HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Consumer Reports on the HS250: Recommended

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-10, 10:38 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Post Consumer Reports on the HS250: Recommended

The Lexus HS250h is essentially an upscale Prius. It carries numerous components that are similar to those found in the Prius, but it does carry one additional detail not found on the Prius, the Lexus name. Lexus, a make that is synonymous with luxury, coddling the driver, and offering an isolated, serene driving experience has failed to hold true to its high standards with the new Lexus HS250. It's not that the vehicle is a total disappointment just that is doesn't live up to the Lexus nameplate and doesn't do enough to justify its price increase over the Toyota Prius.

Consumer Reports recently published a full review of the 2010 Lexus HS250h and some aspects of the review are provided below.

Though the Lexus HS does manage to return 31 mpg overall, the numbers are simply not up to the competitor's standard. The Ford Fusion Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and Prius all post better mpgs. Gas mileage aside, this Lexus has a jittery ride and a cabin that allows high amounts of wind noise for a Lexus. The steering is vague and lacks feedback while the high stance of the vehicle contributes to a feeling of insecurity around sharp turns. Inside, the HS is full of Lexus touches, but its narrow cabin, odd center console design, and obstructed outward visibility detracts from the driving experience.

Enough of the pitfalls, Consumer Reports did find a few words of praise for the Lexus. Of course, fuel economy is strong for a car of this size and it does have the Lexus fit and finish that cannot be found on a Prius. The engine is fairly responsive providing better acceleration than a Prius and the interior controls are easy to access and well laid out.

Is the Lexus HS 250h better than a Prius? It depends on what you want out of your car. A Prius returns nearly 20 mpg more than the Lexus and does so at a price of $15,000 less. However, the Prius lacks the Lexus fit and finish and interior materials. If you have to have a hybrid with the Lexus badge, the HS is a solid choice, however the Prius delivers more benefits that hybrid drivers seek for a fraction of the price.

Consumer Reports concludes, "Though pleasant overall, the HS doesn't have the refinement, quietness and ride comfort we associate with the Lexus brand. The cabin is narrow and handling is unexciting." The magazine does list the Lexus HS250h as a "Recommended" product.

Source: Consumer Reports Print Edition February 2010

Last edited by GS69; 01-07-10 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-07-10, 11:38 AM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK...so Consumer Reports doesn't like it a lot but the fact is they complain about everything. I understand what they say but don't necessarily agree. If a person wants a Prius then go buy one. I looked at and drove a Prius and although a nice vehicle, doesn't begin to approach the level of quality and fit and finish as the HS. This is my 5th Lexus and , IMO, is as nice as it gets.

The fact that it doesn't get 50 MPG isn't completely relevant as Lexus is trying to balance luxury with better than average MPG. I personally think they did a good job on this one. My only complaint so far is that I think the car would look better if it were about 1" lower which I intend to do something about.

My most recent car was a Mercedes CLK320 which cost $54,000. new and was a constant PITA. When I traded it in it only had 20K despite being 6 years old because it was in the shop so much.

I came back to Lexus and am glad I did.
Old 01-07-10, 02:07 PM
Argelius
Pole Position

Agree with Gary's points. I get tired of the reviews critical of the HS because it doesn't get the gas mileage of the Prius; but if it did, they'd complain it is too sluggish and underpowered. The HS definitely isn't for everybody (just like the Prius), but I'm guessing those that have one (just like the Prius) will love them.

I hope to be one of those people that loves their HS once it finally arrives ("late February or early March")!
Old 01-07-10, 05:36 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Their video review on the car. I can already see that I wouldnt like the presenter in person

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcNnOuANQPk
Old 01-07-10, 07:07 PM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Just watched the video.....what a whinner.
Old 01-08-10, 02:20 AM
bt2
Driver School Candidate

I seriously considered 2010 Prius before I bought HS. We are three drivers in the family, each with very different seat positions. Prius doesn't offer memory seats. I hate to adjust my seat each time I get in the car. HS is the only hybrid that was close enough in mpg and price to the Prius that offered memory seats and a few additional luxuries.

I love the center console design on the HS and the folding display. It is well refined inside and has many thoughtful conveniences and features. The controls are well laid out.

I do notice the road noise when driving on some roads, but I barely notice that (probably because our other cars and my motorcycle are much more noisy )
Old 01-10-10, 07:40 PM
YotaCarFan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never cease to be surprised at how the "expert" journalists only have a superficial knowledge of what they write about. First, the HS is not a "Lexus Prius". Although the Prius & HS wheelbases are suspiciously the same and both use the same hybrid tech, there are major differences, such as the fact they have different engines and the fact the Prius body is an evolved version of its Gen-2 predecessor yet the HS' is a variation of the European Avensis (or US Scion TC).

Second, CR compares the HS' fuel economy to supposed competitors as the Fusion Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and Prius. The HS is a luxury car; the others are not; therefore, one should expect the HS to have more power and toys, resulting in less fuel efficiency.

Regarding CR's claim that the HS has a jittery ride and lots of wind noise inside: I found the wind noise to be less than that of the '07 ES I have. It was, however, noisier and a bit more jittery, likely due to the (IMO) ridiculously low profile tires. Unfortunately, car makers are all trying to outdo each other with bigger and bigger wheels, and ride comfort is sacrificed.

CR claims the car has poor visibility. I did not notice this at all. Their claim that the dash is "odd" is valid; but, that's part of this car's appeal. It's supposed to look high-tech. I personally like it, but think the interior could use a bit more wood, soft touch plastics, and other refinements to make it more Lexus-like.

I noticed nothing unusually "vague" about the steering compared to other Toyota models I've driven (except the IS). Perhaps CR is expecting it to have the road feel of a sports car?

I'm surprised the journalists don't mention the horrible sun visors in the HS250h. It, like the IS250 loaners I've driven, lacks extendable sun visors. (It does have flimsy skinny tabs that pull out, causing the visors to dangle down at an angle when flipped to the side window area, which are ineffective and look incredibly *cheap*.) That, along with other cheap-charlie cost cutting measures like no console box light, low-rent cup holders, insufficient padding in the center lumbar region of the seat, no driver seat cushion extender, virtually non-existent amounts of wood trim, halogen headlamps (unless you special order AFS LED), etc., should not be the case in any Lexus. I would expect an assessment by a big name publication such as CR to document such things, rather than harp on some of the other issues.

Last edited by YotaCarFan; 01-10-10 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-17-10, 09:00 PM
cdave211
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gary1944
OK...so Consumer Reports doesn't like it a lot but the fact is they complain about everything. I understand what they say but don't necessarily agree. If a person wants a Prius then go buy one. I looked at and drove a Prius and although a nice vehicle, doesn't begin to approach the level of quality and fit and finish as the HS. This is my 5th Lexus and , IMO, is as nice as it gets.

The fact that it doesn't get 50 MPG isn't completely relevant as Lexus is trying to balance luxury with better than average MPG. I personally think they did a good job on this one. My only complaint so far is that I think the car would look better if it were about 1" lower which I intend to do something about.

My most recent car was a Mercedes CLK320 which cost $54,000. new and was a constant PITA. When I traded it in it only had 20K despite being 6 years old because it was in the shop so much.

I came back to Lexus and am glad I did.
I totally agree at times they can complain too much. I test drove the hs with my dad and i sense that there is NOT a jittery ride but a tad bit of wind noise
atleast they did not bag the car and gave it an 83 unlike the insight which got a 54.
Please tell me if i am doing something WRONG. I am a newbie and i am ony 13 yet as you see (or will see) my knowledge about cars is vast.
Old 01-18-10, 09:33 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YotaCarFan
I never cease to be surprised at how the "expert" journalists only have a superficial knowledge of what they write about. First, the HS is not a "Lexus Prius". Although the Prius & HS wheelbases are suspiciously the same and both use the same hybrid tech, there are major differences, such as the fact they have different engines and the fact the Prius body is an evolved version of its Gen-2 predecessor yet the HS' is a variation of the European Avensis (or US Scion TC).

Second, CR compares the HS' fuel economy to supposed competitors as the Fusion Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, and Prius. The HS is a luxury car; the others are not; therefore, one should expect the HS to have more power and toys, resulting in less fuel efficiency.

Regarding CR's claim that the HS has a jittery ride and lots of wind noise inside: I found the wind noise to be less than that of the '07 ES I have. It was, however, noisier and a bit more jittery, likely due to the (IMO) ridiculously low profile tires. Unfortunately, car makers are all trying to outdo each other with bigger and bigger wheels, and ride comfort is sacrificed.

CR claims the car has poor visibility. I did not notice this at all. Their claim that the dash is "odd" is valid; but, that's part of this car's appeal. It's supposed to look high-tech. I personally like it, but think the interior could use a bit more wood, soft touch plastics, and other refinements to make it more Lexus-like.

I noticed nothing unusually "vague" about the steering compared to other Toyota models I've driven (except the IS). Perhaps CR is expecting it to have the road feel of a sports car?

I'm surprised the journalists don't mention the horrible sun visors in the HS250h. It, like the IS250 loaners I've driven, lacks extendable sun visors. (It does have flimsy skinny tabs that pull out, causing the visors to dangle down at an angle when flipped to the side window area, which are ineffective and look incredibly *cheap*.) That, along with other cheap-charlie cost cutting measures like no console box light, low-rent cup holders, insufficient padding in the center lumbar region of the seat, no driver seat cushion extender, virtually non-existent amounts of wood trim, halogen headlamps (unless you special order AFS LED), etc., should not be the case in any Lexus. I would expect an assessment by a big name publication such as CR to document such things, rather than harp on some of the other issues.
I agree 100% and it is one of the reasons I did a very lengthy review on the HS loaner I had for 4 days. I just read an AWFUL review of the GS 450h in Autoweek as they simply were evaluating it like it was a 10 year old Mustang or something.

It is CRYSTAL CLEAR they come with their bias and don't even bother really READING about the vehicle they are going to test. Then they don't bother to evaluate it for what it is INTENDED for. It seems in the last 10 years, every car HAS to drive like a Ferrari or it stinks.

You cannot TEST an unconventional vehicle against regular conventional vehicle standards. OF COURSE you will not like it!!!

Originally Posted by cdave211
I totally agree at times they can complain too much. I test drove the hs with my dad and i sense that there is NOT a jittery ride but a tad bit of wind noise
atleast they did not bag the car and gave it an 83 unlike the insight which got a 54.
Please tell me if i am doing something WRONG. I am a newbie and i am ony 13 yet as you see (or will see) my knowledge about cars is vast.

No you posted fine and with a lot of maturity. Welcome to Clublexus.
Old 01-18-10, 11:49 AM
cdave211
Driver School Candidate

Angry

thank you and did any1 see the review of the is250 and the rx350, i noticed they complianed alot espescially in the is chek em out on youtube