HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Clearing up Lexus HS grill design, origination and evolution

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 11:47 PM
LexFather

Post Clearing up Lexus HS grill design, origination and evolution

There have been more than a few posts here and elsewhere concerning the HS grill and some similarities with others and why Lexus uses it.

The first is research has shown MOST hybrid owners do want to "stick out" proudly they drive a hybrid. Lexus hybrids have gone from hardly any differentation with only different wheels, to blue emblems and now different grills, LEDs, What some of you may not know is Lexus has flirted and shown this grill design for over a decade with their concepts...please see below...

This is the biggest pic I could find but way back in 1997 Lexus had the HPS (High Performance Sedan) concept, which was basically a 95% done 2GS. You can see the fat horizontal slants in the grill. The production grill was changed to vertical slants.

The Lexus LF-S was the first "L-finesse" car and also the first with a V-8/hybrid. It also was a preview of the 3GS. Again the grill is flat and horizontal. It debuted in 2003.

Next was the LF-C...supposedly a concept for the next IS. You can see a similar grill. The show car was seen in 2004 but brainstorming began in 2002.
http://www.lexus.com/pursuit/

While not having "slants" exactly, you can clearly see a grill cutout on the first LF-A which debuted in 2005.

Later on in 2005, the preview of the LS came and it debuted as the LF-Sh and it also had a V-8 with hybrid power. You can see the grill evolving here

Lexus research has shown owners and prospective buyers of hybrids DO like standing out (there are those that don't but they are the minority). Thus the grill finally makes its face on the HS proudly as a hybrid and with the hybrid "Blue" emblems to match.

The new LF-ch has a horizontal slant...I postulate only "one' since its an entry level car.

Now the 2010 GS and LS have updated hybrid horizontal slants.

Only the RX 450h is left and I assume its time is coming.
I'm not here to explain if I like it or not or if YOU should like it or not. I'm here to clarify misconceptions of this new Hybrid grill, its origination and now its roll out.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by LexFather; 12-19-09 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-09-09, 02:21 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great collection of evidence to show that a certain other make was not the first to incorporate the wide metallic bar design. It works really well on the concept models, where airflow is not a big concern, whereas on the production models they've had to make changes. In the end I think it is a visually distinctive cue vs. the non-hybrid models, but also a stylistically simple one to come up with (which probably explains why Lexus isn't the only one to now have such a design).

Lexus definitely has taken the route of 'we must distinguish the models' - the IS-F has in-your-face bulging differences, and now the hybrid models are different on the front, side, and rear (and at least in what I've seen so far, the packaging has the RXh less likely to have roof rails--giving a longer look). I actually like the wavy grille on the RXh, it is distinct but in a much more subtle way.

For the HS, its unique looks almost mandated a different grille vs. the 'classic' 2IS, 5ES, 4LS grilles...I do wish there were more curved elements to it, and if the finish could have an even more metallic look, but it does say 'hybrid' to me.
Old 10-09-09, 04:16 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post, and good clarification for those that don't know .

Hybrid owners definitely DO want to stick out, that is one of the reasons the Prius is so popular.
Old 12-10-09, 07:31 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

Althought I think there is far too much b*tching about the grille, I think some of it is because this grille is more or less a complete departure from the grille design of all existing Lexi, which makes the car seem a little "badge engineered", rather than designed-from-the-ground-up Lexus). I think it would look better if the slats filled the entire area (rather than having the open area under the third slat).

Having said that, it grew on me enough that I placed an order for one (the whole car, not just the grille...)
Old 12-10-09, 09:11 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The only hybrid specific grille I am not a fan of is this:

I have had a chance to see all of the variations of hybrid Lexus grilles. The LS600hL looks a lot better in person than in photos. Unfortunately photos don't bring out the true look of any car.

LS600hL:

Old 12-10-09, 09:16 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Come to think of it, the LS600hL's new grille is reminiscent of the Altezza Z edition grille which I had on my IS300 a few years ago. Note the horizontal bars with chrome accents.

Here's a really old pic back from 2007, at about 2am right before Toyotafest 2007 at TM Engineering, car wash session for the NorCal guys. Next to my car is Neo's GS and RMMGS4's wife INDGOGRL with their 04 IS300 in Bluestone up front.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-10-09 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-10-09, 09:18 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

I'm sort of hoping for an aftermarket (but classy) grille option for the HS....