask some friendly person where the nearest sushi restaurant is. Seems like this is more of a"feature" Lexus added to create additional revenue and as a work-around to the various ways the Nav system is locked out while in motion. I'm guessing 95% of owners do not renew after the 1 year trial.

(Again, these are meant as constructive criticisms, not flaming bashing of my new nearly $50K automobile. "The Pursuit of Perfection" should be just that...)

Last edited by Argelius; 04-13-10 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-13-10, 07:21 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

[QUOTE=Argelius;5398227]Two more observations:

(2) Lexus Enform: other than, perhaps, the emergency functions (calling 911 if your airbags go off or to locate a stolen car), I don't know why I'd would want to pay for this service (let alone the $200+/year they charge).
QUOTE]

Safety Connect is the feature that is similar to OnStar (airbag notification, stolen vehicle locator etc) Lexus Enform is for live help with the navigation. Safety Connect can be purchased seperately or with Lexus Enform. Both are included for one year. I would assume renewal rates will be similar to OnStar...low.
Old 04-13-10, 07:29 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

[QUOTE=jimmyford1;5398456]
Originally Posted by Argelius
Two more observations:

(2) Lexus Enform: other than, perhaps, the emergency functions (calling 911 if your airbags go off or to locate a stolen car), I don't know why I'd would want to pay for this service (let alone the $200+/year they charge).
QUOTE]

Safety Connect is the feature that is similar to OnStar (airbag notification, stolen vehicle locator etc) Lexus Enform is for live help with the navigation. Safety Connect can be purchased seperately or with Lexus Enform. Both are included for one year. I would assume renewal rates will be similar to OnStar...low.
Thanks - I think I knew that they were separate services (but only in the recesses of my mind...). Rather pricey, if you ask me. Safety Connect is $140/year (Although I guess if you break it down, that's only $12/month). Lexus Enform + Safety Connect is $260/year.
Old 04-13-10, 08:49 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

pictures????????????
Old 04-13-10, 09:35 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by (Cj)
pictures????????????
I posted them in a different thread:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5388356-post60.html
Old 04-13-10, 10:16 PM
psoccer555
Rookie

After waiting over five months for my (special order) HS, it finally arrived last week. Thus far I'm thoroughly enjoying the car. While I'm sure these will be refined over time, here's some initial thoughts on the car.

Exterior Styling: I actually find it a very handsome car. I think the criticism of it "looking like a Corolla" is just needlessly b*tchy. It simply doesn't look like a Corolla other than, perhaps, (and this is a stretch) some of the over-all proportions. For me the weakest part of the design is the grille. I think if they'd put something just a little more flashy or chromey much of the criticism would be muted. The odd grey 3-bar grille is just sort of bland. And I'd like chrome door handles. Having said that, I've still had a couple people stop and ask me "nice looking car -- what is it?"

Interior Styling: I am really enjoying the interior design and layout. Everything is nicely laid out and functional. Quality seems Lexus-like. The seats could be a little more firm/supportive, but are comfortable. Personally, I'd like to see a bit more wood on the center stack somewhere -- a little too much black plastic for my taste.

Driving Characteristics: Having come from an Audi A4, I was expecting the car to feel really sluggish and under-powered. While it obviously doesn't have the pep of the A4, I'm finding it fun to drive. For the traffic conditions I deal with, it's got more than enough oomph. The ride is smoother than the Audi and the interior is equally, if not more, quiet. Again, based on the reviews, I was expecting it to much more noisy inside. For

Mileage: So far I'm getting about 35 mpg (in mixed city/highway) driving. And this is without really paying much attention to how I am driving (I'm currently focused more on figuring out the gadgets than maximizing mileage.) But impressive since it seems cars usually under-perform the EPA ratings.

Sound System: for me this is the best part of the car. The Mark Levinson system is phenomenal. My Audi had the premium Bang and Olfsen upgraded stereo which was excellent, but the ML I honestly believe blows it out of the water. Full, rich, deep sound with nice stereo separation and "sound stage." I couldn't do a side-by-side comparison between the ML and the stock stereo, but for me this was definitely worth the $$ and wait.

"Mouse Controller (or whatever it is called)": It's great and superior to the Audi's MMI ****. Easy to use. However a "back" button would be great and I'd prefer the "select" action to be pressing in on the joy stick rather than clicking the button on the side (although I've quickly gotten used to this setup).

iPod Interface: This is probably the weakest part of the infotainment system. While I like the controller, the graphics, controls and menu structure are far inferior to the Audi. Scrolling through lists is pathetically slow. Navigating between playlists, artists, etc is tedious. It also would be nice to be able to see what's currently playing without having to hit the Menu hard button, then click on "Audio". Also, some hard buttons on the controller for next/previous track would be nice (in addition to the steering wheel controls; the Audi had both). The graphics look ancient. I can't believe Lexus couldn't have come up with something that looks elegant and cool. Looks like little or no thought went into them.

The location of the USB port is odd. Why isn't it in the arm rest or glove box, hidden from view, rather than at the front of the center console with no place to actually put the iPod.

Navigation System: Decent and adequate. Better than the Audi, but also looks dated. Why no terrain or Birds-eye view? (I've previously had an RX and and GS and Lexus has clearly not bothered to update their Nav system much. It's functional and decent...but showing its age. The eDestination (putting addresses in online then downloading them to the car) is a cool idea, but very difficult and unintuitive as to where they actually show up. Doesn't seem like the end up in your destinations but rather you have to find them somewhere in the Lexus Enform menu. And all the functions (in Nav and elsewhere) that are locked out while in motion is just ridiculous.

Other Infotainment Features: XM Traffic -- I like it. XM Weather -- sort of silly since you can only view the forecast when you are at a complete stop. Lexus Insider -- good god, who cares? Now if you could go online and send particular Lexus (or other) podcasts to your car, that might be cool. XM Radio -- suffers from the same clunky interface and ugly graphics as the iPod. XM Sports and Stocks: have no interest/use. The "energy usage" graphics are also really dated-looking. One would think for not much R&D Lexus could give their owners graphics different from those in the Prius.

Lake Keep Assist: I tried it out this morning (while making sure there weren't any cars in the way) and it seemed to work as advertised -- it alarmed and nudged me back into my lane when I started to drift. The downside to the system is that it seems to be inactive more than it is active (I guess because Chicago's lane markers/lines are of wearing off, at least on my regular route).

Radar Cruise: Works great. Really like it.

Heads Up Display: love it. Can see this becoming a "must have" for my next car. (I'm always thinking about my next car...). Wish it would also show some of the hybrid graphics/current MPG graphics.

Front wide angle camera: better in theory than practice. I finally turned off the "auto" mode since having it turn on everytime I stop a light or stop sign (when I'm likely to want to change the radio or iPod) distracting. So I have to remember to enable it when it's really useful (like pulling out of an alley).

LED Headlights: Haven't driven enough at night to know. They really dont seem any different (functionally or aesthetically) from regular Xenons. Cool concept, though.

I'm sure there are some gadgets I forgot. Love the gadgets.

Anyway, just some initial thoughts for those who care to read these things. I love to nit-pick the limitations of the user interface/graphics since these things are a particular interest of mine. I find Lexus' obvious lack of attention to detail when it comes to them disappointing. Having said that, I really do love the car and am sure some of my "gripes" will subside over time. It's fun to identify what I wish was different, while still thoroughly enjoying the car.
Well done. Thanks!
Old 04-14-10, 09:18 AM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two more observations:

(1) why do you push the gear selector doo-hickey forward to go reverse and backwards to to forward?

(2) Lexus Enform: other than, perhaps, the emergency functions (calling 911 if your airbags go off or to locate a stolen car), I don't know why I'd would want to pay for this service (let alone the $200+/year they charge). With iPhones and other Internet connected devices, I just don't have any desire to call and ask some friendly person where the nearest sushi restaurant is. Seems like this is more of a"feature" Lexus added to create additional revenue and as a work-around to the various ways the Nav system is locked out while in motion. I'm guessing 95% of owners do not renew after the 1 year trial.

(Again, these are meant as constructive criticisms, not flaming bashing of my new nearly $50K automobile. "The Pursuit of Perfection" should be just that...)
The Enform allows you to (indirectly) enter destinations into the navigation system while the vehicle is in motion and the nanny feature is locking out the screen.

The doo-hickey's shift pattern matches that of the Prius; they're just being consistent so as not to confuse anyone. I suspect they chose to put "R" above "D" on the Prius is because this is how a typical automatic transmission shift gate is laid out: PRNDL, with R towards the front of the car and D toward the rear.
Old 04-14-10, 12:19 PM
mikemareen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my dad got HS and to be honest it's not worth the money.

there are many small to midsized normal gasoline engines that get 30mpg and cost about 20K range...like the new hyundae sonata.

the car feels like a compact car filled with a bunch of gadgets. at the end it's still a compact car there is no hiding it.

the hybrid addition to this is kinda pointless when other car with normal gasoline engines already get 30mpg.
Old 04-14-10, 03:43 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mikemareen
my dad got HS and to be honest it's not worth the money.

there are many small to midsized normal gasoline engines that get 30mpg and cost about 20K range...like the new hyundae sonata.

the car feels like a compact car filled with a bunch of gadgets. at the end it's still a compact car there is no hiding it.

the hybrid addition to this is kinda pointless when other car with normal gasoline engines already get 30mpg.
Why get an RX when you can get a Highlander for less?
Why get an ES when you can get a Camry for Less?
Why get an LS when you can get an Avalon for less?
Why get a TL when you can get an Accord for less?
Why get a G when you can get a Maxima for less?

Last edited by Argelius; 04-15-10 at 03:02 AM.
Old 04-14-10, 09:01 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Why get an RX when you can get a Highlander for less?
Why get an ES when you can get a Camry for Less?
Exactly, plus the HS 250h's 35 city/34 highway is tops in class for luxury cars and tough to match among all sedans, luxury or not. Normal gasoline engines get about 20 city; of course it's not the same size as a family sedan but that's not the point, the ES is for that size class.
Old 04-15-10, 08:54 AM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Wow...comparing a Hyundi Sonata to an HS ? Not to be rude, but there is no comparison. When the Hyundi is falling apart in 3 or 4 years , the Lexus will still be like new. Addtiionally, the retained residual value of the HS Lexus ( any Lexus for that matter ) will difficult to beat. Sorry, but that's the reality of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 HS 250h: initial impressions after a whopping 5 days