HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Upcoming 60k Service

Old 11-22-15, 09:55 AM
rjsHS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upcoming 60k Service

Bringing to dealer shortly for 60k service, am wondering what sorts of things they might "recommend" to do and charge that are typically "excessive" for 60k?

Car is solid, nothing problematic, not a hard life. Is a current CPO car and I've kept up the service at dealers. Fluids in reservoirs look very clean, brake fluid looks brand new! I don't have the CPO inspection sheet handy, but recall that everything was very updated. I've changed engine and cabin air filters recently.

For replacement work as called for in the manual for 60k, I only see the following:
- engine oil/filter
- brake fluid
- both air filters (already done)

That's it in the manual!

Manual also says:
- Engine coolant listed at 100k miles.
- Trans fluid "sealed" (I need to re-read the threads on this)

Thanks, RJ
Old 11-22-15, 06:00 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't recall the 60K service being huge - maybe a couple hundred bucks, as I had the filters replaced.
Old 11-22-15, 07:23 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The biggest part, and the most important part of the 60K service is the brake fluid change.

And with the electric braking system, and astronomical cost of the system parts if they break, I would make sure that they change the fluid. Not just in the master cylinder, but do a complete system flush using the computer and put the car into it's "service mode" with the computer.

From what I understand, and what I've read in the service manual, it's a pretty big job for the looks of it. I'd be interested if they really did it, as sometimes the dealer will just suck a little fluid out of the master cylinder, put some new in so it looks clean, and call it a brake fluid change. They ripped me off twice like that with my BMW. That's one of the reasons I didn't get another BMW. Their shoddy, deceptive, expensive service.

The HS looks like one of the first cars that I've owned that needs a computer to assist in the fluid change. Please let us know how it went and what they did.
Old 11-23-15, 07:47 AM
rjsHS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip on the brake fluid change, that's critical to me. The owners manual doesn't get specific about that at all, other than saying replace and have it done by a qualified technician. The manual wants to replace every 30k miles. I'll see what the dealer says, clarify, and post up.
Old 11-23-15, 06:50 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It critical to me too. And since you seem interested, here's how you do it per the manual.

Brake Fluid.pdf

From reading it, it looks like you can do it yourself. I'll have to re- read it.

But it's not the same old bleeding method I'm used too. This electric braking system with an accumulator is a whole new ballgame. It looks like you might be able to mess up and set some codes only the dealer computer can clear.

Most other cars, even the new anti-lock systems, you just have the helper mash the pedal to the floor and hold it there while you open the bleed screw. This one, I'm not too sure about yet.

Let us know what they say.
Old 11-25-15, 05:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

I would have them change the transmission fluid. It is not hard or expensive on the HS250h as it is a simple drain and fill like a manual transmission. It only holds about 4 quarts. I did mine at 30,000 and it took about 30 minutes.

You really cannot do the brake fluid change/flush yourself, due to the hybrid system and the regenerative brakes. Any qualified repair shop has the equipment/software to do this. I just had it done at a trusted local independent repair shop when I got new tires and an alignment. It was about $125.

I work on my own cars and have a vacuum flush machine, but would not attempt it on the hybrid as you really need the software to activate the pumps inside the regenerative system/accumulator.
Old 11-25-15, 08:05 PM
rjsHS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips! Here's how it went: when making the service appointment on the phone, I asked what replacement work was included in the 60k service, adviser said oil/filter, brake fluid, engine air filter and cabin air filter. I said I had recently changed the two air filters, so that was subtracted. Then I asked "is this a full brake system flush where you put the car in service mode?" and answer was yes.

When dropping off, I asked again about a full brake flush with the computer in service mode, and they said yes. The total bill for the 60k with oil/filter and brake flush, plus a few little gotchas like a key battery, fuel injector cleaner, windshield washer antifreeze, came to about $400 (metro Atlanta prices.) I was going to scan the service bill for you, but when I got it I saw that the only reference to the brake flush is "MRBF Replace Brake Fluid" and 2 units of "00475-1BF03 Brake Fluid" which I guess is pints, because 2 quarts seems too high. The labor charge for the full 60k service (about 20 line items, including the brake flush) was 2.90 hours.

Hope this helps! Let me know if any other questions. Good luck with your HS. Thanks, RJ