HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Just purchased 2011 HS ... few questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-16, 10:42 PM
Gx470blk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased 2011 HS ... few questions

hi guys, just bought 2011 w/34k last weekend. want to upgrade the lighting and sound system. Considering it's hybrid car, I just want to know the limitation. HID for headlight and fog will those fine ? and adding aftermarket amplier ? ( how big of wattage ) any input will be appricated.
by they way I love the car, never had hybrid before. Is that right about change the oil every 10k?
Thank you ....
Old 02-09-16, 08:03 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations. Do you have a Premium model with Navigation and bigger wheels? Or the standard model? They have different audio systems.

You should learn to use the search feature as there have already been a few threads on headlight upgrades. I searched HID, but try other terms. Here is one thread I found which details how I upgraded my low beams https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hs-...low-beams.html

There are a few highly recommended companies for HID or LED headlight upgrades. Searching will find them.

I had these links bookmarked that were mentioned in other threads because they were highly recommended by members

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/hi...l#.VroOzflVhBd

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-LED-he...h11-led-hl.htm

Regarding the amplifier upgrade, I have no information.

Yes, the recommended oil change interval is 10,000 with synthetic 0w20 oil. The factory oil is made for Toyota by ExxonMobil and is Mobil 1 with a better additive pack.

Also change your transmission fluid. See the thread on it as it is easy to do, like on a manual transmission. You just drain the fluid and pour in about 4 quarts until it comes out the fill hole. It only takes Toyota WS Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Finally, register with Lexus online as the new owner because there is the new service campaign to replace the fuel pump and its wiring harness. It is better to get it done by them because this is a $1,000 repair! Mine is at the dealer right now getting it done.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-09-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-10-16, 10:47 PM
Gx470blk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the input, it's premium with nav and bigger wheels. The fuel pump and its harness campaign, is it a recall ? so I can call my local lexus dealership ? also the 10k oil change, I probably drives about $6k a year ... so what do you recommend ?
Old 02-11-16, 07:52 AM
Clutchless

Yes, it is sort of a recall. They call it service campaign because it is not safety related. Recalls are only for safety items. They will replace the fuel pump etc. I just had mine done. Take it in with less than 1/4 tank of gas so they do not make a mess removing the fuel pump which is in the gas tank under the rear seat. My dealer filled up the tank after ward.

Call your local Lexus dealer and have you VIN ready so they can look it up for you and make an appointment. Tell them you just bought it used.

Also join the Lexus drivers owners site run by Lexus and register your vehicle. While there you can also look up its service history! Then Lexus will know how to reach you with any other recalls including this one.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

I would change the oil once a year even if the mileage is less than 10,000. That is what I do on my RX350 which is not driven more than 6,000 miles a year. Oil turns acidic over time and needs to be changed even if low miles.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-11-16 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-15-16, 06:05 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Yes, it is sort of a recall. They call it service campaign because it is not safety related. Recalls are only for safety items. They will replace the fuel pump etc. I just had mine done. Take it in with less than 1/4 tank of gas so they do not make a mess removing the fuel pump which is in the gas tank under the rear seat. My dealer filled up the tank after ward.

Call your local Lexus dealer and have you VIN ready so they can look it up for you and make an appointment. Tell them you just bought it used.

Also join the Lexus drivers owners site run by Lexus and register your vehicle. While there you can also look up its service history! Then Lexus will know how to reach you with any other recalls including this one.
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...-lexus/home.do

I would change the oil once a year even if the mileage is less than 10,000. That is what I do on my RX350 which is not driven more than 6,000 miles a year. Oil turns acidic over time and needs to be changed even if low miles.
Two great responses !!

Thanks for the tip on the 1/4 tank of gas. I've got to get mine done soon.
Old 02-18-16, 04:27 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Good to know. I recall they topped off my tank with every recall, as a way of compensating me for having to take the car in. Maybe it's just my dealer? Though I think others mentioned it too with previous recalls. But this time they specifically want the tank empty, and that makes sense.
Old 02-18-16, 09:28 AM
Clutchless

They also gave me 2 months of free SiriusXM. However, I think they did it for my other Lexus, the RX350 as it does not work in the HS after I activated it. I think this is because I had a trial account with the RX when I got it used from a Cadillac dealer, and when I got the HS used from a Mitsubishi dealer it still had a few months remaining on the original owner account, but I never renewed it.
Old 03-03-16, 12:21 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@Gx470blk - I apologize for the late reply, although it looks like your questions were addressed already! Just a couple of things about HID vs LED:

HID will get you more light output then any LED kit. You will get better light spread, and a "whiter" light -- assuming you go with a 4300k HID kit. IF you do go with an HID kit, make sure you choose one that has a low-draw ballast, to ensure you do not have any issues with the lights turning on/off during auto mode.

LED kits be plug+play, and will get you "instant-on" functionality. This is a great review comparing stock, to LED, to HID:

http://www.xenondepot.com/highlander...eview-s/52.htm

Steve