HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

My #StealthHS

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-16, 04:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default My #StealthHS

Picked up this new-to-me 2010 HS250h Ultra Premium 1st week of June and extremely happy with it so far. As I usually do with my Lexus vehicles, I inject my own flavor to them. I present StealthHS.

Shown here with some very minor mods.

- 35% tints all around
- "Dark Steel" painted rims

Old 06-13-16, 06:16 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Wow!, I stumbled on this post and am surprised on your new ride. I must admit I don't recall ever knowing anything about the HS250h. I did a quick search and only found one within 200mi for sale. All available are very high mileage. After doing some research it sounds like something I may want to look into.

Can you tell us your thinking about finding a replacement for the IS? What else were you considering?

How many miles on it?

Anyway congrats, I like it, especially the deep blue.
Old 06-13-16, 05:30 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Wow!, I stumbled on this post and am surprised on your new ride. I must admit I don't recall ever knowing anything about the HS250h. I did a quick search and only found one within 200mi for sale. All available are very high mileage. After doing some research it sounds like something I may want to look into.

Can you tell us your thinking about finding a replacement for the IS? What else were you considering?

How many miles on it?

Anyway congrats, I like it, especially the deep blue.

Thanks Roger. I briefly considered An Audi A3 eTron, but styling didn't speak to me. I also test drove a CLA, but cramped, stiff riding, and cheap interior. If an IS 300h was available, I'd be in one now. So HS it was for these main reasons.

One, I've had my IS for almost three years and it was time for a change.

Two, averaging 19-20 mpg on 91 octane to my newly traffic-injected commute, I wanted a Lexus hybrid again. I had the CT already and the ESh is too big.

Three, the interior styling, and ride comfort at the bargain price sealed the deal
Old 06-13-16, 07:00 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks great !!

Now if you want to "inject more flavor", try shopping for some stuff at places like LS-Japan or LX-Mode or even some older Grazio stuff. The only problem is, have a few spare credit cards because you'll melt them all buying this stuff.
Old 06-14-16, 12:52 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Congratulations. I traded my 2012 CT F-Sport Special Edition for a 2011 HS250h Premium and have never regretted the decision. It is a much better vehicle for our commute on the pothole covered roads around Washington, DC. Plus the engine is much smoother and faster, the ride better and we are loving the higher driving position, which is a sure sign we are getting old.
Old 06-17-16, 12:23 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
If an IS 300h was available, I'd be in one now. So HS it was for these main reasons.

Two, averaging 19-20 mpg on 91 octane to my newly traffic-injected commute, I wanted a Lexus hybrid again. I had the CT already and the ESh is too big.

Three, the interior styling, and ride comfort at the bargain price sealed the deal
I totally agree and wish Lexus would bring the IS 300h to North America. I love my CT 200h but is a little cramped. The ES 300h is a little to big and not too sporty looking. The IS 300h is the right size and looks sporty.

As for the HS 250h, it's a perfect size, not too small and not too big. I wish Lexus still offered the HS 250h with the new spindle grill in the U.S.

Lexus please bring the IS 300h to the U.S.A.!

Younger Uber drivers would also appreciate the IS 300h in that it gets good mpg and has the sporty look...

Congrats on picking up an HS 250h! Love the color...
Old 06-17-16, 05:52 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't think an IS300h would make a good Uber car. Back seat too tight for adults. One reason I chose the HS over the IS 6 years ago.
Old 06-17-16, 09:21 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I wasn't too sure if the HS had more back seat room than the IS. As for the CT it's cramped in the back seat as well. Lexus should bring the IS 300h to the U.S. to expand the IS line.

IS 200t
IS 300 awd
IS 300h
IS 350

IS F (Lexus please bring back)
Old 06-18-16, 04:48 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Magellan55
I don't think an IS300h would make a good Uber car. Back seat too tight for adults. One reason I chose the HS over the IS 6 years ago.

I believe Trexus is referring to the 3IS...

I also had the 2IS and would agree the HS is roomier than that gen. But the 3IS got bigger inside and I had no issues with back seat passengers. Both HS and 3IS are very similar in practice and on paper at about 90 cu ft total EPA interior volume.

@Clutchless - I'm pleasantly surprised at how smooth the 2.4 LHD engine is. It's actually smoother and quieter than the the newer 2L Turbo 4 in my NX!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 06-18-16 at 04:51 AM.
Old 06-18-16, 04:58 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I had small bubbles forming in the tints I got done including dust trapped underneath. Installer redid all windows. Will post once cured.

Old 06-18-16, 07:07 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Thanks Roger. I briefly considered An Audi A3 eTron, but styling didn't speak to me. I also test drove a CLA, but cramped, stiff riding, and cheap interior. If an IS 300h was available, I'd be in one now. So HS it was for these main reasons.

You opened a new world to me. I'm looking for a hybrid as my next car. The CT was too small for me, so something larger than that and smaller than an RX size. I'm over the NX and it's premium fuel turbo engine among other things.
The HS fits the bill but in my searching they are few and far between. Most of the ones I've found have been very high mileage, like over 90K. This tells me owners are keeping the car longer than normal so it must be good! Being one that never keeps a car over 50K I don't think I could be comfortable in one with that high a mileage and also being a discontinued car. Parts availability? I've read that manufacturers are only required to have parts available 10 yrs after discontinuance, so there is 6 yrs left on that. Does the fact that Lexus is still selling it in Japan make a difference?

Here's a photo of a 2013 HS 250h with the upgraded spindle grill. Anyway one could bring one of those over here?

Old 06-18-16, 09:18 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I think people are keeping their HS longer partly due to the lower resale value once it was discontinued. But yes it is a really good car, assuming you're OK with the oddities of a hybrid drive train. I'm not too worried about parts because it shares a lot with the Camry hybrid, plus it's still sold outside the US. I'm about to hit 90K on my 2010, and only had one issue so far (O2 sensor) besides the recalls.

I plan to keep mine and hand it down to my kids for high school / college, which means about 2027! Of course we'll see if the hybrid battery lasts that long, and whether the car is worth whatever the cost is to replace it. It looks like the earliest Prius batteries are still holding up after 14 years so fingers crossed.
Old 06-18-16, 05:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

^^^+1. Was going to bring up the 07-11 Camry Hybrid as a base for HSD/LHD parts if any issue.

Roger, if one searches long enough, you can find a nice HS in good shape, but I've had to skip over several beat-up ones along the way.
Old 06-20-16, 03:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I darkened the grille to an equivalent "Smokey Granite Mica", but I will likely make it darker still (short of black).

BEFORE:

DURING:

AFTER:
Old 06-20-16, 05:38 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice

These are now at the "sweet spot" for value... They're hitting 6 years old, however still look out of this world.

I hated these things, but in the darker colors [like yours <3 the blue], with a dark interior they're phenomenal.

Have you compared this to a CT200h by any chance? I'm curious as to what they [real world] perceptions are when comparing usable space/passenger comfort & drive-ability are...

Quick Reply: My #StealthHS