HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Hybrid Drive Battery Life

Old 08-01-15, 07:33 PM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hybrid Drive Battery Life

We have a 2010 with 173,000 miles and I'm wondering how long we can expect the hybrid battery to last? I know they are expensive to replace and would like to do all we can to stretch out the service life all we can. On that note would a hybrid coolant change help at all? Spoke to Lexus service and they said if it's not leaking or discolored, leave it alone.
Old 08-02-15, 09:44 AM
Magellan55

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have personal experience, but I hear the Prius batteries have done really well, lasting 10 years or more. I'm pretty sure we use the same type. Consumer Reports did a lookback study, and compared a 2002 Prius at 10 years / 200,000 miles to the specs it had when it was new, and noted very little drop-off in power or efficiency:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...d-up/index.htm

You might want to hop on over to the Prius forums and ask around, or the Camry hybrid crowd, if you want a more closely matched drivetrain to the HS.
Old 08-05-15, 11:33 AM
colenzae
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply, and the link. That sounds encouraging. At the rate we are putting miles on this car, we will blow past 200k in about another year!!! We shall see how she holds up. The 2002 RX we have has been a tank. 235,000 with no engine or transmission issues. Good luck with your HS. We love ours!!
Old 08-09-15, 01:21 PM
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also, if you're handy, you can replace individual cells inside the traction battery, by yourself. It's ten times cheaper. Just replace the dead ones.

The battery itself is not too hard to get out as a unit, but it is a back breaker and you better have a helper.

I don't understand why they said leave the coolant alone. The manual calls for engine coolant change at 100,000 miles and the inverter coolant change at 150,000 miles.
Old 08-09-15, 08:54 PM
TLPLEXUS
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have the same year model and i am pleased to hear that you are able to hit that high mileage number without seeing any major issues. Not sure where you are exactly but there are a few independent shops in Southern California that specialize in the hybrid battery replacement.

I contacted one of them and they told me that i am good until i reach 150k miles (since the traction battery is covered by the dealer). But in your case, you are out of that range. These guys seem to be able to tackle the battery replacement at a discount.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hybrid-batte...orth-hollywood
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hybri...-westminster-2

Originally Posted by colenzae
We have a 2010 with 173,000 miles and I'm wondering how long we can expect the hybrid battery to last? I know they are expensive to replace and would like to do all we can to stretch out the service life all we can. On that note would a hybrid coolant change help at all? Spoke to Lexus service and they said if it's not leaking or discolored, leave it alone.