HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

highest mileage HS 250h out there???? any problems???

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 01:15 PM
srinuchall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default highest mileage HS 250h out there???? any problems???

I have recently purchased 2010 HS 250H premium Lexus with 75k miles on it, I am just curious to know what is the highest mileage on HS 250h ?
Is there any potential repairs and hybrid battery problems ?
Old 08-23-16, 05:25 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Probably not the winner here, but my 2010 is around 95K. Only thing so far is an O2 sensor that went around 55K. Still on original brake pads, but almost worn out my 3rd set of tires. I'm now getting a little rattle in the center dash somewhere, which might just be the CD changer. Otherwise no issues, No sign of the traction battery losing any effectiveness, etc. Prius batteries from 2002 are still mostly going strong so I wouldn't worry too much about that for a while.

Hope you enjoy your new ride!
Old 03-01-23, 07:44 PM
bethtaylor
1st Gear

Default Mileage 2010 HSA250

Originally Posted by srinuchall
I have recently purchased 2010 HS 250H premium Lexus with 75k miles on it, I am just curious to know what is the highest mileage on HS 250h ?
I'm up to 165000 miles with no problems. Just replaced the rear brake pads for the 1st time late last year. Will replace front this year. Change oil every 5000-6000 miles. When 1st bought new tires went with Michelin which gave much better ride but interestingly reduced avg miles per gallon a bit. I average 34-35. Bought it from a Lexus dealer it was a demo with 4000 miles on it. Love this car!
Old 03-02-23, 01:48 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Only have 101,500 miles.
I forgot this when posting originally:
Both trunk lid mounted tail lights had many burnt out LEDs. I suspect from years of shutting the trunk lid. I got 2 new tail lights from an online discount Lexus parts source but they were still over $500.
I also swapped out the H11 low beam bulbs for H9 bulbs using an adapter harness. They are much brighter but burn out sooner. But the Philips bulbs are only $10.

I change the oil every 5,000 miles or so and the transmission fluid every 40,000 miles as it is an easy drain and fill.
New 12 volt battery a few years ago.
New rear shocks a few years ago. OEM is the only source but they are an easy couple of bolts although the upper mount in the trunk is a bit strange.
Replaced the front pads and rotors a couple of months ago with Raybestos EHT hybrid pads and their coated rotors. After 11 years I decided to splurge on the rotors as they are probably the last brakes it will see.
I also replaced the rear pads although they had more life in them and also used Raybests EHT.
Engine Coolant was changed around the 10 year mark but hybrid coolant is original.
Brake fluid is flushed every 3 years.
A few years ago I cleaned out the ductwork to the battery cooling fan and the fan itself. The HS being an earlier hybrid does not have filters on the air intakes in the rear seat area. You need to remove the rear seat to get at it and one of the fan bolts is accessed via the trunk where they conveniently put a little access panel to the bolt! There are youtube videos showing how on various Lexus/Toyota hybrids. Keeping the battery cools is a key point for longevity. Mine was not that dusty, but no pets and rarely a back seat passenger.
Was getting some premature ABS activation on the front left under harder braking and cleaned out the ABS sensor and wheel inside the hub. It helped reduce the ABS activation. Youtube videos show how to clean it. It is the same on most Toyotas/Lexus vehicles. You can only do this on the front. The rear is not accessable.
New TPMS sensors about 4 years ago.
New front tires, BF Goodrich G-Force Comp 2. I can't comment on mileage effects. They drive well and handle the rain with no issues. My old Laufen (cheap Hankook) front tires were
leaking with no locatable issues. New tires stopped that problem. The rear Laufen tires are still good with no leaks.

Last edited by Clutchless; 03-03-23 at 05:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clutchless:
billw012pdx (04-11-24), Trexus (03-22-23)
Old 03-02-23, 03:39 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

About 140k on my 2010 now. Only repair since the O2 sensor mentioned above is the rubber cover over the trunk release button. Change the oil once a year with my inspection. Original brake pads still in good shape, car still gets ~35mpg and no sign of hybrid battery degradation. 12v/gel battery replaced a few years ago, and original TPMS sensors finally died last year. My teen drives it to school now, as I've gone EV. Still looks great (garage kept), interior very good with just some wear/small cracks in the driver seat leather. Most reliable car I've ever owned.
Old 03-05-23, 10:59 AM
babbles
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm @ 152700, replaced front brakes and brake fluid within the last year, horn has gone out and audio control on the steering wheel is a little slow, transmission fluid I believe need to be changed again, last did it over 30k miles again, I change the oil about every 5k miles, tires replaced within the last year and half

Last edited by babbles; 03-05-23 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-06-23, 03:07 PM
850R
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Our HS250h at 105,000, mostly city miles. It has been mostly trouble free. Lately, many issues have cropped up. The factory headlight bulbs became very dim a few years ago. I replaced them with LEDs. The trunk struts were replaced last fall. This winter, the fasteners which attach the nut plate to the striker plate backed off. When I tried to resecure the fasteners, the plate simple snapped in half. I think the fasteners make have had damaged threads which may have become cross threaded when reinstalled installed into the nuts which are welded onto the sheet metal plates. Anyways, with the lack of parts, I used a set of license plate inserts which worked well as a very good permanent fix. The LED tail light bulbs that Clutchless mentioned have long since burned out on my vehicle. My original 12 volt battery failed a couple of months ago. I think it was this summer my TPMS Sensors failed and had to be replaced with aftermarket models from Discount Tire. The steering rack is getting a little play/looseness in it. It is only noticeable at speeds over 70 MPH. According to my local dealer, this is an issue that has cropped up on Prius Vehicles of same era as well. Eventually, the Steering Rack will require replacement. Also, the Navigation display screen is getting a strange off-white/cream tint to it. My local stereo shop says most likely that CFL bulb that inside the screen is getting close to the end of its life. The hybrid battery still works well and the vehicle generally gets at 34 MPG City/38 MPG Highway. The engine does not use any oil. So overall it is doing quite well. But with some very expensive maintenance coming up, my wife has been suggesting we look around for a replacement vehicle.
Old 03-20-23, 11:59 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm at over 338K miles and still going strong. She does burn a little over 1 quart of oil for every 5K miles.

Lexus has replaced the transmission and rear control arms at no charge under warranty.

I change my oil (Castrol Edge 0W-20) and oil filter (OEM) every 5K miles. I have changed the 12V battery (OEM). The hybrid (traction) battery still runs like a champ. I've changed the TPMS sensors, pcv valve, spark plugs, both O2 sensors, thermostat, water pump, drive belt, air filter, cabin air filter, changed the brake pads, struts, shocks, tires (Michelin Crossclimate 2), wiper blade rubber inserts. I replace the transmission fluid every 60K miles. I change the coolant/anti-freeze every 100K miles.

I do need to change the lift supports for the trunk, ball joints, etc. I want to see how far I can take my HS...

Last edited by Trexus; 03-24-23 at 01:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trexus:
Clutchless (03-22-23), zeninfinit (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 12:44 PM
zeninfinit
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Close to 300,000, 160,000 and 150,000

I've got 3! The one close to 300,000, has some sludge in the crank case. Any gunk out recommendations? Also did the suspension on it at 150,000. I have another 17" wheel base that needs struts and shocks too. The 160,000 18" wheel base doesn't need a new suspension yet. But I've popped tires in pot holes a few times! Needless to say I love these cars.

Last edited by zeninfinit; 03-21-23 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Trexus (03-21-23)
Old 03-22-23, 10:33 AM
Clutchless

I too have the 18 inch wheels and when I had Goodyear tires popped a couple on pot holes. I got the City to pay for one tire and alignment after I sent in photos of the hole. I switched to the new Goodrich Comp 2 tires and always run them with 35 pounds of air.
Old 03-24-23, 01:20 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zeninfinit
I've got 3! The one close to 300,000, has some sludge in the crank case. Any gunk out recommendations? Also did the suspension on it at 150,000. I have another 17" wheel base that needs struts and shocks too. The 160,000 18" wheel base doesn't need a new suspension yet. But I've popped tires in pot holes a few times! Needless to say I love these cars.
What year are you HS vehicles? The HS is rare since Lexus only had them in the U.S. for 2010, 2011 and 2012. In certain parts of the world and Japan the HS continued until 2017.
Old 04-24-23, 03:05 PM
Derek904
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default High miles

Hi! My 2010 hs250h is currently at 306,000 miles, original engine. Only things done to it are routine maint... Lowered car a few inches and aftermarket wheels. Liked the lex so much that I had to get a 3is as well, love the brand, design and quality!
The following users liked this post:
Trexus (05-08-23)
Old 04-28-23, 05:08 PM
Erockzny
Rookie

im at 180.000 miles, it was recently hit nothing to bad, but now my radio dont work.

maube the audio body shop did something or forgot to connect a wire
Old 05-27-23, 05:05 PM
Dzpalv
1st Gear

Originally Posted by srinuchall
Just bought one today for $4k with 317K. Seems to be running really well. The hybrid system appears to be working well. I haven't fully gone through it but it came with a mountain of service records and was used as an Uber, I can tell that much. I did notice that the front is sitting a bit lower than the rear, any one know if that's just struts?
​​​​​​
Old 05-28-23, 07:11 AM
Clutchless

You probably just need new front struts. Springs rarely wear out. OEM is the only source for this car. There are no aftermarket ones specifically for the HS.
However some folks here did install aftermarket struts that are listed for a different Toyota or Scion model, I forget which one, but those vehicles weigh several hundred pounds less than the hybrid HS.
There is a thread about it on this forum.

Quick Reply: highest mileage HS 250h out there???? any problems???