HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Just bought my 3rd HS250H

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-16, 10:12 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my 3rd HS250H

My family is now the proud owner of three hs250h cars. The first one I bought new in 2011. Although I live in SW Florida, the Fort Myers dealer said he couldn't get a premium, or even trade for one. I gave him a down payment and waited four months, and he finally said he just couldn't get one. I never understood why. I do not give up easily, so I started calling dealers all around the country. I learned that Lexus is protective of its dealerships and nobody would ship one directly to me. I finally the dealer in Dallas was willing to trade for one for me, if I was willing to come to Dallas to get it. I said sure. So he traded with a dealer in Washington state, and when he said the car was in, I flew to Dallas and picked it up at the dealership.

So my first one - a 2011 Obsidian with black interior - was brand new. Then after I drove it home, my wife liked it so much I gave it to her, and looked for another one for myself. By now it was 2012 and you still couldn't even order one in Florida, so I looked around again and found a used 2010 in Boston, and I bought my second one - again black, but I think they called this 'black opel' - it had a bluish tint to it in the sunlight. 9,000 miles on it. I could never understand why Lexus imported these so heavily in the north when they seemed ideal for the southern climates. Now I owned two - both black, but the one had a hint of blue in the paint job. the only change I made was to cover the beige grill with flat black wrap on both cars - to me it really made the car look a lot better. I had thought about lowering it so it looked less squatty, but I finally gave up on that and just lived with it.

Now five years later, my grandson was getting married, so last week I gave him the 2010 Black Opel one - it now had 105,000 on it, and was running like new, and I wanted him and his new bride to have a safe car instead of buying something that was perhaps not as safe, and I believe the Lexus is as safe as anything I have seen.

I swear people who see the car still ask if it is a new model - and it just feels 'tight' to drive - it has no sensation of being a 6 year old car whatsoever, even with over 100,000 miles on it. I have never had any trouble with any of the cars, except normal stuff - burnt out headlight (one on each of the cars, oddly enough), and replacing the 12 volt battery on each car, and replacing tires when they were worn. I did oil changes every 12,000 miles (the car indicates it needs an oil change at 10,000 miles, but the dealer said 12,000 is ok, so I followed his advice). I have had Lexus do 100% of the service on both cars, other than tire replacement. The service has been a little pricey, but the quality of service here in Fort Myers is excellent, and they give you a loaner car at no charge if the service is going to take very long. Once when I was out of town and the battery on my wife's car died, the dealer's service rep actually came to my house, which is about 30 miles from the dealer, and delivered a loaner car for her, and jump-started her car and took it to the dealership for service. Unbelievable service as far as I was concerned. The dealer couldn't seem to order the car I wanted, but the service he provides is over the top. And he washes the car when they are done servicing it.

This time after searching on line this summer, 2016, I found two of them for sale - a silver one in Phoenix with 50,000 miles on it, and a red one in Delaware with 35,000 miles on it. I bought the red one - had to get it shipped to me from Delaware by Carmax. It is getting hard to find the ones with the technical package installed, but after driving one with all those goodies, especially the HUD, I never want to drive a car without HUD again. The local dealer tried to talk me into one of the small SUV models, but I wanted a conventional car design, and the ES was not available with HUD, so I ruled it out.

My newest one is red with the two-tone lighter interior. I was not enthused about the two tone with the lighter color seats, as I am afraid they will show dirt more easily, but it does look pretty good if the seats continue to hold up.

Personally I still believe that the HS250H with the technical package (not just a premium one with Navi, as that lacks a lot of the goodies) was the most technically advanced car of its day in that price range, and one of the most fuel efficient of its day, only bested by the Prius. The technology is beginning to catch up, no doubt, but the 2010 hs250h is still near the cutting edge in technology as far as I am concerned. It does not park itself, but parallel parking in the area I live is very uncommon anyway. But it does about everything else, and what it does, it does well.

I do not drive conservatively, and I tend to get 34 to 35 mpg (according to the trip computer) on all of them. Lexus has me spoiled. The car is insanely comfortable, and I am still overwhelmed by the features. As far as the features, I have never tested the thing that is supposed to jiggle the steering wheel to wake you up if you fall asleep - but I still think it is a cool idea. I use almost all the features - including the Inform thing where you call a live human for directions. The only feature I find to be kind of useless is the lane change feature. If I am on the highway and want to change lanes to pass someone, the car fights me a bit, as it is supposed to - so I keep that one off.

The one available option I could never find and would like to have had is the adaptive headlights. Does anyone know if you can install those aftermarket by just buying the parts and installing them? Is the wire harness, etc., already in there so that all you would have to do is buy the parts and plug and play? I know it could be costly, but as I am getting older, it is a little tougher to see as I am going around an unlit corner at night, and would like to have that feature... If anyone knows, I would appreciate some info.
Old 09-11-16, 05:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Congrats on the expanded HS family and post pics! I too received some comments on whether it's a new Lexus model and when I tell them the car is 6 years old, jaws drop for how nice it looks.

As for the adaptive lighting you ask about, others may be able to better chime in, but you can achieve better lighting by replacing the standard light bulbs with higher output ones.
Old 09-12-16, 06:20 AM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default High output headights

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Congrats on the expanded HS family and post pics! I too received some comments on whether it's a new Lexus model and when I tell them the car is 6 years old, jaws drop for how nice it looks.

As for the adaptive lighting you ask about, others may be able to better chime in, but you can achieve better lighting by replacing the standard light bulbs with higher output ones.
What would you recommend for 'high output headlights?
Old 09-12-16, 07:13 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

Regarding lights, Look at this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...low-beams.html

It was also discussed recently, see the low beam thread.
Old 09-12-16, 05:59 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the H11 to H9 upgrade (with a harness adapter so no modifications to the wiring) and have been very satisfied with the improvement. This conversion is very cheap to do.
Just curious, do any or all of your HS250h Lexi have the whining electric motor noise when starting off or slowing down? Mine does and I was told it is normal. Doesn't bother me because it sounds like an electric car. A Camry Hybrid I tested did not have the noise however.
Old 09-13-16, 09:45 AM
MSAGRO
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
What would you recommend for 'high output headlights?
i put in Nokya hyper yellow for the brights. Literally on a dark windy road it not only lights up the road 50 feet ahead, but lights up the trees off the road about 10 feet high. Like driving in quasi daylight. About $15 a pair.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought my 3rd HS250H-image.jpeg  
Old 09-13-16, 06:29 PM
MSAGRO
Driver

Nokya H9 Hyper yellow. Just plug them in. No wiring adaptation needed. Not only do they cut thru the fog and rain, they look cool too. Also fun is on the freeway, when you put the brights on, the green reflective freeway signs light up yellow literally a mile away.

I have used these for years and never had one fail or burn out.

Last edited by MSAGRO; 09-13-16 at 06:34 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 06:31 PM
MSAGRO
Driver

Default ..................

Old 09-13-16, 06:43 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Congratulations! I recently purchased a 2010 HS 250h back in July and love it as well. I plan on updating and doing some minor mods but just been very busy these days...enjoy your HS and happy driving...
Old 09-17-16, 07:01 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RJQMAN
My family is now the proud owner of three hs250h cars. The first one I bought new in 2011. Although I live in SW Florida, the Fort Myers dealer said he couldn't get a premium, or even trade for one. I gave him a down payment and waited four months, and he finally said he just couldn't get one. I never understood why. I do not give up easily, so I started calling dealers all around the country. I learned that Lexus is protective of its dealerships and nobody would ship one directly to me. I finally the dealer in Dallas was willing to trade for one for me, if I was willing to come to Dallas to get it. I said sure. So he traded with a dealer in Washington state, and when he said the car was in, I flew to Dallas and picked it up at the dealership.

So my first one - a 2011 Obsidian with black interior - was brand new. Then after I drove it home, my wife liked it so much I gave it to her, and looked for another one for myself. By now it was 2012 and you still couldn't even order one in Florida, so I looked around again and found a used 2010 in Boston, and I bought my second one - again black, but I think they called this 'black opel' - it had a bluish tint to it in the sunlight. 9,000 miles on it. I could never understand why Lexus imported these so heavily in the north when they seemed ideal for the southern climates. Now I owned two - both black, but the one had a hint of blue in the paint job. the only change I made was to cover the beige grill with flat black wrap on both cars - to me it really made the car look a lot better. I had thought about lowering it so it looked less squatty, but I finally gave up on that and just lived with it.

Now five years later, my grandson was getting married, so last week I gave him the 2010 Black Opel one - it now had 105,000 on it, and was running like new, and I wanted him and his new bride to have a safe car instead of buying something that was perhaps not as safe, and I believe the Lexus is as safe as anything I have seen.

I swear people who see the car still ask if it is a new model - and it just feels 'tight' to drive - it has no sensation of being a 6 year old car whatsoever, even with over 100,000 miles on it. I have never had any trouble with any of the cars, except normal stuff - burnt out headlight (one on each of the cars, oddly enough), and replacing the 12 volt battery on each car, and replacing tires when they were worn. I did oil changes every 12,000 miles (the car indicates it needs an oil change at 10,000 miles, but the dealer said 12,000 is ok, so I followed his advice). I have had Lexus do 100% of the service on both cars, other than tire replacement. The service has been a little pricey, but the quality of service here in Fort Myers is excellent, and they give you a loaner car at no charge if the service is going to take very long. Once when I was out of town and the battery on my wife's car died, the dealer's service rep actually came to my house, which is about 30 miles from the dealer, and delivered a loaner car for her, and jump-started her car and took it to the dealership for service. Unbelievable service as far as I was concerned. The dealer couldn't seem to order the car I wanted, but the service he provides is over the top. And he washes the car when they are done servicing it.

This time after searching on line this summer, 2016, I found two of them for sale - a silver one in Phoenix with 50,000 miles on it, and a red one in Delaware with 35,000 miles on it. I bought the red one - had to get it shipped to me from Delaware by Carmax. It is getting hard to find the ones with the technical package installed, but after driving one with all those goodies, especially the HUD, I never want to drive a car without HUD again. The local dealer tried to talk me into one of the small SUV models, but I wanted a conventional car design, and the ES was not available with HUD, so I ruled it out.

My newest one is red with the two-tone lighter interior. I was not enthused about the two tone with the lighter color seats, as I am afraid they will show dirt more easily, but it does look pretty good if the seats continue to hold up.

Personally I still believe that the HS250H with the technical package (not just a premium one with Navi, as that lacks a lot of the goodies) was the most technically advanced car of its day in that price range, and one of the most fuel efficient of its day, only bested by the Prius. The technology is beginning to catch up, no doubt, but the 2010 hs250h is still near the cutting edge in technology as far as I am concerned. It does not park itself, but parallel parking in the area I live is very uncommon anyway. But it does about everything else, and what it does, it does well.

I do not drive conservatively, and I tend to get 34 to 35 mpg (according to the trip computer) on all of them. Lexus has me spoiled. The car is insanely comfortable, and I am still overwhelmed by the features. As far as the features, I have never tested the thing that is supposed to jiggle the steering wheel to wake you up if you fall asleep - but I still think it is a cool idea. I use almost all the features - including the Inform thing where you call a live human for directions. The only feature I find to be kind of useless is the lane change feature. If I am on the highway and want to change lanes to pass someone, the car fights me a bit, as it is supposed to - so I keep that one off.

The one available option I could never find and would like to have had is the adaptive headlights. Does anyone know if you can install those aftermarket by just buying the parts and installing them? Is the wire harness, etc., already in there so that all you would have to do is buy the parts and plug and play? I know it could be costly, but as I am getting older, it is a little tougher to see as I am going around an unlit corner at night, and would like to have that feature... If anyone knows, I would appreciate some info.
The adaptive headlights are only available as the factory LED option. I have that on my HS, and love it. I have seen them for sale as individual units from Japan, but you could never install them yourself and get them to work. Plus, they are mighty expensive.

The cars with the adaptive headlights have additional settings in the computer display, plus they have a steering wheel position sensor used to swivel the lights around corners, and yes, it really works !! And they have a level sensor on the rear axle to adjust the lights up or down depending on the load in the trunk and back seat. I'm sure the wiring is there from the factory, but you'd never find all the components to make them work.

The thing that supposed to wake you up is the "driver attention monitor". It doesn't wiggle the steering wheel. It monitors the position of your eyes and if you are looking away, and it determines that you might hit something, it warns you with rapid beeps and a dash display. Mine went off maybe twice when I was merging and looking back over my shoulder and the computer thought I was going to hit the "merge" sign in front of me.

Congrats on number three !!!!
Old 09-17-16, 10:08 PM
MSAGRO
Driver

Adaptive headlights. The past two months when I was looking for a used GS 450h, I recall one ad for a Lexus with that feature.

Poster of the ad stated that the car was in great shape (it was a Lexus natch)....but had that dreaded "maintenance needed" light on.

According to the seller, the warning light was from a faulty adaptive headlight circuit and it was a $600 fix.

We we have great cars and those creature comforts are nice to have, but that's an expensive fix for a minor convenience.
Old 09-18-16, 09:43 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default Whiny Noise??

Originally Posted by toomeypj
I did the H11 to H9 upgrade (with a harness adapter so no modifications to the wiring) and have been very satisfied with the improvement. This conversion is very cheap to do.
Just curious, do any or all of your HS250h Lexi have the whining electric motor noise when starting off or slowing down? Mine does and I was told it is normal. Doesn't bother me because it sounds like an electric car. A Camry Hybrid I tested did not have the noise however.
The cars have their own unique sounds - but I do not notice anything that I find loud enough to define as 'whiny.' I suspect it is the battery charger for the high voltage batteries that you are speaking of. I would like to give you a more definitive answer, but I am accustomed to the sounds of these cars and I cannot really identify a whiny sound - i am not saying that it is not there, but I just don't notice it if it is.
Old 09-18-16, 09:45 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default Great answer - thanks

[QUOTE=TheAirman;9622477]The adaptive headlights are only available as the factory LED option. I have that on my HS, and love it. I have seen them for sale as individual units from Japan, but you could never install them yourself and get them to work. Plus, they are mighty expensive.

The cars with the adaptive headlights have additional settings in the computer display, plus they have a steering wheel position sensor used to swivel the lights around corners, and yes, it really works !! And they have a level sensor on the rear axle to adjust the lights up or down depending on the load in the trunk and back seat. I'm sure the wiring is there from the factory, but you'd never find all the components to make them work.

The thing that supposed to wake you up is the "driver attention monitor". It doesn't wiggle the steering wheel. It monitors the position of your eyes and if you are looking away, and it determines that you might hit something, it warns you with rapid beeps and a dash display. Mine went off maybe twice when I was merging and looking back over my shoulder and the computer thought I was going to hit the "merge" sign in front of me.

That is a thorough explanation about the lights. Thanks a lot. I think I will try those yellow ones.
Old 09-19-16, 12:39 PM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAirman
The adaptive headlights are only available as the factory LED option. I have that on my HS, and love it. I have seen them for sale as individual units from Japan, but you could never install them yourself and get them to work. Plus, they are mighty expensive.
Is there a way to identify whether an HS has adaptive headlights?
Old 09-19-16, 06:54 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes there is. All Adaptive LED headlights on the HS have headlight washers built in the bumper.

Just bought my 3rd HS250H-100_1640-1.jpg

And here you can see the one big high beam reflector and to the right are the two swiveling LED projectors. And right under that is a third LED reflector.
Most factory LED's seem to be a multi light system. Cadillac is another one that comes to mind. That's why when you buy any cheap LED bulb "upgrade" from "flea-bay", they end up putting out much less light than the factory H11 bulb they replace. Especially in a projector lens.

Just bought my 3rd HS250H-100_1641-1.jpg