HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

How does the hs drive in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-15, 08:56 AM
marshmalow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the hs drive in snow?

Just bought a 2010 premium for my wife ..... how does it handle in snow/winter driving?
does it need snow tires? Or is the weight of the hs help it's handling in snow?
thanks for helping!
Old 10-02-15, 02:50 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

If I lived in Wisconsin, I'd get snow tires on pretty much any car :-)

I guess it depends on how much snow you plan to drive it in. I get by with all-season tires, but here in NC we only get like 3-4 inches, and if it's any more, I don't venture out. You also have to consider ground clearance. Otherwise, I'd compare it to any other front-drive sedan.
Old 10-05-15, 02:29 PM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

weight of a car makes it worse in the snow, not better. Momentum sucks.

Snow tires increase traction for braking, acceleration and steering. If you love/care about your wife, buy her some winters.
Old 10-10-15, 02:46 AM
GS300ken
Pole Position

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmalow
Just bought a 2010 premium for my wife ..... how does it handle in snow/winter driving?
does it need snow tires? Or is the weight of the hs help it's handling in snow?
thanks for helping!
Turn off traction control and change to Power mode, you will be fine in snow. My wife got stuck 2 years ago from a parking lot to the road, no powers to get out and the front wheels won't spin when she was in normal mode. Change the mode and turn off traction, it got out like a wild horse
Old 10-11-15, 09:39 PM
WNYhs250h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
weight of a car makes it worse in the snow, not better. Momentum sucks.

Snow tires increase traction for braking, acceleration and steering. If you love/care about your wife, buy her some winters.
It varies on what people mean by "driving in snow" I think.

If you're slow rolling in snow (unplowed driveway, unplowed street) weight is advantageous. Many people who live in the US Northeast only really complain about this. You see a lot of used Scions and Nissan Cubes because people buy them and forget about the winter.

As for slick roads due to ice and slush (both are equally terrible) and small amounts of snow, you're spot on - the lighter the better. Snow tires are key in these conditions as more weight won't make them any more effective at any speed above 10mph.
Old 10-12-15, 07:32 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WNYhs250h
It varies on what people mean by "driving in snow" I think.

If you're slow rolling in snow (unplowed driveway, unplowed street) weight is advantageous. Many people who live in the US Northeast only really complain about this. You see a lot of used Scions and Nissan Cubes because people buy them and forget about the winter.

As for slick roads due to ice and slush (both are equally terrible) and small amounts of snow, you're spot on - the lighter the better. Snow tires are key in these conditions as more weight won't make them any more effective at any speed above 10mph.
I had a Scion, and it went like a 4 wheel drive in the snow, especially with a set of 4 Blizzaks. It was light and controllable.

A couple of the best, and most fun cars I had to drive in the snow were a older VW bug, and a MGB. With a pair of snows on the rear of those cars, I remember passing up 4 wheel drive Bronco's on hills.
(I'm really dating myself here!)