HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Here we go again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 12:19 PM
toomeypj
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here we go again.

Green Car Reports just blasted our HS250h in their new article "Ten Used Hybrid Cars To Consider Steering Clear Of: UPDATED". I am perfectly happy with my used car for the price I paid. When I sell in a couple of years I need a luxurious car with a fold down rear seat or a small SUV that gets good mpg such as the Buick Encore. I am satisfied with my HS250h considering I paid less than a new Camry hybrid would have cost (and you see hundreds of Camry's every day - boring).
Here is the link so you can get aggravated:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...lear-of/page-2
Old 08-24-15, 05:57 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's actually almost a word for word repeat of an article from about 3 years ago. Not much new here.
Old 08-26-15, 11:29 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article missed a few points about this car. First off, the unpopularity in the used car market actually works well for buyers (cheaper). This car is unique since not that many are sold but it also shares the powertrain with the Camry Hybrid which means independent shops will also know how to service it. It is a Lexus with tons of build-in gadgets and is not a Prius so expecting the same MPG is unrealistic. I was casually looking and there are a few of them selling for a reasonable price with low mileage here in Southern California.

Last but not least, the HS250h uses the 2.4 liter hybrid which is the 1st gen engine used in the Camry hybrid. The newer hybrid engines used in the ES/Camry are the 2.5 which offers more power and better MPGs.

From the article:

While it used the more powerful 2.5-liter engine and powertrain from the Camry Hybrid, it weighed fully 700 pounds more than a Prius--so the HS was rated at just a 35-mpg EPA combined gas mileage rating, far lower than the 50-mpg Prius.
Old 08-28-15, 05:03 PM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, I'm not seeing any reason here for someone to avoid it. So his opinion is, it wasn't a popular car, I don't like how it looks, and I don't understand what class it's in, so don't buy it? As TPLEXUS points out, the unpopularity gets factored into the price, so that's already moot. It's not in the same class as a Prius, so what's the point comparing it in this article? It's not a Porsche either - so what? And looks are subjective - someone that doesn't like the looks won't buy any car, but if someone does like the HS looks, why not? Nothing he mentions are reasons to avoid it as a used car. There's no mechanical problems, unexpected behavior, etc - nothing that says these cars turned out to be lemons after a few years. Mine has been nearly flawless, I see very little complaints of failures on this forum, and Consumer Reports surveys say most owners have the same experience - overall much better than average reliability score for the 2010's.
Old 09-14-15, 09:35 PM
WNYhs250h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things:

1.) It's my impression that a lot of hybrids don't have fold-down rear seats. Due to keeping the car compact, light, and housing the 12V battery/other components, it wasn't a priority. Yes, newer hybrids are incorporating this feature, but is this really a huge deal? They still make sedans that have this feature optional. If this is important to you, then walk away from the HS250h. For me and probably many others, it's not a big deal.

2.) I admit I've had my HS250 for a grand total of 2 days. Am I the only one who can get 40+ mpg during my daily drive? My drive is completely flat, I accelerate normally, and I run it in Eco mode all the time. This is the route I drive every day, and will continue to drive every day. I realize that 37 mpg is the reported max, and it's less than other hybrids, but I'm sorry - I do manage to get better under normal conditions.

3.) "The engine howls under full acceleration." While I stick to what I said in #2, I like this feature. When I'm getting up to highway speeds, I can quickly and safely merge with traffic without any effort or worry. This is a side effect of being able to squeeze some good performance out of a class of cars that sometimes lacks it.

4.) The lackluster sales are because it "doesn't feel like a Lexus" not because it's a bad car. Lexus owners are proud of their brand (and they should be as it's the most reliable brand 4 years running). I fully understand the gripes. However, the design of the car is pretty awesome for what I need. The suspension is a little rough, but that short wheelbase, FWD, and great steering makes it feel like a rally car...with great mileage and premium features.

Maybe I'd have been somewhat disappointed if I bought new, but this report was published a month ago - years after the model has been discontinued. People looking for a luxury hybrid are buying used (obviously) and I paid $18k for mine that didn't even have 44,000 miles on it. It's a great car, and I'm not just drinking the Kool-aid.
Old 09-16-15, 09:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Before getting the 2011 HS250h I had a 2012 Lexus CT200h with the Prius engine for 2 years. The HS is MUCH QUIETER than the noisy rough sounding 1.8 Prius engine when you accelerate hard. That car made some of the worst engine noises and was so bad that I added paint on sound deadener inside the front wheel wells to reduce the howl.
I do not think the HS is any louder than any other of the many cars I have had and certainly quieter than many of them.