HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Depreciation

Old 05-12-16, 04:44 AM
babbles
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depreciation

Is there a certain point where depreciation levels off for the HS250??
Old 05-12-16, 07:12 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

No, all cars continue to depreciate until they end up in the recycling yard. If you mean it may depreciate more slowly than other vehicles because it is a Lexus, that may be true. I would just do an internet search on vehicle depreciation. I think www.kbb.com (the blue book folks) have such data.

However the fact that the HS250h was only imported for 3 years and in low numbers probably affects this factor.

Edmunds had this for the 2010 model only http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/hs-250h...3/cost-to-own/

see this for general information http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/ho...fographic.html

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-12-16 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-13-16, 02:41 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I paid $21,500 for my 2010 HS Premium with all options except LED lights and Mark Levinson audio back in 2013. It had only 29k miles. My local Lexus has offered me $13k for my HS at 79k miles if I trade it in for a new Lexus. They have 2 HS on the lot asking around 17k to 19k with lower miles than mine.

I've been looking at the GS350 and want to get back to it since I used to own 2006 GS. The HS did depreciate a lot since new. I remember my friend paid $45k for a new one.
Old 05-18-16, 08:39 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by babbles
This car in particular has depreciated quite bad. I bought mine in 2014 with 22k miles for $23k. It's a 2010 premium with nav. It currently has about 45k miles which is well below average, and the overall condition is still pretty good. I'd be lucky if I get $12k as a trade or sell it privately for 16k at best. A shame because this car is not bad at all, decent gas mileage and very nicely equipped even by today's standards.

I think those who are snatching these in the used market for less than $15k are getting a hell of a car for the price.
Old 05-19-16, 01:27 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

It's depreciated pretty quickly after they pulled it off the market. But i'm betting it won't depreciate more than normal after this. It's still a Lexus, still has great reliability, styling, comfort, etc, and by the time the car gets to the 8-10 year point people in that market won't be caring so much about stigma and just looking at the car compared to what else they can get for the same price.
Old 05-19-16, 04:24 PM
1neeto
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magellan55
It's depreciated pretty quickly after they pulled it off the market. But i'm betting it won't depreciate more than normal after this. It's still a Lexus, still has great reliability, styling, comfort, etc, and by the time the car gets to the 8-10 year point people in that market won't be caring so much about stigma and just looking at the car compared to what else they can get for the same price.
Even now, think about what kind of car you can get for $15k or less that offers this level of luxury, comfort, gas mileage and reliability?
Old 08-25-16, 11:29 AM
srinuchall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently I bought 2010 Lexus HS 250 H with 75k miles for 12k from third party seller. I feel its an wonderful price and I like the new ride !
Old 08-25-16, 02:10 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Despite low supply, I'd say it's a buyer's market for the HS since very few people even know of its existence, let alone are shopping for one. Better for us folks since this is a hidden gem.

I bought my 2010 at a Lexus dealer for only 16K Cdn with 80k km (50k miles) Ultra Premium (just missing ML and LED headlights).

But echoing Magellan55, I agree that the biggest hit has been absorbed.
Old 08-28-16, 02:35 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
No, all cars continue to depreciate until they end up in the recycling yard. If you mean it may depreciate more slowly than other vehicles because it is a Lexus, that may be true. I would just do an internet search on vehicle depreciation. I think www.kbb.com (the blue book folks) have such data.

However the fact that the HS250h was only imported for 3 years and in low numbers probably affects this factor.

Edmunds had this for the 2010 model only http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/hs-250h...3/cost-to-own/

see this for general information http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/ho...fographic.html
All cars ? Are you sure?
Old 08-29-16, 06:43 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,084 Likes on 926 Posts

No I am not sure, but what does it matter, you got my point, are you just nitpicking here to start an argument?
I would confidently state that applies to almost all cars. There are always exceptions, such as classics, possible future classics (hard to define), rarities, and those low mileage vehicles in great shape that are worth maintaining.
Old 08-30-16, 05:22 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless

I think another huge factor in the depreciation of the HS is the price of gas. No one wants a hybrid. I know someone with a Prius, and his took a big hit since gas is running around $2.25 or so. The dealers say all the small cars really aren't moving, but what is hard to get is a Suburban.

Wait until gas goes up again, and it will, then you can add thousands to the sale price of the HS and it'll sell.
Old 08-31-16, 06:03 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheAirman
I think another huge factor in the depreciation of the HS is the price of gas. No one wants a hybrid. I know someone with a Prius, and his took a big hit since gas is running around $2.25 or so. The dealers say all the small cars really aren't moving, but what is hard to get is a Suburban.

Wait until gas goes up again, and it will, then you can add thousands to the sale price of the HS and it'll sell.
Good point. Related to that is the improved mpg of today's new cars, making hybrids less relevant. My son just bought a turbo Civic that gets a combined 35 mpg - same as the HS. It's quicker 0-60, and comes with a lot of the same tech (and some we don't have, like Apple Car Play), all for only $23K. Not as luxurious of course.
Old 09-10-16, 09:25 PM
RJQMAN
Driver

Default Heavy depreciation 1st couple of years

Originally Posted by babbles
Seems like it levels off between 15K and 22K, no matter what year it was. The difference seems to be in premium vs standard, and in mileage. Of course if the car was in an accident, as with any car, value goes down.
Old 09-30-16, 09:10 AM
Addroc
Driver School Candidate

Default My 1st Lexus

I purchased my 2010 HS 250 with 83k miles from the dealership on October 1, 2015 for $11,998 in MA.

I noticed the price was significantly low for a Lexus & the retail value was going for $15,000. I felt like it was too much of a good investment to pass up.

Before the purchase I was concerned so I did research on all consumer reviews I found out the recall information and made sure the dealership replaced the recalls. All in all it's the best car I've ever owned.

It is also the first hybrid I've ever owned so I do worry about ware & tare and certain repairs I will have to make some day. I may even trade/sell before it gets to that point just to make a gain on my investment.

QUOTE=srinuchall;9597052]Recently I bought 2010 Lexus HS 250 H with 75k miles for 12k from third party seller. I feel its an wonderful price and I like the new ride ![/QUOTE]