HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Car will sit for 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-15, 08:27 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Car will sit for 3 months

This car will sit undriven for 2 to 3 months. I remember reading something in the owners manual that needed to be done if the car would sit undriven for a long period of time. I think it was related to the hybrid battery. We have misplaced the owners manual. Anyone know what needs to be done? Thanks!
Old 10-25-15, 05:43 AM
sublexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this link

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...nual-search.do
Old 10-26-15, 02:36 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Put some Stabil in the gas tank and drive it around for at least 10 minutes to get it distributed throughout the fuel system. It stabilizes your gasoline so it does not turn to varnish, which it starts doing in 30 days. You can get it at any auto parts store, Wal-Mart etc.
Old 10-26-15, 07:15 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine sits every winter also. Besides that, I have a lower insurance rate because I put the HS on a yearly three month "lay up". I usually start the lay up in the middle of December.

That being said, before I put it away, I try to drive it around enough to make sure the battery show full with all the bars before I shut it off, and most of the time, I do not start it again for 3 months. I've never had a problem with the traction battery going low. In fact, after sitting, I don't think it went down more than 1 bar.

I do put a "Battery Tender" on the 12 volt battery by hooking it to the little "jump" connectors in the fuse box under the hood. I never had a problem with the 12 volt battery either. But make sure you use a battery tender or float charger, not a trickle charge. A trickle charger might overcharge and ruin your expensive gel 12 volt battery.

I also used Stabil in the gas in the past also. And I try to give it a coat of wax so it nice and clean at the beginning of spring.

The only problem I ever had was the tires get a little flat spot when you first drive it from sitting, but it goes away in about 1 mile.
Old 11-07-15, 07:30 PM
Janinda
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus HS 250h 2010 Wont Start

I have lexus hs250h 2010 car ,2 days ago suddenly wn i tried to start the car it started but suddenly engine shuts down. All the lights lit up. And again i tried to start the car. Same again. Car works with hybrid battery and wn it turns on the engine car shuts down. And and starnge sound comes from the gear box. Now car wont starts. I asked a engineer to scan the car but the error code is poa 94. Means ac dc converter problem. But car works fine with hybrid battery power. And he said there is a problem in the gear box and inverter. The car has done only 59000kms. Pls somebody tell me what to do??is this lexus made in china. I mean how come the gear box and inverter problems come at this mileage??i want to contact lexus company and report this.
Old 11-09-15, 07:17 AM
Clutchless

Make sure you have gas in the tank! If you run out the dealer has to re-set the electronics for it to run again because it goes into some sort of safe mode to protect the battery.

You need a Toyota or Lexus dealer to run a diagnostic on the car. It sounds like an electronic problem. It has the same drivetrain as a Toyota Camry Hybrid which is why a Toyota dealer could help if there is no Lexus dealer nearby in Sri Lanka.
Old 04-28-16, 01:00 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

If possible, start the car and let it run for 10 minutes every couple weeks.
Old 04-28-16, 10:49 PM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Janinda
I have lexus hs250h 2010 car ,2 days ago suddenly wn i tried to start the car it started but suddenly engine shuts down. All the lights lit up. And again i tried to start the car. Same again. Car works with hybrid battery and wn it turns on the engine car shuts down. And and starnge sound comes from the gear box. Now car wont starts. I asked a engineer to scan the car but the error code is poa 94. Means ac dc converter problem. But car works fine with hybrid battery power. And he said there is a problem in the gear box and inverter. The car has done only 59000kms. Pls somebody tell me what to do??is this lexus made in china. I mean how come the gear box and inverter problems come at this mileage??i want to contact lexus company and report this.
Your 12V battery is low. Jump start it or replace the battery
Old 04-29-16, 12:21 PM
Clutchless

I doubt we will ever hear from Janinda again.
Old 05-09-16, 08:08 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ALtin107
If possible, start the car and let it run for 10 minutes every couple weeks.
Sorry, I don't agree with that. In a normally aspirated car maybe, but not a hybrid.

If you start the HS from cold, according to my ScanGauge, it'll idle until it reaches a coolant temp. of around 130 F. It will then shut off until the engine cools to around 112 F, start back up and warm to 130 f again. It will repeat that cycle all day or until you run out of gas or shut it off. The engine will never reach full operating temperature until you drive it.

All that does is fill your expensive exhaust system with lots of condensation which causes it to corrode from the inside out.

You are better off just letting your car in storage sit, and if you do start it, drive it until it reaches full operating temperature (about 195 F in the HS) so you burn off all the condensation in the exhaust and the engine oil.

The HS will never reach full operating temp. just idling in Park.