HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

day/night auto switch of screen

Old 11-18-15, 04:00 PM
mshaaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default day/night auto switch of screen

Hi, The screen on my 2011 hs used to switch between day and night modes automatically (I bought it used and have been driving it for about 7 months now). I am not sure which setting got messed up while I was playing with the settings - the screen does not switch automatically any more. After reading through these forums I found out that the instrument panel light should be set below the max. All the threads here talk about turning the **** to the left. My model has a button that adjusts the instrument panel lighting and it is NOT on max. I am lost as to what other settings to try in order to get the automatic switching back. My lights are on 'auto', instrument panel brightness is lower than 'max', sensitivities are set at normal (middle of the range). The only way I can switch now is to press the day mode button manually. Thanks for all your help.
Old 11-19-15, 06:44 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,090 Likes on 930 Posts

I don't have an answer, but since this feature is common to all Lexus vehicles, I suggest you search in a much larger and more active section, such as the ES350 or RX350 categories.
Old 11-19-15, 09:09 AM
mshaaz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. I did do a search across all forums and like I mentioned in my question, all of them talk about adjusting a manual **** to reduce the instrument panel brightness in order to kick in the auto day/night mode switching of the screen. In my case, I do not have a ****, it is a button <---> to increase or decrease brightness and I tried reducing it as well without any success.
Old 11-22-15, 07:46 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With the headlight switch in the "auto" position, turn the car on to either the "on" mode, or "ready" mode (not the 'acc" mode) and press the little "display" button on the left side of the joy stick, just below the "enter" button next to the joy stick.

The display contrast adjustment will pop up and the "day mode only" button will be at the top. I bet you have it highlighted. De-select it.
Old 11-23-15, 08:21 AM
mshaaz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your response. I double checked and as I mentioned in my original post, the lights are on 'Auto', the day mode is not selected either.

I think my issue is that the headlights are not turning off during day time even when they are on 'Auto'. Not sure if the sensor has gone bad. If I switch the headlights to 'off' or DLR off mode, then the screen switched back to day mode automatically.

Any ideas on how to check and see if the sensor has gone bad. I am not sure where to find the sensor. Will do some more reading here.
Old 11-23-15, 06:35 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, I reread. So your screen stays in the night time darkened mode until you manually switch it to daylight mode, right? And when you manually turn off the headlights, it switches back to daylight mode?

If that's the case, I would guess your troubleshooting is correct and your headlights aren't turning off during the day, or the sensor is bad.

The sensor is that little "magic eye" in front of the passenger seat, on the dash, right up near the windshield edge. I can turn my car on to the "ON" mode in the dark garage, the headlights (auto) go on, and shine a bright flashlight at the sensor and watch my screen go from day mode back to night mode. But strangely, the headlights stay on. It must take more time or more light to make the headlights go off.

Try the bright flashlight method to see if your sensor might be bad.
Old 11-24-15, 12:15 PM
mshaaz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response. Looks like a bad sensor. Will take it to the dealership for repaid.